Cruise and seasickness

(11 Posts)
DoubleMum Sun 06-Jan-13 19:58:38

Have never been seasick on 5 cruises. We take Stugeron on the 1st night if going through the Bay of Biscay (which guarantees a good night's sleep too) but never need it after that. Definitely have a pack or two of seasickness tablets with you, as they are very expensive on board. If you did get bad the doctor can give you an injection which is supposed to stop it almost straight away (it will set you back about £60 I think though).
Most of the time there's very little movement, and you are very gently rocked to sleep (DH loves it!).

DebK2012 Sat 15-Dec-12 16:10:19

Do not go on Royal Carribean!!!!!!! 1 year ago I went on their canaries cruise and I had one fine day then for the next week I was in the bathroom!(Which I have to say are very nice!)

nannyl Tue 22-Feb-11 20:29:17

i have been cruising 4 times and spent 10 weeks aboard

i also get very travel sick

BUT the cruise ships have stabelisers, most of the time you feel no waves what so ever....

when very rough (and decks are closed) the water in the glass may ripple, its really nothing like a ferry.
I understand if you do an ocean crossing it can get a bit rougher though, but going to the arctic, the baltic and cruising around the carribean, you barely realise you arnt on flat land!

TyraG Sun 19-Dec-10 12:07:47

Love cruising. As for the seasickness they have wrist bands that you can get for them or they can also give you little stickies to put behind your ear that help with it as well.

justwaitaminute Mon 22-Nov-10 01:17:21

definately go for it, cruising is brilliant,

I would take travel sickness pills just for the first day or two until you get used to the motion of the ship and then you'll be fine, also make sure you get a cabin as low down in the ship as possible and midship is essential, that is where you will feel the least movement. its the top of the ship that will sway the most, especially the larger ships.

geordieminx Wed 10-Nov-10 20:02:34

I get travel sick, have to sit in front of car yadda yadda. We went on our first cruise in September, royal carribean.

Absolutley fantastic. Apart from a couple of hours going into Rome, when it was a bit choppy, you wouldn't even know you were on a boat.

Food was amazing, service, fantastic, so much to see and do.

Can't reccomend it enough.

ElbowFan Tue 09-Nov-10 16:09:45

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but there are things you should consider - How big is the vessel you will be cruising on? I can well believe that the huge ships which can carry 2,000+ passengers will not pitch or roll much, but smaller vessels will. It may also depend on where you are cruising - some waters are rougher than others!

MrsColumbo Sun 24-Oct-10 17:40:26

I hope you have a fantastic time - gorgeous rooms, excursions, wonderful food available 24/7, opportunities to wear your glad rags (sigh)

posey Sun 24-Oct-10 17:27:22

YAAAAAYYY grin

Thank you MrsColumbo, that was exactly the answer I was dreaming of!

MrsColumbo Sun 24-Oct-10 17:17:50

Never been on a cruise but my parents have, and my dad gets sea and carsick, but going on a cruise ship is apparently not a problem as you don't feel the ship moving, unlike a cross-Channel ferry, for example. Go - I would envy!

posey Sun 24-Oct-10 17:07:41

Am I mad to consider a cruise as I get seasick (any sort of travel sickness actually!)?
Dh's parents love cruises and next year is their Golden Wedding. The want to take us all on a cruise with them. I love the idea but need to be realistic. I don't want a week of misery, or to spoil their holiday.

Any help gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now