Getting shit organised!

(10 Posts)
intothenevernever Fri 12-Jun-15 05:26:30

Hi ladies

We have been living beyond our means and I am determined to do something about it. Spent the whole day going through every bloody cupboard etc and stocktaking. Horrifying how much being disorganised has cost us! So many items I have replaced because I have no idea if we have one already or where it might be. We have four tubs of Vicks bloody vaporub in four different places! blush

I have also started a spending spreadsheet.

Anyone else in a similar boat? We could offer moral support to each other?

WhatTheHellArePoshChips Fri 12-Jun-15 09:55:43

hiii!!!!!
i'd like to add pay by cash and dont take your debit or credit card, makes you so aware of what youre putting in your trolley

mumtoblaire Fri 12-Jun-15 10:14:07

Check bank statements thoroughly in case your paying for something you don't need/use any more.

starfish4 Fri 12-Jun-15 10:18:45

It's scary how much stuff you have lurking. Money has been very tight recently and I felt I couldn't justify buying any face creams, cleansers. On going through my things I had four products I'd forgotten about and they're now in use.

You've made a great start going through things. Have you been through your food cupboards yet - you'll probably find a few things you thought were good at the time and not used them - use them this month to save buying something else.

Clothes wise we all like something new, but if anyone wants anything go through theirs and work out if they really do need it!

annielostit Fri 12-Jun-15 11:53:46

Look at your bank statements and see what add hock spending there is. £7 here and there adds up.
Look at your shopping habits, a loaf of bread & milk ends up costing £20. Make a list of what you need by basic food planning. If you've a family get them on board. My dsteen scoffs the cupboards and think the fairies fill it.

intothenevernever Fri 12-Jun-15 21:06:56

Thanks so much for the replies and tips!!

I have GOT to stop buying basics from the corner store - they are twice the price! Currently price hunting for supermarket bargains and finding it oddly satisfying!!

Passthecake30 Sat 13-Jun-15 07:55:57

Come join us in the frugal thread!

I have stocks of stuff, I like to have the "one open, one in the cupboard" principle. The one -or five- in the cupboard is generally replaced when on offer, if you wait long enough everything goes on offer in cycles

Sleepyhoglet Fri 03-Jul-15 08:48:08

Yes. Way too much crap in the house. Most of it could live without but don't know how to get rid. Seems silly not to try and make some money from it. Maybe I should get some stuff together and aim to make £20 per month. Having a baby doesn't make it any easier either. I can bfeed her and she doesn't have many toys bought by us but clothing etc is a hassle.

Grumpyoldblonde Fri 03-Jul-15 09:59:46

A facebook selling group may be a good place to sell outgrown baby clothes by the bundle.

Eva50 Fri 03-Jul-15 10:56:55

I am meal planning weekly with everything I have in the freezer/cupboards. I then buy only what I need to make a meal.

I have dug out bits and pieces we no longer use and put them on gumtree. I found an old Mr potato head water sprinkler which used to belong to my older boys and set it up in the garden for ds3. (Cheap entertainment).

I have used the school uniform/children's clothes threads to send some of ds3's outgrown clothes on to other Mumsneters and have been offered some in return, for which I am really grateful.

Thinking up ways to make and save money is actually beginning to make me feel much more cheerful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now