Meal planning on a budget

(12 Posts)
kazzawazzawoo Mon 24-Mar-14 07:32:56

Can someone help me meal plan on a budget?

I shop at Aldi, which is saving me money, but then I do top up shops at Sainsburys in my lunchbreak and spend far too much on bits and pieces.

It's a bit tricky as we eat low carb, as dh needs to lose lots of weight and low carb works best for him. I avoid gluten and dairy where possible, so filling up with pasta, bread not an option.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Mar-14 08:13:53

Lentils and beans are low carb, you could make a spicy mixed bean soup easily.

Lots of veg & berries are low carb too.

kazzawazzawoo Mon 24-Mar-14 08:34:41

Veg are great, we eat lots, but find choice of frozen limited and fresh quite expensive.

I can't eat beans and lentils due to my IBS hmm

annielostit Mon 24-Mar-14 09:44:12

Have you written a meal plan for main meal?
Write a list when you need a top up and stick to it. Its easy to go mad in the big supermarkets. I had the same problem but now get cash out on Sunday, plan for the full week and when we need to buy. If I get a full shop I miss things so do 2-3 through the week, then a pint of milk and a loaf doesn't cost £17.

kazzawazzawoo Mon 24-Mar-14 13:44:54

It's the top up shops that are my downfall. I always see something I might need. I could probably have done without it though. It's as if I lose all sense when I step into the shop! It would be easier if I could get everything in one shop on one day and not need to step inside another shop for a week.

I struggling with knowing what to cook when. I do have a list of stuff we like to eat, but get bored of the same meals very quickly.

FantaSea Mon 24-Mar-14 14:56:21

The trouble with top-up shopping is that you run in to get a pint of milk and end up spending £20 on bits. The only way I have managed to cure myself of this habit is not to go into the shop in the first place - could you leave your purse at home? I started freezing bread and milk to stop me going in for those top-ups.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Mon 24-Mar-14 15:00:30

Do you have any veg box scenes near you and if so how do they compare price wise? We get a veg box plus our eggs delivered and it's always cheaper than the supermarkets plus it keeps a lot longer as is field fresh.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Mon 24-Mar-14 15:04:30

I'm with FantsSea, avoid the shops.

kazzawazzawoo Mon 24-Mar-14 15:35:32

Thanks, I'll look into that smile

Mum2Fergus Mon 24-Mar-14 17:08:28

Kazza,stop taking cash/cards to work with you...'top-up' shopping is rarely just that. If you do it to kill time at lunchtime can you reduce break and get away early or start later? Or take a book or something with you...just stay out the shops! Can you do a meal plan with meals/foods you can eat and then see what ingredients you can bulk buy (Costco and the likes)? Have a look at Approved Foods website too. Can you buy your veg fresh then blanche and freeze?

kazzawazzawoo Mon 24-Mar-14 18:44:41

Thanks smile

Yes, definitely need to leave my cards at home. I think I need to stop worrying about how much I'm spending on my main shop, as that makes me put back stuff we MIGHT not need, but then later in the week we do need it and I end up doing an expensive top up shop!

kazzawazzawoo Mon 24-Mar-14 19:22:18

Having looked at local veg box schemes online, they seem to start at £8.50 and I think Aldi are much cheaper than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now