pescatarian meal plans you wouldn't mind sharing?

(19 Posts)
perfectview Sat 15-Feb-14 08:42:58

We are a family who eat veggie food and fish mainly. The children eat meat but much smaller amounts so not as £££.

Does anyone have a meal plan filled with veggie or fish meals they would like to share? and any tips on where to buy and how much you generally spend per week?

We are a family of two adults and two children (2 and 5) in need of a bit of inspiration.

perfectview Sat 15-Feb-14 13:44:30

Bump?

MrsBungle Sat 15-Feb-14 13:51:44

We tend to eat:
Tuna pasta bake and salad
Veggie lasagne - either load of veg or spinach and ricotta or meat-free mince
Quorn or lentil curries
Pad Thai - usually just veg but sometimes I put prawns in.
Veggie mince burritos
Veg fajitas
Roast dinners with no meat
Mackerel fillets
Pittas filled with veg/quorn pieces, cheese, onions in a hot sauce, quinoa or rice and salad
Veggie sausages toad in the hole
Veggie pizzas

We don't eat much fish really as you can see and I don't think I'm best to ask about cost as I need to reduce my food bill! Hopefully my post will bump this though!

There are lots of nice veggie recipes on the bbc good food website.

perfectview Sat 15-Feb-14 14:05:49

Thanks for that. I was particularly hoping for ideas for veggies like the chicken making three meals- ie reduce food waste and save cooking time etc.

Nojustalurker Sat 15-Feb-14 16:04:19

Try batch cooking, it is as simple as cooking twice the amount and freezing. Using frozen veg for less waste. Check your fridge, freezer and cupboards before shopping and only buy what you need.

AwkwardSquad Sat 15-Feb-14 18:16:22

I can't think of a veggie / fish equivalent to the magic Mumsnet chicken, but you can extend fish quite elastic by making things like pilafs. I do a sort of pilaf thing which serves at least four and uses two fillets of salmon instead of one per person. It has plenty of veg (onions, garlic, mushrooms, peas, broccoli, leeks, poached salmon cut into chunks, basmati rice. All of it just cooked. Mix gently together in oven proof dish, add a bit of lemon zest, salt and pepper. Then cover in foil and heat through in oven.

Kedgeree is another good one, along similar lines.

Fish stew - sauté onions, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, flavourings (I use crushed coriander seed and orange peel), some stock, one tin of tomatoes, green beans. It should be thck, not too soupy. Gently cook through, 30 mins or so. Then add white fish in chunks. Cook through, 10 mins. Serves four with bread.

AwkwardSquad Sat 15-Feb-14 18:17:03

'Quite elastic'? I meant 'quite a lot'.

AwkwardSquad Sat 15-Feb-14 18:17:52

The suggestions above reheat really well, btw.

AwkwardSquad Sat 15-Feb-14 18:23:03

Sweet potatoes. Lovely as baked potatoes, with veg chilli or coleslaw and cheese. Bake some extra, and they make gorgeous sweet potato mash the next day or day after. Just slice open, the flesh practically falls out. Into saucepan, smoosh up with fork or potato masher. I then add some butter and yoghurt, heat gently so the yoghurt doesn't go grainy. Flavour - salt, pepper, some paprika. It's amazing with preserved lemon but that is perhaps not child friendly.

thenightsky Sat 15-Feb-14 18:29:05

We have a lot of fish and veggie meals.

If I have to go into a supermarket to pick up odd bits during the week, I always check out the fish counter to see what's on offer that I can freeze. I have loads of half price stuff that way.

A good quicky is fish pie. Cheap pack of fish pie mix (white fish, smoked fish and salmon) mixed with a (currently half price) tub of philadelphia cheese - the garlic and herb one. Top with either potatoes or 600g of the cheapest of cheap frozen cauliflower, mashed. Bake at about 180c for half an hour. Then sprinkle some cheddar on top and bake a further 10 mins till golden brown.

Smoked mackerel rice (onion, diced carrots sautéed then cooked with the rice and veg stock cube peas in near the end then stir through flaked smoked mackerel and blob of Philadelpia if liked)

veggie chilli - easy on the heat for DS, chipotle salsa sauce on the side for me & dh. Big batch. At last 2meals one with rice one with jacket etc. Goes even further with grated cheese and natural yog as sides

salmon tea - salmon fillets with crispy skin, potato insome form, peas and broccoli. Homemade parsley sauce or hollandaise if can be arsed.

