Is it dangerous to book a cabin with a balcony? (dd is 3.5)

(10 Posts)
justwaitaminute Fri 17-Jun-11 21:33:15

Not sure who you are cruising with but P&O will provide balcony nets if you ask them, I'm sure most cruise lines would be the same

Bucharest Sat 21-May-11 17:29:07

Never been on a cruise but live in a flat with abalcony...along with 50million other Italians.....

They tend to be fairly high railings, certainly dd, a tall 7, can only just fit her nose over the top now.

It depends on where the rooms with the balconies are. We were on the Thomson Dream and the rooms with the balconies were on the top floor so the sides were higher than the rest of the boat.

AngryFeet Fri 20-May-11 14:21:31

What difference between a balcony and the rest of the ship though? Surely they are the same height as the sides on the decks?

I forgot about the horn. And ours was so bloody windy (transatlantic) that we were far more bothered about dd being flung backwards into the room that falling over the edge grin

The balcony we had on our cruise last year came up as high as my shoulders and the balcony furniture was nowhere near high enough to climb up to it. Our DD had just turned 2 and hated being on the balcony anyway after we were out one night and the fog horn started grin

DD was 2.8 when we went last summer and she was absolutely fine. THe balcony we had, she would have had to be superwoman to climb over it anyway. My nephew was not quite 2 and they weren't allowed to book a balcony stateroom. I don't know if every company stops you booking if they're too young though.

I think she'll be fine and, having done an inside room previously, a balcony is so much nicer smile

Mumleigh Fri 20-May-11 13:42:29

We recently rented a holiday villa which had a balcony off of the kids bedroom. We also have a first floor balcony off of our spare room in our home.

We took no chances on holiday and locked it and hid the key in our room up high. I would have thought that as long as you do the same and only allow her on the balcony when you are also out there it will be fine. I am the same at home - the balcony door is always locked and the key well hidden.

We are going on a cruise in August with a 5 and 3 year old and will not have a a balcony although I'd love one just so that we can sit outside and have a drink while the kids are asleep in the cabin.

BelovedCunt Thu 19-May-11 17:45:25

there is a cruise topic???????????

i imagine it will be safe [mind boggles at thought of 3 year old on cruise]

ArtyJennie Thu 19-May-11 17:42:32

I Thought it might be a bit of an unnecessary risk- not that we would let dd on balcony alone- or even the cabin for that matter! I was worried she might open the door when we werent looking and climb on the balcony chairs and jump out! Shes a calm/ nervous child - so this is highly unlikely.

dh thinks i am being OTT and wants to get a balcony cabin- are they safe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now