Frugaleers chatting and saving into August...

(991 Posts)
ipsogenix Wed 03-Aug-16 21:40:02

Just setting up the new thread for the chatty Frugaleers.

Useful links copied from last year:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/other_subjects/1324074-For-those-who-cant-afford-to-use-central-heating-this-year-How-are-you-going-to-cope

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/1543785-your-top-tips-for-money-saving-and-a-more-frugal-life

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/1600030-Small-money-saving-habits-petty-even

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/1628874-Gas-Elec-Bills-monthly-and-SKY-so-angry

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/1911061-NO-MORE-COLD-MUMSNETTERS

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2209167-Slow-Cookers-are-shit

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2224969-saving-money

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/2258202-Debt-mutual-support-thread-number-6-start-the-new-year-with-a-clear-purpose-and-keep-moving-forwards-even-by-tiny-steps?

orchard.tesco.com/ Sign up to this.

www.topcashback.co.uk/home And this.

www.quidco.com/home/ And this

www.moneysavingexpert.com/ And this

www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub ditto.

www.checkoutsmart.com/ Plus this.

www.hotukdeals.com/all/deals/new?page=3 Check this daily.

CremeEggThief Wed 03-Aug-16 21:47:34

Thanks Ipsosmile. star

Sierra259 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:52:21

Thanks ipso smile

needastrongone Wed 03-Aug-16 22:01:49

smile Ta!

Taytocrisps Wed 03-Aug-16 22:01:57

Thanks ipso

8FencingWire Wed 03-Aug-16 22:13:31

Thank you ipso.
I have finally got internet and a bit of time, so I'm back on the wagon.
We have moved two weeks ago and it's been a spending fiesta, as you can imagine.
I've done my august budget and by god it's tight!!!!
I've done quite a bit of overtime already, DD's been at her dad's, so I didn't have to be home.
I've got plenty of food in the cupboards and freezer, so I'll try to do 20 nsd this month, I have 3 already and tomorrow will be the 4th one. Plus I work the weekend, so I shouldn't be spending any money.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Wed 03-Aug-16 22:36:57

Thanks Ipsos I am hoping to keep up with this thread!!

Collie yay thats great!

Need i forgot you were still in America! How much longer have you got out there? I love America, would love to take dd out there some day. We put a lot of effort into getting dds bedroom finished ystd, my dad put up shelves and we spent the evening putting out her copious amounts of nic nacs grin she currently collects shells, coins, moshi's, small owl ornaments, fossils and an assortment of random things of interest hmm grin It looks lovely now, quite country cottage like in a way.

Dd has her paediatric appointment tomorrow following her dramatic complications when she contracted flu last March time, will be interesting to see what they have to say. She doesn't seem to have any lasting complications though other than losing her voice if she talks too much!

Right off to bed for me, looking forward to not having to set my alarm for the morning!!

Cagliostro Wed 03-Aug-16 23:47:06

Hi Ipso thanks for the new thread smile

Should be staying in tomorrow, so NSD other than Tesco delivery. DH is off so need to get some tidying/decluttering done I think.

ItalianWiking84 Thu 04-Aug-16 00:07:27

Thanks ipso. I would defn recommend first complaining to both of the banks in writing and then I would defn take it further, I just googled it and found this link www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/where-do-i-go-if-i-have-a-bank-complaint
You have a really strong case.

And thank you all for the reassurance with regards to baby dd. Dd1 was 3035 gram when born and 47 cm (sorry we only gram and kg in Denmark so have no idea what the other measurements means in gram) I'm not worried about the size, I am expecting her to be on the small side like her sister but my doc is more concerned about whether she will grow enough and continually. Dd1 just had her 2 year check and she's perfectly fine, although smaller than average but her height and weight fits together, but she's never going to get really tall, but as long as she's happy and healthy who cares. She talks in 3 languages so I'm not concerned about her development.

ipsogenix Thu 04-Aug-16 04:10:42

I see what you mean Italian. The man who phoned me said he was registering the case as a complaint from me, so it sounds as though that's already been set in motion. My bank are very good always so I think it will be okay.

lilacclery Thu 04-Aug-16 06:01:54

Place marking
Thanks ipsos for setting up new thread

Colliefeatures Thu 04-Aug-16 06:53:03

Thanks for the thread Ipsos!

