Couponing

(16 Posts)
MrsLeonard Tue 04-Feb-14 17:20:08

i know its not possible here to the extent that you can in america, but is anyone a couponer? i am getting into it and so far have saved around £40 in 3 weeks. it might not sound like a lot but i am finding it very difficult to find coupons for regular shopping rather than junk food, health foods and household cleaning products.

TooTiredToBeWitty Tue 04-Feb-14 18:57:09

Can you tell me how it works? Where does one find the coupons in the first place? TIA

MrsLeonard Tue 04-Feb-14 18:59:51

well i've only just started, but you can get coupons from certain manufacturers if you email or write to them with a compliment about their products, there are also several fb pages about it where printable coupons are posted, but i dont really know much myself yet.

SillyBlueHat Tue 04-Feb-14 19:06:39

Watching for tips...

LoveBeingCantThinkOfAName Tue 04-Feb-14 19:11:32

I tried but didn't get very far tbh

ShadowOfTheDay Tue 04-Feb-14 19:11:35

We don't ever go out to eat, to an attraction, or buy anything big without looking online for a voucher... you can apply that to the smaller stuff like shopping - we do ... sometimes........ newspapers/magazines are a good source too

We have a separate email address for "signing up" to e-newsletters too - that way the "junk" does not spam the personal account.... ALL the supermarkets and chainstores have them and send printable vouchers from time to time...

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Tue 04-Feb-14 19:15:41

I've been watching too much extreme couponers, but am trying to work out how to do it on a smaller scale.
I've so far got £20 ish vouchers from Asda, which was £10 for a complaint about the website
(fault with the site and told i would get call backs and had to wait 2 days to order and be delivered)

and the rest is the compare thing you can do. But now keeping an eye out for discount codes.
Never buy anything online without searching for a discount code.
Saved over £200 doing this on recent baby and house purchases grin

confusedofengland Wed 05-Feb-14 19:20:54

If you're after vouchers for healthy things, check out the change4life swap website, they are offering vouchers to help you swap to healthier foods. I have sent off for some, but they've not arrived yet, so not sure what you get.

Bluecarrot Thu 06-Feb-14 11:13:24

Moneysaving expert site has list of current vouchers and eagle eyed posters regularly post good deals.

Tbh, I find that being able to stock pile items on offer is far better than vouchers. Almost everything is on offer at some point, often up to 50% off.

dizhin79 Sat 08-Feb-14 07:32:09

pick up free supermarket magazines, keep an eye on money saving expert, also check out places like quidco and top cash back sites!

Also use your points from cards wisely, often you can double then up.

SavoyCabbage Sat 08-Feb-14 07:35:34

I think £40 in 3 weeks is really good. It's quite a lot of money really for doing very little.

chanie44 Sat 08-Feb-14 09:16:09

The problem with the extreme couponers is that they get excited about things that are on offer and not necessarily products they want or need.

I once managed to buy some bleach with a printable voucher which made it 25p a bottle, but then my family all wanted a bottle I ended up giving away most of my stash.
LESSON - don't brag about your finds as family members will as you to share!!!

trufflehunterthebadger Fri 14-Feb-14 00:45:05

Shopitize is a great money back app. There are 5 of us in our house, we all have an account (i have 3) so we can maximise our savings

trufflehunterthebadger Fri 14-Feb-14 00:50:01

Eg tonight they have carte d'or creme brulee with 70p cashback. If you get it at sainsbury's it is bogof at 3.20. Using two of our household accounts we will get back £1.40 off that £3.20. 90p per tub. Using our 8 accounts i will get 8 tubs of it for 7.20 which would usually be £25.60. We have loads of freezer space and eat enough ice cream to make it worthwhile. I have selected quite a few bits for this week and will also look for coupons on the bits i am getting cashback om

trufflehunterthebadger Fri 14-Feb-14 00:52:37

Next week Dh and i are going out for dinner with vouchers - 2 large glasses of wine, two free ice cream sundaes and if we go on a "big deal night" we'll get curry, poppadoms, naan, side dishes and second glass of wine for £6.99 each smile

I love couponing

MrsLeonard Mon 17-Feb-14 22:20:56

thanks all, am still going with it, printed out quite a few vouchers this week and will be saving about £12 on my shopping tomorrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now