Should I switch to metered water?

(11 Posts)
fatpony Tue 15-Jul-14 15:16:43

Hi,
We are two adults in a flat and our water bill is £41 a month which seems a bit high. It is not metered. Between us we have about ten showers a week (short ones as usually in a hurry) and two baths. We wash up once a day. We don't have a garden or a car so not using water to water the plants or wash the car.
Is it worth switching to a meter does anyone think? Who foots the cost of installing a meter?
Many thanks!

annielostit Tue 15-Jul-14 17:29:44

Personally I would stay as you are. We are 2 plus teenager 16. Our welsh water bill is £37 a month but I watch what we use. We have about the same showers as you, ds not here at weekend and me & oh shower at gym about 4 days.

MrsSquirrel Tue 15-Jul-14 17:42:39

The rule of thumb is that if you have more bedrooms than people, it's probably worthwhile getting a meter.

The Consumer Council for Water have a water meter calculator on their web site. I'm on my phone, so can't do links, but you should be able to Google it.

Who pays the cost of installing the meter depends on where you are.

addictedtosugar Tue 15-Jul-14 18:04:50

I think it really depends on where you live. If you read water cost threads, it varies MASSIVELY over the country.
Your best bet is to google the people who you pay, and have a look at the website - ours says meters are free, and lets you put in showers / baths / dishwashers etc to give an aprox cost.

Agree with MrsSquirrel's rule of thumb.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 15-Jul-14 19:11:54

In some areas you can have a meter and revert to water rates if you don't find it saves you money.

It's worth ringing them.

colliewobbles83 Wed 16-Jul-14 08:57:11

Well

colliewobbles83 Wed 16-Jul-14 08:58:51

That is the second time that has happened this week! Stupid auto refresh thing.

My rates were £60 a month for a 2 bed and our metered bill is £26 a month for the same property. 2 adults and 1 baby. All depends on where you live.

Rubberstamp Wed 16-Jul-14 09:01:18

It depends where you live from what I can tell. We're a family of 4, sometimes 6 and were paying £45pcm without a meter, switched to a meter and it's £19pcm. We're Thames Water which appears to be one of the cheapest.
That said, the bills we have say we use the water expected of a couple. Not sure how as we all have baths, washing machine, dishwasher, water the garden, fill paddling pools etc.

FoxSticks Wed 16-Jul-14 09:04:39

We have just switched to a meter, if at the end of the first year we arent saving money we can go back to rates again. We are with SE water.

goats Wed 16-Jul-14 09:20:44

Ours is ridiculous.
If your North West and United utilities don't bother. They keep over estimating our bill and despite telling them when we moved in they didn't read Meter till three months later and tried to make us pay for previous tenant who had never paid the bill. Took us 6 months to sort and prove based on our average usage we couldn't possibly have used that much.

Even now they have estimated our charges for the next year as 650 pound despite the fact I only used 256 pounds bill last year. They are currently charging us £53 a month for a one bed flat and we aren't even home Fri to Sun each week :/

specialsubject Wed 16-Jul-14 10:43:06

All in the location.

I was in Thames Water's area and it was much much cheaper to have a meter. Now in Severn Trent and it is cheaper not to have one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now