Geting started on Ebay

(10 Posts)
daftwit Tue 04-Mar-14 17:48:05

I want to start selling on E bay, childrens clothes & toys mainly but I have not a clue how to begin. The post and packaging confuses me and I do not even own scales so have no idea how much to charge . Any advice is gladly received.

Iamnotanugget Tue 04-Mar-14 18:59:38

Unless the children's clothes are in excellent condition and either Boden or designer they tend to sell for pennies and once ebay and PayPal fees come off you'll make very little. With toys I expect you'll need to put on quite high p&p costs due to size and this puts people off.

I would suggest you try your local Facebook selling pages instead. Items tend to sell for slightly less but as there are no fees and the buyer usually collects you won't lose out on postage so you probably get the same amount overall.

If you're determined to use ebay then look at what similar items are selling for and how much people are charging for postage. It's usually best to start the bidding at 99p but if you have a minimum sale price in mind then put a reserve price on it.

Mum2Fergus Tue 04-Mar-14 19:05:18

I'd avoid Ebay due to the ridiculous fees they charge...how about Gumtree, or local FB selling pages?

tiredandsadmum Tue 04-Mar-14 19:13:46

Good advice above, but on facebook you do get a lot of no shows/messing around. But I do very well on there for books and games. Also I am in a village outside the nearest town and get a lot of requests to deliver. (I find for that, an enthusiastic of course I can, at 50p per mile round trip, soon stops that)

You could try a nearly new sale - they do vary in structure but you have a dedicated audience for kids stuff upto age 8.

daftwit Tue 04-Mar-14 19:29:09

Thank you all for your advice. I usually give clothes to charity shops , so even if I sell for a £1.00 an item I will make some cash .

I have girls Brownie uniforms and most of the clothes are Next or M&S and a few pairs of Adidas trainers.

Bit of a loss as to what to do..

specialsubject Tue 04-Mar-14 22:04:35

selling at £1 an item (plus postage, on which you also get charged 10%) with the paypal fee will make you about 30p.

DoneWithStruggling Wed 05-Mar-14 19:14:22

The brownie uniform is probably worth selling - put a free ad in local supermarket or let Brown Owl know.

The rest try one of those per/kg clothes places. Childrens' clothing sells for so little (especially after selling fees and general bother of photographing, weighing, posting, chasing non-payers up and complaints that your used clothing didn't come with free ten pound notes in the pockets), that it is the most effective way to monetise it. It's not much though.

tiredandsadmum Thu 06-Mar-14 00:54:48

it is usually 50-60 p per kg and there are minimum weights.

sugar4eva Fri 07-Mar-14 14:41:26

We take our stuff to post office to get the weight first . Then u dont lose out on p and p .

Nicplus2 Fri 21-Mar-14 20:28:18

ebay can work, kids clothes do sell well sometimes particularly designer or next etc make sure you put as much info in the title as possible.
Any clothes that are maybe not so designer bundle them up, make sure you put pics on, you can put 12 for free.
Anything you list under 99p is free.
Go to the post office and ask for a price list, you do get to know sizes prices etc, if unsure to start off with take the item/parcel to the post office 1st, royal mail changed recently to make it easier.
Dont overprice on postage as a lot seem to do as it puts ppl off but maybe add just a little extra to cover fees, also remeber to add on packaging price although i tend to recycle carrrier bags if poss x
Look into my hermes or collect plus for bulkier items like toys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now