money too tight for sunday roast,what do you have? sometimes we have toad in the hole

(60 Posts)

or giant sausage roll, bit like a beef wellington , with sausage meat.

trappedinsuburbia Sat 09-Aug-14 23:22:40

Bells mince round can usually find for a quid, is on ds's fav dinner list.
I buy a roast beef joint for about 12 in asda, cut in half and freeze one. Roast beef on sunday, fry with onions and mushrooms next day for fajitas with salad and wraps and if more left overs then fry with mushrooms/onions again and serve with chips/broccoli.
I always fry in soy sauce for good flavour and if your plentiful with the other stuff then half the joint can last 3 nights (although im getting a bit fed up of it by then).

annabanana19 Fri 08-Aug-14 09:29:34

We had a cheap roast last night using Iceland's frozen turkey breast which us only £3. Its moist and very tasty.

I buy a lot if meat from Iceland and we love it and so does my purse.

I hope it works for you, its rather an evolved recipe!

greeneggsandjam Wed 06-Aug-14 12:08:02

Thank you, I will give it a go when I get all the bits together smile

I use beef mince, never though to try it with another but turkey mince could work (I'd probably add two eggs to keep it together though as I've not done much with turkey mince.

I scrunch the foil up loosely and pack it down a short edge cos my tin is too big! If you have a small loaf tin it would be fine.

It is rather like a padded out burger, it just stretches the meat out further and has flavouring added.

greeneggsandjam Wed 06-Aug-14 10:19:10

Thank you for that recipe, when you say use tin foil to stop it collapsing can you explain that a bit further please? Do you use beef mince as the other recipe posted suggests?

Is it a bit like a beef burger in the shape of a loaf?

meat loaf is splendid:

My very rough recipe:

500g mince,
3-4 slices of bread whizzed into crumbs.
small onion chopped finely
if you have it celery chopped finely but you really really dont need it.
One egg (leave out in a pinch)
stock cube or two depending on how much bread you used.
squidge of tom puree if you have it.
herbs if you have them.
splash worcestershire sauce but not much (optional)

Put into loaf tin. If it looks a bit flat squish it up and use foil to stop it collapsing.

190 degrees for about 45 mins.
Leave for 10-15 mins before turning out/cutting up so its a bit less crumbly.

You can use more/less mince/bread whatever according to your needs.
Was my standard student I need protein fare. Any left overs can be used in sarnies.

greeneggsandjam Wed 06-Aug-14 09:24:04

Interesting. I've always wondered about meatloaf. Didn't they always eat it on Roseanne and programmes like that? I think I will have to try and follow that recipe now. I remember they also set up a shop at one point selling 'loose meat sandwiches' that were delicious apparently and I really wanted to try one of those too!

catbonnet Fri 01-Aug-14 09:29:22

We do roast chicken and eat the leftovers. We use it in fried rice, combine it with chickpeas and veg in a curry, etc.

Another thing we do is American meatloaf - it goes with all the Sunday roast trimmings, is sliceable, and is cheap as made with mince. It's really good in sandwiches and I've also used it in a curry and pasta.

myrecipemagic.com/recipe/recipedetail/the-best-meatloaf

I use passata instead of ketchup for the topping.

jessiemummy28 Thu 31-Jul-14 20:25:24

We never cook a roast, meals on a Sunday are the same as any other day in this house blush.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Fri 30-May-14 09:17:56

I am not a big meat eater but have found roast chicken portions/quarters can be cheap if you dont want to be eating chicken for the rest of the week. Pork shoulder can be cheap when on offer too. Morrisons do pork shank for about £2 a kilo. If you 'flay' it by spliting it down one side so the skin doesn't touch the bottom of the pan it is less greasy and makes fab crackling. Also the kids get a bone to chew as they are savages.
We dont have beef or lamb as it's too expensive, even breast of lamb or shoulder. Never done pot roast so cant comment on that although my mate says brisket is economical and tasty.
Other ideas include boiled bacon and dumplings or stew. Mince is no longer a cheap option so needs bulking out to go far.

ravenAK Sun 04-May-14 19:27:32

Veggie family. If dh is buying, we have something Quorn-y.

