Even when being frugal, what's the one 'luxury' you HAVE to have?

(121 Posts)
bbcessex Sat 01-Feb-14 21:20:50

disclaimer if the budget can physically stretch to it, of course...

I have to have nice instant coffee.. such as Millicano, Azera etc. Can't start the day without it (well - not without being a right grump, anyway!).

I will now happily shop at Aldi, and love everything I've bought so far, but I tried their Colombian coffee (not the same ground instant type anyway, but gave it a go)... bleeuurr.. cross between Nescafe & gravy!!!

What's the one luxury you factor in to your budget?

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 01-Feb-14 21:21:55

Toilet paper thats not like tracing paper.

Mintyy Sat 01-Feb-14 21:22:35

Lurpak butter

Twinings Earl Grey.
And I have vowed today to only buy Puppy On A Roll loo roll for ever more.

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 01-Feb-14 21:25:04

As a tangent to the thread If you go to mySuperMarket you can price check the supermarkets and Milicano refills are almost always on offer at £2 somewhere so comparable to Aldi coffee. I agree with the Aldi coffee not being of the same standard - i do like the decaf though.

legoplayingmumsunite Sat 01-Feb-14 21:26:17

Nice soap, I always buy lots in TK Maxx in the run up to Christmas. I reckon decent aged soap lasts much longer than normal and so is actually a saving. It's certainly a lot cheaper than all the liquid soap the supermarket sells these days.

We have given up TV and the xbox, swapped Waitrose for Aldi and budgeted every single penny for almost two years now. But I will not, not, not give up posh makeup. Thankfully I have enough to last about 20 years so I don't ever have to buy it.

BrennanHasAMangina Sat 01-Feb-14 21:27:05

Wine, good dark chocolate, good coffee and NB running shoes. And Apple TV.

Ratfinkle Sat 01-Feb-14 21:28:05

Heinz baked beans and tomato ketchup!

Wheels79 Sat 01-Feb-14 21:28:47

Don't bother with any magazines or newspapers apart from Vanity Fair. Hoping someone will buy me a gift subscription.

Ratfinkle Sat 01-Feb-14 21:28:52

Err I realise they are not really luxury items but I can't stand any other brand...

IamMummyhearmeROAR Sat 01-Feb-14 21:33:31

Good coffee beans

bbcessex Sat 01-Feb-14 21:35:29

MisForMumNotMaid - good tip, thanks, I will try that. I do always try to get Azera on offer - you're right, it does always seem to be on offer some.

Just seen that Nescafe now have a 'Barista' coffee.. seems to be a bigger tin that Azera so I will try that.

BrennanhasaMangina... I agree, things would have to be pretty bad indeed for me to give up wine.. (I would probably be a lot healthier though!).

bbcessex Sat 01-Feb-14 21:36:11

some - somewhere
(tis the aforementioned wine!).

Fairylea Sat 01-Feb-14 21:38:13

Clover

Galaxy caramel

Betty crocker brownie mix !

bbcessex Sat 01-Feb-14 21:38:52

RemustLupins - what is it with Puppy loo roll?

It is the softest and loveliest one there is! smile

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Feb-14 21:41:51

Nice bedding. I like high thread counts but I can't afford it this month.

I check tk Maxxs bedding dept out more than is healthy.

sooperdooper Sat 01-Feb-14 21:44:01

Nice makeup, anything else I can go for the cheapest available but I do like to have decent makeup

Mellowandfruitful Sat 01-Feb-14 21:45:12

It's true that Milicano or Azera are always on offer somewhere. Plus if you can afford to stock up a few tins when they are on offer, you can probably last out till the next time...

I have successfully switched to supermarket own brands on a number of things, but have gone back to Heinz beans as the own brand beans just weren't as nice, and I found myself being reluctant to eat them, whereas with the Heinz I am happy to have beans on toast for dinner.

Remus having bought Andrex Aloe Vera for ages, I tried Morrisons own version and now think I like it better...

bbcessex Sat 01-Feb-14 21:47:19

grin laughs at the thought of fluffycloudland being gently lead away from the duvet section grin

Passthecake30 Sat 01-Feb-14 21:47:27

Green & blacks dark choc, clinique cosmetics, charmin/double velvet, listerine, posh h&b prunes. ..

Probably lots more!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Feb-14 21:48:51

blush

Pretty sure the store detective follows me too, especially the day I bought a le crueset dish.

duvetheaven Sat 01-Feb-14 21:49:52

L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil - £17 I think but lasts me about a year although I don't use it every day. My little bit of luxury : ) as I have to be frugal most of the time.

GlitzAndGiggles Sat 01-Feb-14 21:49:56

Make up. I hate how I look without it and I have low self esteem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now