Fish pie

Veg stir fry with or without prawns

pesto pasta peas and prawns (also works with salmon flakes and if offer on salmon fillets i cook extra on a salmon tea night and have this next night or night after)

broccoli and/or cauliflower cheese roast (roast snips, spuds, carrots and yorkies)

Roast vegs (I like peppers, beetroot, aubergine, courgette and sweet potato - chuck in a few cherry tomatoes half way through and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar when done) big batch and does dinner with herby cous cous and crumbled goat cheese plus lunches in a wrap or with salad.

Not really a meal plan rather than some stuff we eat frequently for ideas!

perfectview Sat 15-Feb-14 21:10:09

Lovely thanks! Have always fancied trying kedgeree so am particularly pleased with that suggestion!

spababe Mon 10-Mar-14 18:49:43

risotto with whatever veg we have/is cheap - might even be frozen veg

pasta with cooked veg and a tub Philly light stirred in to melt

pasta with flaked cooked salmon stirred in, cooked peas/sweetcorn and some plain yoghurt and mayo

jacket potatoes with beans and salad

couscous with roasted veg and fried Haloumi slices

chilli made with fried onion then add 1 tin canellini beans 1 tin kidney beans then mash a bit before adding tin chopped tomatoes and chilli. I serve with pack 8 tortillas

'fry up' quorn sausages and quorn bacon with fried eggs and either tin beans or tinned tomatoes

homity pie - ready made pastry filled with very well fried onions (caramalized) cooled boiled potato cubes and grated cheese then all cooked in oven half an hour serve with a green veg

veggie lasagne make tomato sauce with tinned chopped tomatoes and add veg. Layer up with dried lasagne and for topping whisk 2 eggs with plain yoghurt and sprinkle with cheddar.

squash bake - wedge a butternut squash and remove seeds. brush with oil and bake until soft. Fry a couple of onions then into a food processor (or mash) put onion, squash, grated cheese and 2 eggs. Blend then put into oven proof dish and bake half an hour - souffles up nicely. Serve with green veg or salad.

spababe Mon 10-Mar-14 20:45:57

just remembered:
veggie crumble - cook veg in a tomato sauce then crumble mix as normal but replace sugar with grated cheese and nuts eg peanuts or walnuts and a handful of oats

specialsubject Mon 10-Mar-14 20:59:50

just finished the 'dish with no name' which is a favourite here - we've no diet restrictions, we just like it!

for two big eaters: 3 fillets of Tesco cheap white fish, some stir-fryable veg, Thai fish sauce, chilli flakes (leave out if not liked), tin of anchovies. chop it all up, fry it, chuck on some of the fish sauce, serve with rice which you need to start a bit earlier.

two pans, 20 mins.

BigBirthdayGloom Tue 11-Mar-14 20:30:05

Fish pie with plenty of veg in the sauce and using value white fish.

The kids love Quorn Sausages with Yorkshire puds and gravy.

Smoked salmon (I always have some in the freezer) and scrambled eggs or a big smoked salmon and veg frittata (its very good cold the next day for lunch). You can buy smoked salmon trimmings cheaply in the supermarket and they are good for cooking.

Papaluigi Mon 24-Mar-14 15:23:39

Pasta with smoked salmon

Packet of Cheapo smoked salmon trimmings
Onion
Garlic
Creme fraiche or soured cream or single cream
Pasta

Fry onion n garlic till soft, add in fish, stir around for a bit, add in the cream, heat through. Add to the pasta and enjoy. Add parsley for extra fineness. Add a bit of tomatoes purée to make it even fancier.

KinkyDorito Sat 29-Mar-14 09:17:11

Vege chilli: Fry peppers, mushrooms, carrots, onion then add tin baked beans, tin kidney beans, tin chopped toms, chilli, quorn sausages, (I oven bake or microwave frozen quorn sausages and chop into pieces). Then black olives. Makes bloody loads. I pick saus out and freeze leftovers too. Serve with grated cheese and wedges, jackets or rice.

Pasta and pesto - cook pasta and a head of broccolli and big handful frozen peas; chopped quorn sausages, fry courgette and mushrooms, mix together in big pan with pesto, serve with grated cheese.

We have to eat a lot of quick stuff as I work long hours. This week, menu is:

Monday - Stir fry with noodles (I chop up vege burgers into this) and soy sauce

Tuesday - Pasta pesto concoction as described above

Wednesday - chip tea (so quorn sausages, egg, chips, beans)

Thursday - possibly bolognaise or another stir fry

Friday - Jackets with baked bean mix-up and grated cheese (cook onions, peppers, mushrooms, chopped up quorn sausages or burgers - you will notice a theme with my cooking grin - and mix half a tin of chopped toms, dried oregano and tin of baked beans. Heat through, top potatoes with that and some grated cheese.

Many carbs here. Roll on salad season!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now