I need an amazing budgeting tool that can look forward etc

(13 Posts)
householdchorewhore Thu 13-Mar-14 17:33:59

Not sure how to word this but hoping someone can help!

I really need a tool or spreadsheet template to help me budget and look forward.

So at the moment I have two lists; how much I have in my current, savings and ISAs and how much debt (credit card bills that need paying).

How do I both budget but plan? I would love to put something together that sort of forecasts how much debt I will have paid off and savings I have made

(I know I should pay off debt before saving but I have a 0% debt and 2% on my ISA now for example).

Does anyone know of the best way to do this? I'm hoping planning in numbers will inspire me to stick to budget and save properly!

potbellyroast Thu 13-Mar-14 17:57:25

You need YNAB. Only just started using the trial version but I can already see how good it is. There's a thread about it in money matters. Read a few posts first then download the trial version then go back to the thread as it'll make more sense then.

potbellyroast Thu 13-Mar-14 17:58:17

It'll help you budget but not sure about the forecast of being debt free.

MumofDockgreen Thu 13-Mar-14 18:15:59

Have you looked at the budget planner on the Money service Advice Goverment website.
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/categories/budget-planner
and or Martin Lewis website money saving expert http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/Budget-planning
Both brilliant.
I would say print out the money advice service one and fill it with all your Bills and paper work to hand. Do this with your other half and be gentle with his ego (or was that just me)
Then use this to fill in the boxes on the site. It does all the calculations for you.
Don't mess about with the cups of coffee brew+ look at the very big bills + big savings first. Energy, bank charges Find out if there are any tax rebates due. Martin Lewis site best for this. I am hoping to get a tax rebate for washing my uniform at home. Switching Gas + Elec to save �300 for next year. Reduced our broadband costs to save �100. Double check his facts with Which website too re reveiws on the new companies you might switch to. I have been working on it for a month now and it's a daily and weekly job. Good luck smile

MumofDockgreen Thu 13-Mar-14 18:17:40

potbelly What is YNAB?

everythingsgoingsouth Thu 13-Mar-14 18:35:10

You Need A Budget, pop it in searcg, there are a couple of threads about it

MumofDockgreen Thu 13-Mar-14 18:48:45

Thank you I'll have a look smile

householdchorewhore Thu 13-Mar-14 21:38:37

Thabks I'll have a look!

AnythingNotEverything Thu 13-Mar-14 21:40:02

You could do all this on excel. DH has spreadsheets detailing all the different maternity leave/working pattern scenarios we may encounter over the next few years. He's a bit of a money geek though.

householdchorewhore Thu 13-Mar-14 21:40:54

Yes I've tried a spreadsheet but I just don't really know where to start....!

ceeveebee Thu 13-Mar-14 21:49:34

I use an iPhone app called Accounts Tracker. It took a while to set up but then you can add recurring entries easily to forecast up to 2 years agead. I find it very easy to update as i can just enter any new spending on my phone, and it produces some great reports on spend, balances. etc

Starbear Thu 13-Mar-14 22:25:45

ceeveebee Is the Account Tracker a UK app. I find American ones a little annoying. With Gas instead of petrol etc. Or is that just me.

ceeveebee Fri 14-Mar-14 10:09:36

Yes, it's UK - but you have to set up all your own categories anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now