Here are my goals:

Reduce food shop to a sensible figure
Have a strict budget for relocating. All legal fees included.
Start my savings plan / budget for Xmas
Try and eat fruit / veg in season
Start using Nectar Points etc again - Aim £40 by December
Renew insurances via QuidCo

That's all I can think of blush

8 congrats on the new house!

Yesterday was a NSD and today will be another NSD too

WreckTangled Thu 04-Aug-16 07:02:41

Thanks ipso.

I'm knackered and grumpy. Didn't go to bed until late and the dc have been up and being really annoying since before six angry

Anyway we're going to a farm place today so that's £10.50 for the three of us. Will take a picnic.

lifelongfrugaleer Thu 04-Aug-16 07:02:56

Thanks ipso.

lifelongfrugaleer Thu 04-Aug-16 07:08:57

Collie, yeah. Exciting times. Careful when you visit Durham your might get the pull again grin
That's reassuring Italian if dd was little too.
Congratulations on the new house 8

I'm off work for another week. Got very panicking yesterday about going back so got another week.
Going to nt today or somewhere. After doing hedrin

dwinnol Thu 04-Aug-16 07:17:40

Good morning. Thanks for the new thread Ipso.
My spending goals for August are : Keep to the weekly budget I've set within my monthly pay.
To stick to one in one out on beauty products.
Weekly shop at aldi or Lidl to stop popping to local mini tesco every night after work
Get started on the Christmas extra earner stuff (as it comes around so quick from this month) and put the money away.

northender Thu 04-Aug-16 07:40:08

Thanks for the new thread ipsos
need scone dough pizza is just an ordinary pizza but with a thin scone base, the dc love it. I use a recipe from Delia's Cookery Course but with bigger quantities!!
Welcome dwinnol you'll get lots of advice & support here

ItalianWiking84 Thu 04-Aug-16 07:53:27

Should be lsd today, only need salt for the dish washer. Dh is painting dds room and dd and me are cracking on with cleaning

Colliefeatures Thu 04-Aug-16 08:08:08

I've just opened a new bank account as it'll allow me to manage my money better. Very excited about it blush

Whataboutwhathuh Thu 04-Aug-16 08:29:45

Morning all! Just marking my place. Aldi shop this evening and I'm going to aim for £30.

BertieTodd Thu 04-Aug-16 08:56:57

Thanks for the thread ipsos.
Lilac* - just remembered to reply to your post on past thread. Your big Tesco bill made me feel a little bit better about my SV one. I think supermarkets in the UK must definitely be cheaper based on figures quoted here. And we eat well and don't waste much which is important.

yummycake123 Thu 04-Aug-16 09:04:56

Place marking.
I'm new to this. I'm trying to budget and pay off my debts quickly. Have started using YNAB and I'm reviewing all our bills to see where we can make some savings.

Cagliostro Thu 04-Aug-16 10:17:53

I keep checking my Quidco to see if spends have tracked. I bought something in The Works on Tuesday which should track due to the 'high street' thing (my card is registered). Also, the Haven thing - only tracked 2% rather than the advertised 5%, what do I do? I've not had any issues before so it's new to me.

Whataboutwhathuh Thu 04-Aug-16 10:51:48

I was supposed to get one of mine today but it hasn't cleared into the payable bit and the update has disappeared. I want my money! Hopefully it'll update for both of us

Badders123 Thu 04-Aug-16 11:14:21

Morning
Doing lots of cleaning so not going out this morning to make up for very spendy day out yesterday!!
Hair appt later so that £20 but k colour it myself now which saves ££££

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now