Today I saved a bit of money by...

(150 Posts)
Dilidali Wed 22-Jan-14 22:23:05

Arranging coffee with a friend at my house, as opposed to our usual coffee shop.

Bringing my own packed lunch.

Remembering to renew my library books on line.

Shopping with a list, the challenge was not to stray from it.

NetworkGuy Fri 21-Feb-14 13:56:13

for bbcessex - "Amazon did 6 packs of Millicano for £12"

Asda near me (Merseyside) regularly has the 85g refills at £2, and can I recommend > Hot UK deals.com < for plenty of other bargains, worth looking 2/3 times a week...

Individuals post about anything and everything (lasagne to lubes, mobiles to mushrooms, clothing to computers, and much, much, more).

jezzasjockstrap Wed 19-Feb-14 17:14:23

Took DCs out to the wildlife park today. We found a �10 discount voucher on Facebook so �19 instead of �29 for three of us.
And we took a picnic instead of using their cafe.

invicta Tue 18-Feb-14 22:00:39

I saved money by cancelling a magazine subscription I no longer need.

Dilidali Tue 18-Feb-14 08:52:47

By sitting down with all the bills and combing with a fine tooth.
Turns out I've been paying £5 every month to BT for Their cloud option, never knew existed, never asked for it. It's set up in my DH's name, the bills went to his emails, I just saw that instead of £17 the bill was never under 25. So we cancelled that and got a 6 months refund as well.

And the water bill, they wrote to me back in september to say theat they will increase the bill to £60. Out of the blue with no justification. From £18. I called back then straight away, they amended their decision, I was happy.... but guess what, they continued to take £60!!!!! I called back yesterday, oh, sorry, our bad, you only need to pay £15 a month, but why didn't you check, he goes, it's your money!!!! errrrmmm, because I did, we had a discution, we're all grown ups, I'm paying you for water, not baby sitting!

So quite a hefty refund coming back.

So, the moral of the story is: take 6 minutes and check your bills. I do it every 6 months, looks like I need to check every other month.

BigBirthdayGloom Fri 14-Feb-14 15:55:21

The weather being so miserable that I had no inclination to step outside my front door!

MsAspreyDiamonds Fri 14-Feb-14 04:42:09

I used �15 of my Tescos clubcard points to boost to a national rail family card. It would have cost �30 if I didn't use mt clubcard boost points.

BigBirthdayGloom Thu 13-Feb-14 19:44:18

Having lunch and coffee at home before going out instead of on the way to work.

Chottie Wed 12-Feb-14 08:17:14

Took pack lunch to work
Walked to and from work to save on bus fair
Avoided the shopping centre on the way home

stiffstink Tue 11-Feb-14 20:41:46

Just looked at quotes for car insurance and with Quidco cashback I'll be paying £193 a year. Sweet!

Using read it swap it website - yes I had to pay to post my book off but I got a vgc copy of a much desired book for less than shops grin and DH is happy because my book supply is dwindling

SweetPeaPods Mon 10-Feb-14 22:38:19

Today I have changed broadband supplier and paid for annual bt line rental.
I was meant to go to soft play this afternoon with ds to meet friends but couldn't be bothered but didn't go so saved money on lunch/coffee/cake.
Got pg again so no alcohol for me or DH
I have however got myself a little addicted to eBay. But I'm going to go through our wardrobes etc see what I can start selling to.

RandomMess Mon 10-Feb-14 21:28:54

Tootired that is fantastic!

rookiemater Mon 10-Feb-14 21:26:49

BBCessex - we're the same at the cinema, used to get pick and mix there for DS and whatever friend he brought along, total cost min of �5, now have bags of Haribo at 50p from Asda ready for the occasion.

Tootired - well done on your mortgage investigations.

TooTiredToBeWitty Mon 10-Feb-14 19:23:57

Today I saved a STONKING amount of money shockshockshock

I queried my mortgage statement as it didn't tie up at all with my own DIY Excel spreadsheet at home of where I should be 'at' by now. Transpires that whilst they had on screen the scanned letter I signed last year clearly stating we were now on 1.99% fixed rate, it had never been manually applied so the system keeps automatically charging me 4.99% Massive refund coming my way which will all go as a capital repayment.

