How was everyone's gas and electricity bills this winter?

(21 Posts)
2cats2many Sun 30-Mar-14 09:39:33

We pay quarterly and just received ours for January to March (always the scary one). It was £300 for the gas and £157 for leccy. It was a combined total of £600+ this time last year so I feel like we got off lightly, especially with the prices rises. Ours is a 3-bed mid terrace. What was your bill like?

emma16 Sun 30-Mar-14 14:23:15

We live in a 3 bed Mid terrace & i entered our meter readings a few weeks back & we were £30 in credit, we pay £94 a month for gas & electric.
Last time i entered them was the end of November & we were around £300 in credit?
I'm pretty sure we could have been better than that too. My hubby love's the heating up more than me & when he's on night shifts he get's cold when asleep so it's always turned up a few degrees when it could be down!
I've just tried to log on actually to see how things were but the site's down for maintenance at the minute.

Charlesroi Sun 30-Mar-14 14:31:28

We didn't do too badly considering we're on prepayment meters, but we are on the best rates.
Two bed flat, well insulated, low energy light bulbs and we don't have a telly. Mostly use a halogen heater for a toasty living area (we don't like it too warm though). Electric cooker. Rarely use the tumble drier.
It came out at about £12-13 a week electric, £8 a week gas (minimal CH use and hot water), so about £85 per month.
We recently bought a halogen cooker and reckon we're saving about a quid a week now.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 30-Mar-14 19:36:42

£150 for the quarter & I got a £50 rebate & they lowered my dd to £59 which will fall in the summer when I'm using the gas for the water but no heating.

2cats2many Sun 30-Mar-14 19:44:58

Wow! I was feeling quite pleased with my £450 until I read your guy's figures. How do keep your bills so low?

Our heating is pretty much off now, but in winter is set to come on 6.30-8am and then 4-9ish in the evening. We don't own a tumble drier. Low energy light bulbs everywhere. New efficient boiler, etc.

Whats your secret?

Namefornames Sun 30-Mar-14 19:52:38

November-February the totals were £100 for Electricity and £120 for Gas, so £33 and £40 per month respectively. 3 bedroom mid terrace. We only have the heating on for a couple of hours early in the morning and then about 4 hours late afternoon/early evening. We turned it off entirely at the start of March.

Namefornames Sun 30-Mar-14 19:53:13

In fact 2cats our timings are the same as yours. We're with SSE.

Artandco Sun 30-Mar-14 19:54:14

£40 for gas and electric per quarter. Small flat, but heating on 24/7

Artandco Sun 30-Mar-14 19:54:55

We are with sse also

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Sun 30-Mar-14 19:56:14

Mid terrace 3 bedroom and Ive been paying £90 for gas and electricity and am in credit by £347.00 so far and I only have the heating on for one hour in the morning and 2/3 hours at night.

lubeybooby Sun 30-Mar-14 19:58:32

Only £250, 2 bed drafty victorian mid terrace. 2010 was double that as it was so cold.

It's been a really mild winter temp wise, have hardly needed it.

stargirl1701 Sun 30-Mar-14 19:59:07

£100 per month for gas (LPG) and £70 per month for electricity. 3 bed detached in Scotland - not a cold winter this year.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 30-Mar-14 20:11:41

I have a new build house with cavity wall insulation & 270mm of loft insulation.

We are out all day so the heating is on 06.45 to 7.30 17.00-21.00.
Water on 20 mins set to 60c once a day.
I wear thermal leggings & long sleeved tops under my normal clothes.
Nothing is stored in the loft so the insulation works properly.
Showers are turned off while I'm soaped up or washing hair etc.
I have a spin dryer but no tumble dryer.
I cook meat in the slow cooker not the main oven.
All doors are shut & have draught excluders on them (window vents open all night though).
Washing machine & dishwasher are on the Eco cycles & I only wash at 30c most of the time.
Most of my lighting is led bulbs, even the fridge light is led.
I cook on an induction hob which has a timer for each zone.
I cook baked beans or veg in Pyrex jugs if I'm doing a dinner.

Charlesroi Sun 30-Mar-14 20:42:35

I think with us the meters make us very careful to switch things off when we're not using them just because you can see the figure you've spent!. We do without the heating if possible but if its a very cold morning it goes on for an hour,, sometimes in the evening too The boiler is quite old so that doesn't help. I don't spend much on hoovering grin
We are careful but could probably do better. In the warmer months we get by just fine on about £40 per month,

PigletJohn Sun 30-Mar-14 20:52:52

considerably lower usage this year than last because we did not have such a long cold winter.

Dec gas usage was 4% lower, Jan 15%, Feb was 10%, March is less than half last March's usage. It's easier to monitor if you take meter readings monthly and input them online to avoid estimates.

The energy usage of non-heating appliances is relatively trivial and does not vary much.

Flossiechops Sun 30-Mar-14 20:58:17

I knew mine was bad but just checked my last 3 months bills are.......wait for it.......... £1050 combined. After 5 years of battling with these bills and always being freezing we have sold up. Should move within the next 6 weeks thank god.

emma16 Sun 30-Mar-14 23:48:39

My word £1050!!! At that you could have justified yourselves a new boiler. No point now if your moving but make sure your new place is insulated within an inch of it's life, well it does still need air otherwise damp will occurr but insulation in all the right places. And obvs make sure your on the best deal, you must have been on a terrible deal at that price as we've had one of the mildest winters going.

emma16 Sun 30-Mar-14 23:51:45

We're with Scottish Power, they've always come out the cheapest when hubbys used price comparion & sits with his usages & calculator :/
Our loft is well insulated, windows all re-sealed, door draught cushions, door curtain on the door into the porch etc. We dont use a timer for heating as i dont see the point if its not cold enough to need it, so heating is set to come on when it drops to 19 or 19.5 depending on how generous im feeling ;) In december & january we had it set at 20.5 though

Flossiechops Mon 31-Mar-14 07:10:23

My first question when viewing was 'what are your energy bills like?' The house we've bought has a brand new boiler, tons of loft insulation and full double glazing. One of our first priorities will be cavity wall insulatin too. Hopefully then we can stop living under blankets all winter!

stiffstink Tue 01-Apr-14 21:10:41

I'm gobsmacked at our bill! Paying £63 per month and we owe £40 at the end of winter. So £73 a month I guess?

And I fixed at a higher tariff too!

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 02-Apr-14 08:25:24

9 kWh/day electricity (10% down on last year), 39 kWh/day gas (>50% reduction on last year). However, we did get through a load of wood in the stove, and it has been so mild this year, so it really wasn't down to us being frugal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now