Top tips for white wine in ALdi and Lidl please?

(17 Posts)
incognitoforonenight Mon 14-Jul-14 16:29:43

Have bought a couple of white wines from Aldi before and they were rank. I know the ToroLoco red is fab. But I keep hearing about how bargainous the booze from these shops is, so am hoping to get some tips about which bottles to buy and which to leave on the shelf! Many thanks in advance.

mamalovesmojitos Mon 14-Jul-14 18:25:35

Yes please, id also love to know. Im a toro loco fan but only the red, didn't enjoy the rose. When it comes to white I usually have to buy more expensive wine elsewhere.

Iamblossom Mon 14-Jul-14 18:28:18

Lidl prossecco is divine.

AnnaBegins Mon 14-Jul-14 18:29:06

My fave is the Exquisite Sauvignon blanc Viognier, dark blue screw top, it is fab.

AnnaBegins Mon 14-Jul-14 18:29:31

Oh sorry that's Aldi, forgot to say!

The Aldi Pinot Grigio is very nice.

Aldi Freeman's bay is a bit too nice grinwine

SilentBob Mon 14-Jul-14 18:50:34

I tried Freeman's Bay New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc from Aldi and it was disgusting. Tasted like fish. Urgh. Still drank it though grin

Lidl's Cimarosa NZ sv, on the other hand, is v good (IMO)

justjuanmorebeer Mon 14-Jul-14 19:06:23

Lidl Gavi. Really good.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Jul-14 22:54:26

Tbh I've not been impressed with their white wines. I like toro loco rose well chilled though. Dh likes the Bulgarian red.

The aldi gin is lovely though.

mamalovesmojitos Tue 15-Jul-14 21:20:22

Think I've tried the gavi & it was nice . Will look out for the aldi sv - thanks Anna

lostmymarblesbutfoundthewine Tue 15-Jul-14 21:21:48

aldis Gavi. had to sample a few bottles

foreverforaging Tue 15-Jul-14 22:16:51

Can't advise but there is this on LIDL's website.

1stMrsF Tue 29-Jul-14 12:01:30

I like the Cambalala Sauvignon but NOT the Andara
Also worth a try is the French Chardonnay although it's not a patch on the Macon Village they used to have.

(see how I have selflessly taste tested for you all)

1stMrsF Tue 29-Jul-14 12:03:30

Oh, and I haven't tried this one, but a man in the checkout queue at Lidl told me he was very disappointed it was out of stock, because it's great. (I do find people very chatty at Lidl compared to any other supermarket).

Marlborough Sauvignon

574ejones Tue 29-Jul-14 20:22:20

I like the Chilean sauvignon blanc from Aldi, but have bought various white wines from both (averaging at £4) and haven't had a bad one yet.

We like the Pedro Jimenez at Lidl, £4 or thereabouts. It's a fresh dry white. If you like sauvingnon blanc it's similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now