It pays to check. I thought I was a numpty at maths but it just didn't make sense to me. So I composed my 'I am an idiot but I just have to ask you to explain this to me' face and went in person to the build soc this morning. Ta day! Transpires I am not an idiot.

In a similar vein, yesterday I rang my bank to enquire a £20 charge. Another mistake, I am meant to have a fee free overdraft, which in fact i never use anyway. £20 back in my account.

It pays to go through everything with a fine tooth comb, not sit back and expect it all to be done exactly right on one's behalf. Human error, understandable, I'd rather have humans than robots running my bank, but human nevertheless so prone to oversights, mistakes etc.

bbcessex Mon 10-Feb-14 18:40:24

Realised I have saved a considerable amount of cash by now buying multi-packs of Coke / Sprite..

I never used to buy them in the weekly shop, but always gave the DC £1 each time for the vending machine as a treat after football etc.

Now I can get 6-8 cans for around £2, and give them one of them to take...

Honestly - I don't know why I didn't catch on to this planning lark years ago...

IamMummyhearmeROAR Mon 10-Feb-14 16:54:43

Made a huge pot of soup for my lunches at work. Right now I'm sitting freezing in my car instead of perusing the retail park and drinking coffee while my daughters are at dancing. This makes me feel grumpy though rather than virtuous.

silkknickers Mon 10-Feb-14 14:10:57

switching Broadband providers. Saved myself around £36 a month (although that is on a fixed rate deal, so it WILL go up in a year's time, but I've calculated it all and it will still be a saving).
I went via Quidco and have got £90 cashback smile

Dilidali Sun 09-Feb-14 21:27:56

By organising a book swap with several friends. I now have quite a pile and it didn't cost a penny.

rookiemater Sun 09-Feb-14 17:27:57

I ran into town and used myJohnlewis vouchers for a healthy nutritious free lunch of cappucino and chocolate cake blush - although I did end up buying DH a joke present for Valentines so it wasn't that frugal.

Also my foundation is about to run out and Clinique are doing a free 5 day trial on their range - I couldn't decide which one was right so the lady gave me two samples to try.

Making playdoh. Two massive batches, cost about 97p for the lot. That's including glitter and fragrance.

invicta Sat 08-Feb-14 19:07:49

Bought some plain flour from local corner shop. It probably cost more than a supermarket, but I didn't have to drive there, and I didn't spend my money on extras which I didn't really need.

umiaisha Fri 07-Feb-14 17:27:03

I used an avantage points booster coupon in Boots, was buying nappies, deodorant etc so not stuff I didn't need.

Took biscuits and a drink out for DS and came back home for lunch instead of visiting cafe nerro or similar.

Practiced icing cupcakes so I can make them for DS, DD and DN's birthdays in the next few weeks and not pay someone else to do it like I normally do! Fairly impressed with the result.

silkknickers Fri 07-Feb-14 11:30:19

by banking online and obsessively regularly checking my balance. I can see exactly how much money is left and so I can avoid going overdrawn.

bbcessex Thu 06-Feb-14 14:29:19

I have saved money on Azera and Millicano coffee thanks to another thread... didn't know you could get catering packs - still didn't get a catering pack, but google showed that Amazon did 6 packs of Millicano for £12, and 6 of Azera for £18 - half price, woo hoo!

Plus free delivery, between of Amazon Prime trial (which is now cancelled, thanks to the reminder on here too!).

Happy caffeine overload coming up brewgrinbrew

confusedofengland Thu 06-Feb-14 14:11:40

Today I saved money by:

Getting a haircut via Groupon (£19 for wash, cut & conditioning treatment)

Buying Tesco Value nappies (not used before, will see how they go!)

Using Boots advantage points, combined with 3for2 & 1/3 off offers in Boots

Going to a friends' house for DS1's tea (DS2 at nursery, am taking cakes, of course smile)

Quite a savey day, all in all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now