please tell me what you get and how much it costs with Virgin tv etc......I need to reduce my package

(15 Posts)
ssd Thu 14-Apr-16 20:49:18

I tried phoning them up and reducing what I pay every month but I ended up spending more!

we have an xl package, think its called a big bundle

unlimited phone calls
highest speed broadband (150 speed which we need)
sky sports and movies
every bloody channel going except atlantic
tivo box
2 boxes in kids bedrooms

pay about £113 a month

really need to cut costs, want to get rid of landline and movies and sports, not sure what it'll cost now

oh and we pay netflix 8.99 a month for 3 screens

can anyone help me cut costs? we are in Scotland

ssd Thu 14-Apr-16 22:27:33

bump

annielostit Fri 15-Apr-16 07:23:44

Who's this package with?? Virgin or sky.
The sport & movies can be removed - bolt ons cost more. Boxes in the kids rooms cost more do they use them, or just tell them they're going.
Are you in a contract?
Check what you need & compare, tell the company you want cheaper
www.broadbandchoices.co.uk

ptumbi Fri 15-Apr-16 07:31:46

I used to have that Virgin xl package (Tivo etc) and I phoned to reduce down to the L, to save money. This would have saved me £3.50 a month angry. In the end I told them that as we didn't watch half the channels, I'd be chucking the lot and just watching Freeview (and get my broadband and phone elsewhere)
Amazingly, they found a Medium package, reduced daytime phonecalls, updated broadband speed that cost £20 a month less. I think it's nearer £80 per month, than £100 previously.

I don't get films now, (unless I pay) Sports, lots of other crap I haven't even noticed.

Don't get rid of the landline; you need it for broadband (I know! more expense for something most people don't even use much)

Kbear Fri 15-Apr-16 07:34:25

I ring regularly and say can't afford it and they let me have it half price for 9 months.... I am six months into the latest deal. Told my friends, three of them got the same deal.

noeuf Fri 15-Apr-16 07:37:45

Oh I am soooo fed up with these packages. We have M tv and 100mbps broadband and landline with Virgin and it was 38.99 but now seems to be 45 a month. Every bloody time I switch we end up with it creeping up.
I never use a landline, hate having to pay rental for it. No idea what the solution is.

We have now tv and Netflix but need a high broadband due to gaming and streaming.

Pollyputhtekettleon Fri 15-Apr-16 07:39:13

I pay £5/month. I got a deal with talk talk and its only lone and broadband. We also have amazon prime. You don't need Netflix if you have all those other channels! We really don't miss sky TV, just watch the normal channels which are free (other that yearly licence).

Pollyputhtekettleon Fri 15-Apr-16 07:41:26

Oh and last year I paid £0/month with sky for line and broadband. So it's cost me £60 for 2 yrs. I'll be looking for another deal in Sept when this one is up.

Iamnotanugget Fri 15-Apr-16 10:10:37

Use a comparison site and a cashback site. Last year I was with EE for unlimited broadband and line rental, cost £32 for THE YEAR. This year I'm with Sky, same deal cost £0 for the year, just need to remember to switch as soon as contract is up. We use Giffgaff for mobiles and find £7.50 per month each is more than enough. We have a Now TV box that cost £15 (on offer, usually £25) one off payment. We buy vouchers for channels from eBay, approx £4 a month. Combined with free view we have plenty of TV. Try it for 3 months and if it really doesn't suit you then get a new package from somewhere.

specialsubject Fri 15-Apr-16 20:06:45

without a landline how do you get your superfast broadband?

great idea but someone has to pay for the wires...

ScarletPower Fri 15-Apr-16 21:14:05

Virgin just pluck figures out of thin air.

I pay about £91 a month
- broadband
- XL TV
- house phone (inc free calls to abroad)
- Tivo box
- V+ box
- ordinary set top box
- Sky Sports

I am on Mates Rates as someone I knew used to work there and I get 30% off my bills, so I can never leave them as no one else can better their prices.

Mumstudentbum Fri 27-May-16 12:55:06

we used to have the big bundle (or whatever its called) everything you could name we had. I got so fed up of switching channels with nothing on and was just about to call up to reduce package and box broke. Had to wait a few days for the engineer and in the mean time borrowed free view box from dad.

In the end i found we were watching the channels on free view that we normally watched on the big bundle. I was wasting 100s a month on tv we didn't even watch! The kids were even more than happy to watch citv and cbeebies rather than disney or nick.

Then our tv aerial blew down, no more free view. We bought an amazon tv box and watch basic channels now

I cut my bill from 100s to zero. I seriously encourage anyone to monitor the main channels you watch and think if you could live without the 'extras' then either cut right back or get rid.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 27-May-16 15:46:04

If it's not a joint account then cancel it and set up a new account in a different name. Use a cashback site to increase savings. I bet there's a £100 cashback at least on the big package.

cazinge Fri 27-May-16 21:54:19

I know they get a bad reputation but we have Talktalk. Pay line rental up front about £150 for the year. Then we pay £10pm for broadband (not fibre / superfast), phone with anytime landline calls and Youview box which includes Sky1, 2 & Living. Can add things eg Sky or BT sports, Sky Movies, etc. 1 month at a time (not minimum contract) or order movies as a one off for £3-5 each via the box office.

Claraoswald36 Tue 31-May-16 23:27:08

I pay about £28 a month for landline bb and TiVo. I argued it down to that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now