budgeting and making money help!

(5 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Wed 15-Jul-15 10:29:56

I really need help budgeting and sticking with it. for 5 years I had a reduced salary of what I was used to and I managed well on this, occasional overdraft but always stuck within a limit and didn't overspend.

6 weeks ago I got a new permanent job with a 7K increase. Great you may think... great but as a result I've 'treated myself'. I still keep track of my spending but am dangerously close to my OD limit.

I do have savings but these are 30 day access ones that I don't want to touch unless absolutely necessary and another one that I don't like touching unless I have to. I also have a loan but this will be paid off by October.

I ensure I have enough for mortgage/bills but otherwise am stupid with overspending.

Any ideas to make extra money for short term? I joined TaskRabbit but haven't properly signed with them. Am on Fidababysitter.com but this site is quite hard work.

Also another question I know someone who's French but fluent in French/Spanish and English - she lives in a 1 bedroom rented flat but expensive. she wants to Ebay but I don't think she's doing it properly. I did say she could do language tuition or even let out her sofa (sofa surfing).

thanks!

TalkinPeace Wed 15-Jul-15 12:07:26

use 80% of your savings to clear debt
as you are earning less than 1% and paying over 20%

SuperFlyHigh Wed 15-Jul-15 12:28:03

i think I will do that... albeit it with a heavy heart.

what can my friend do though? no savings at all.

TalkinPeace Wed 15-Jul-15 14:31:51

airbnb?
she'd be best to rent the bedroom out and sleep on the couch - she'll make more that way

French / Spanish are very common languages - little premium there

the bottom fell out of ebay about 4 years ago unless you already have over 500 feedback

SuperFlyHigh Wed 15-Jul-15 14:41:35

is it worth her doing babysitting though? card in window sort of job?

yes Ebay did have the bottom fall out of it 4 years ago I used to do well then.

I'm not sure if she'd rent her bedroom out but can ask her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now