Can anyone recommend Aldi or Lidl ready meals?

(16 Posts)
ifonly4 Mon 25-Jan-16 10:22:13

As the title asks, can anyone recommend Aldi or Lidl ready meals? If so, any ones in particular.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Mon 25-Jan-16 11:05:36

Never tried them why do you plan to buy them? I know some people who use Iceland onesz for elderly relatives who need easy meals.

Otherwise batch cooking and freezing is much better ready meals aren't very healthy

DameDancealot Mon 25-Jan-16 12:01:27

Yes their lasagne is very good and a lot of the deluxe range is good, their frozen paella is good as well

MrsJayy Mon 25-Jan-16 12:05:06

The lasange in Aldi isreally tasty and the flans/tarts are nice the cauliflower cheese is nice thars all i have bought but wasnt dissapointed dd1 loves the pakora

ifonly4 Tue 26-Jan-16 12:03:14

Thanks for your replies. I'm working one night a week where everyone is coming and going and often don't know who'll be around and when until later, so plan to get a few ready meals in for ease for everyone if it turns out they'll all be eating at different times. If they don't get eaten, can be frozen and still there as a back up.

East - I know I could bulk freeze, but suppose I'm just being lazy. Having said that we never have a takeaway, so a ready meal with salad/peas/whatever once a week won't hurt.

IamMummyhearmeROAR Wed 27-Jan-16 06:59:22

Lidl Indian micro curries are good according to my dh.

RabbitSaysWoof Mon 01-Feb-16 19:56:51

I like the Aldi korma and the quiche is lovely.

Blu Mon 01-Feb-16 19:58:37

We've just finished the Lidl Italian week special Macaroni Cheese with ham: really good.

Blu Mon 01-Feb-16 20:02:03

On the whole I think the 'Specials' are better than the regular stock. The Spanish Week frozen paella is much better than the regular, the Greek Gyros and Rice mix.

I bought some of the DeLuxe Lidl pies: horribly salty, and the cooked in the bag Pulled Pork and Lamb Shanks: totally tasteless.

Eminybob Mon 01-Feb-16 20:05:44

I love the aldi specially selected king prawn tikka masala. It's my guilty pleasure if I'm on my own for tea.
Not tried any others.

Tigerblue Tue 02-Feb-16 10:27:57

If you shop anywhere else, don't forget to look in the reduced section for ready meals - in Tescos you can get some for £1.20 and freeze them straight away - that way they're there as a back up.

lavazzzalover Fri 04-Mar-16 20:02:50

oh Aldi's cottage pie 1kg is divine! £2.69 and is lush!

gingerdad Sat 05-Mar-16 12:18:21

Never had their or any other ready meal. But their ostrich streaks are fantastic.

mogloveseggs Sat 05-Mar-16 12:22:51

Lasagne is fab and the currys too.

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 07-Mar-16 21:28:35

Lidl's pesto-stuffed gnocchi is lovely (boil till they float, drain, then fry in nutbrown hot butter) and the frozen paella ain't half bad

Aldi do a kilo of carbonara pasta bake which is pretty much delicious cheesy stodge :D - the sausage rolls are also good in there at a pinch, but the pizzas get my son's seal of approval (though I must admit the salami and rocket pizza although £2 is bloody good)

BarbaraofSeville Mon 07-Mar-16 22:35:50

Lidl 3 fish roast is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now