Cheaper infant paracetamol

(9 Posts)
gutted2014 Sun 04-May-14 10:54:53

I always buy Tesco own brand infant paracetamol for my DSes (5 & 3), which costs £1.60 for 100ml. However, they didn't have any on the shelf when I went in the other day, so I asked at the pharmacy counter & they gave me a 200ml bottle for the same price - same dosage etc. Thought this might help other people smile

NotCitrus Sun 04-May-14 11:10:34

Depending on area, some pharmacies give free paracetamol if you fill in name and address - I only found this out when one assistant asked why I didn't want the free stuff. She assured me anyone was entitled to it for a child, no need to be on benefits. Since then they always supply it if asked but sometimes say they aren't allowed to offer.

No idea exactly what they are supposed to do but might be worth asking.

Supermum222 Sun 04-May-14 19:02:29

I didn't't realise that you could get it free without prescription. I have spent a fortune on Calpol over the years.

theuncivilservant79 Sun 11-May-14 17:28:39

If I have a doc app for the dc I ask for it on orescription. What you get isa huge bottle on unbranded infant suspension. Otherwise I buy store brand it's much cheaper!!!

MrsDeanAmbrose Sun 11-May-14 19:39:41

You can get it free on the minor ailments scheme if your local chemist does that

chocolatespiders Fri 16-May-14 22:32:53

Never heard of that scheme - it could help loads of families.. Wonder if you can search for nearby ones

MrsDeanAmbrose Sat 17-May-14 15:29:42

My health visitor told me about it. I'm not sure if you can search for nearby ones - I only know my local chemist does it because they have a sign in the window.

There's some info about it at the bottom of this page www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pharmacy/Pages/Commonconditions.aspx

Marmaladecat1 Fri 20-Jun-14 13:09:41

What does the sign say? So can I go to a participating pharmacy and what do I ask over the counter for?
Sorry silly question!

MrsDeanAmbrose Fri 20-Jun-14 15:08:39

just says "for minor aliments scheme patient must be present". You go in, describe symptoms and ask if they can suggest anything. If appropriate, they prescribe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now