Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

E-on Energy Bills

(8 Posts)
tb199 Wed 23-Jul-14 10:14:22

Hi Everyone,

We just moved into a new build house. 3 Bed. E-On have estimated we will spend £1200 a year on just electricity as the house has no gas. Thats £108 a month!! They say they re evaluate after 3 months. Do you normally just send them a meter reading after 3 months?

annielostit Wed 23-Jul-14 12:16:50

They generally do but make sure its not the estimated one.

tb199 Wed 23-Jul-14 13:00:43

What do you mean?

tb199 Wed 23-Jul-14 13:01:27

Its a new house which no one has lived in before. They said they estimate we will use £1200 a year (There are 2 of us!) So does this mean they have used the estimate one?

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 23-Jul-14 13:36:21

They can't stop you paying by quarterly DD you know. They can't stop you changing suppliers either, it's slightly harder on E7 and E10 tarriffs but not impossible.

If you are sensible with the heating and water heating there's no reason it should be that high.

If its newbuild are there any solar panels or ground heat pumps?.

We had electric only in one house, to keep the bills down I;

Only heated the water to 55c for twenty minutes a day, less often in the summer. A new tank should hold the temperature for 24hrs.

I lagged all the pipes around the tank that got hot with thick foam. Your builders only obliged to lag the first metre.

I only heated the rooms we used, so lounge, bedroom and kitchen. There was no heating in the bathroom.

I'm assuming you are fully insulated because its new but simple things like brush draught excluders on the door and thermal curtain liners have kept us much warmer since we had that house.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 23-Jul-14 13:41:33

You could send them monthly meter readings, it doesnt have to be 3 monthly - you could probably set it up so you can submit them online.

Once they get a feel for how much you will use they will change the payment amount to an amount to cover what you are using - may be more or less than £108

annielostit Wed 23-Jul-14 17:05:00

Tb199, we have a bill every quarter, sometimes its not

specialsubject Thu 24-Jul-14 11:01:14

a total fuel bill of about £1200 is not unreasonable, doesn't mean you can't work on it.

do a comparison on prices per unit and standing charges against what Eon will charge. See if you can get cheaper.

send in monthly readings

work on reducing use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now