Haggling internet/tv deals

(10 Posts)
Rioja123 Sat 19-Nov-16 23:01:11

Has anyone had success reducing the price as an existing customer? Thinking about calling BT and threatening to leave to see if they offer a discount.

BackforGood Sat 19-Nov-16 23:10:15

I've just done it with Virgin. Not as good as I had hoped, but still less than I was paying before. I'm not a great haggler mind - I suspect they spotted that wink

tubasinthemoonlight Sat 19-Nov-16 23:20:35

I recently haggled a lower price with Virgin. I do it at least every 18 months and as a result am paying a similar amount to 5 years ago despite the many price increases in that time. But I have been with them or their predecessors for over 20 years do I believe I'm entitled to some loyalty discount.

Rioja123 Sat 19-Nov-16 23:25:12

It has to be worth a try right! We are saving hard for our wedding so been going through direct debits to see what we can save.

BackforGood Sat 19-Nov-16 23:31:13

Definitely. I go through everything every year - insurances, utilities, phones, etc.
Might also be worth looking at Quidco as sometimes you can earn good cashback for buying through them, although do look at other comparison sites first, as often you pay more for the same company going through Quidco, so do your research.

timeforachangeithink Sat 19-Nov-16 23:39:15

BT offered us a £1 a month discount to stay with them for another year. This was after a 40 percent price increase. Told them to shove it and took a deal with sky through quidco.

Rioja123 Sat 19-Nov-16 23:43:36

£1!!! What a joke

timeforachangeithink Sun 20-Nov-16 18:39:32

They are a bunch of robbing gits! Have always given us a decent deal before but this year they were having none of it. Obviously trying to recoup the money they have spent on champions league at the expense of loyal existing customers. Should be spreading the cost between new and old and giving the same deals.

specialsubject Mon 21-Nov-16 08:27:38

BT will always be.priciest, although they will reduce somewhat. You need to compare and chage yearly to keep being a new.customer.

delilahbucket Tue 22-Nov-16 18:28:11

Haggled wih bt in October. Bill went from £35 to £15 month (plus line rental) and they upgraded the TV and Internet. They weren't going to offer me much of a saving at first so I told them I would simply switch to EE instead then and reeled off what they were offering. They beat the EE price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now