I prefer to do something like aduki bean cottage pie, lentil roast or mushroom-in-the-hole - Quorn is expensive & I don't really like it.

Approved Food sometimes have vegetarian packet mix things - I have a stockpile of Granose 'chicken-style roast' things. Again I'm not a huge fan, but they were a few pence each!

myron Sun 04-May-14 19:22:07

Aldi large chicken at £4.99 does 1 sunday roast, 1 chicken curry and 1 stirfry so a minimum of 3 meals for us. Sometimes, I stretch it to 4 with chicken/veg fried rice/risotto. I also use the HM stock for soup which I tend to have for weekday lunches. This is for 2 ads & 2 primary aged DC. I am not measily with my portions either and the chicken is usually 2+kg.

If you are really stretched for cash, make mini toad in the holes with the Swedish meatballs for £1.99. Use a muffin/cupcake tin and pop 1 meatball per Yorkshire pudding - a little meat goes that bit further - my DC really like these so having 3/4 each alongside some salad/veg is an easy meal. It's a good party snack/canapé too. I add herbs and mustard to my batter to give it more flavour.

MsAspreyDiamonds Fri 25-Apr-14 14:34:49

I noticed that M&S do a 3 for �10 offer on fresh meat mpst weeks. It is worth buying to keep in the freezer to use when money is a bit tight.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 25-Apr-14 09:12:02

Dh has switched to meat pie for him and the dc's 3 weeks out of 4.Pay week its meat.
Dc's eat veggie with me in the week now and that cuts costs.

BoffinMum Fri 25-Apr-14 09:10:22

Aldi chicken is absolutely fine. You have a choice of battery or free range and the taste is identical to entry level Waitrose chicken. They probably come from the same farms.

Allalonenow Thu 24-Apr-14 22:45:54

Beef casserole made with a cheap cut, but dressed up a bit with Yorkshire pud and/or dumplings.
Chicken casserole with lots of mushrooms, whole small onions, carrots etc, served with pasta with butter/oil and herbs or rice.
Gammon joint with cauliflower cheese or drum head cabbage cheese or collcannon.

chocolatespiders Thu 24-Apr-14 22:30:18

Is the Aldi chicken good- keep meaning to try it.

Blossum123 Thu 24-Apr-14 22:21:10

I often buy a cheap cut of beef and do it in the slow cooker - that's a fav in our house esp if served in a large Yorkshire pudding with loads of roasts! X

BoffinMum Tue 22-Apr-14 23:02:29

Cheap chicken or something from Iceland.

ghostmous3 Mon 21-Apr-14 05:11:20

We had pork shoulder for a fiver from morrisons yesterday with some lovely crackling on top

It fed seven of us, with a bit left over. It was bloody lovely, i was very impressed!

LadyMetroland Sun 30-Mar-14 14:51:55

A lovely slow-cooked beef casserole using the cheapest cuts of beef, bulked out with root veg and button mushrooms. Cheaper and easier than a roast. Can also be used as a pie filling if you need it to go even further.

Illumanting Sun 30-Mar-14 14:39:04

Since I stopped buying non free range chicken 5 years ago we only have about 3 chickens a year. I find pork the cheapest meat for roast. We only have a roast fortnightly, and not in high summer. And usually we have a quorn roast which is very cheap.

PPPpickUPaPenguin Sun 30-Mar-14 14:16:40

The wine in the meal deal I buy, I use some in cooking and freeze portions to be used at a later stage.

PPPpickUPaPenguin Sun 30-Mar-14 14:15:57

I got the M&S meal deal. It was £20. I got beef that would cost over £16.00, wine £6, two large veg I can't recall their price to buy individually and a luxury apple pie £4. The beef will be cooked, and carved, spare slices will be frozen in slices then defrosted and cooked in gravy at a later stage.

The thing is you have to have the spare money to lay out for this to save in the long term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now