How to live on £300 per month? Or raise extra cash tips please ?

(3 Posts)
frazzled74 Fri 28-Feb-14 19:03:53

Or both? It's only a short term financial dip due to a cut in pay and a few big unexpected bills but really want to get back on track. Is £300 a month for family of 5, food and toiletries etc doable for a few months? Any good tips for raising extra cash? Don't think I have much to eBay! Any suggestions appreciated.

SugarMiceInTheRain Fri 28-Feb-14 19:13:11

Definitely doable for food toiletries etc. £75 a week is what I spend for a family of 4 (well, 5 now, but youngest is only 2 weeks old!) without being particularly careful.

My main tip would be to meal plan - make sure nothing is being wasted, you don't impulse buy, but stick to your list. Also do not shop when hungry.

Cut down on the amount of meat/ chicken etc in meals and bulk things out using pulses, rice, pasta etc.

Do your main shop at Aldi or Lidl, buy bread/ milk etc from Farmfoods - these things make a big difference - if I'm skint I can probably save £20 on each weekly shop by going to these places instead of Asda or Tesco.

Car booting can raise the odd extra £50, particularly if you have unwanted Christmas gifts, toys children have grown out of etc. Though it's not the best weather for car boot sales right now! grin

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 28-Feb-14 19:31:42

we have an indoor car boot at our local leisure centre.
Definitely changr to aldi for a while. Check what you have in stock and see how long you can eek it out - being really frugal, water down just a tiny bit, hand wash, fairy liquid, comfort etc. try to shop every ten days instead of every week for a while. JOIN US OVER ON THE FRUGAL FEBRUARY (AND SOON MARCH) THREADS. If I see your name I will ask fluffy to repost her fab links to old posts. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now