how much do you spend on clothes each month?

(35 Posts)
nearlyfinisheduni Tue 24-Jun-14 09:09:24

I'm trying to budget and am in desperate need of new clothes however I know paying off debt is more important so thought if I had a small budget for a treat each month it might make it more bearable!

Oly4 Sat 28-Jun-14 11:39:51

New things to wear.... Not we!

BackforGood Sat 28-Jun-14 11:44:05

Nothing, on a 'monthly' basis.
I'm another charity shop bargain hunter, so actually tend to pick something up when I happen to see it rather than waiting until I 'need' something. I also wear what suits me / I feel comfortable in and have no issues with wearing something that might not be from this year's "fashion" so don't feel the need to replace perfectly wearable things.

Last time I bought something was about 3 months ago, when I picked up 2 blouses / tops which were £2.95 each.... so, on recent history, about £2 a month.

Artandco Sat 28-Jun-14 11:56:36

About £200 a month...

That's on all of us though. In the last month we brought:

Dh - x2 shirts - £65
Me - pair sandals - £45
Ds1 and 2 - new pants -£48
Me -tights -£20

We only really buy what we need though. But will buy quality over quantity. Ie my last sandals were 7 years old so needed replacing. Kids pants above were about £12 for 2 pairs of trunk style pants in organic cotton, and just replaced as they grew not because any problem with old stuff

I have a winter coat I spent £250 in 2000. Was expensive then but still looks like new now 14 years later and I can't see it ever needing replacing in the near future.

OorWullie Sat 28-Jun-14 12:00:41

This month, I've spent about £100 on clothes for DS and I but we both really needed some proper summer clothes when it got hot, and I had some birthday money to spend.

Normally It's less than £15, sometimes nothing. DS usually needs at least one pair of trousers a month as he wears the knees out.

Purpleroxy Sat 28-Jun-14 12:06:17

It depends how much you like clothes really. I don't spend on clothes unless I need something I don't have or something that's worn out but I hate clothes! If you like clothes, you need to work out what you spent over the last few months on them as a guide for yourself. You can easily spend thousands on clothes.

silkknickers Sun 29-Jun-14 07:37:58

artandco You're not planning to wear your newly purchased sandals and tights at the same time, are you???? smile

LightastheBreeze Sun 29-Jun-14 07:45:38

Probably about £500 a year, I tend to buy in sales so spend more money at once than spread over a year.

It is very rarely stuff I need though, more stuff that I want grin

NorksAreMesssy Sun 29-Jun-14 07:47:35

Another charity shop / ebayer here.

I buy on eBay to the value of the money in my PayPal account...so if I have been good and sold stuff, then I can buy lots.
Charity shopping doesn't count as shopping in my head...it counts as giving money to charity.

So, not much real actual spending on clothes at all smile

proseccoco Mon 30-Jun-14 23:03:17

I have a £50 per month budget, but have gone over it and am on a spending ban until September grin job interview meant getting a couple of things, as did having v few clothes to start with - 2 pregnancies and dc in quick succession!
Love charity shops, eBay quality seems to be dire, and I always buy w a code/in the sale.
I will need some jumpers this winter, and would like a trench coat and a le pliage bag, but right now I have everything I need.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 30-Jun-14 23:19:27

I am currently paying just under £300 a month in loan repayments and credit card payments, and will be for about another two years. Some of it went on furniture but most of it is clothes. For me and for the dc's. I'm about five grand in debt. Dh would kill me if he knew. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now