Today I saved a bit of money by...

(150 Posts)
Dilidali Wed 22-Jan-14 22:23:05

Arranging coffee with a friend at my house, as opposed to our usual coffee shop.

Bringing my own packed lunch.

Remembering to renew my library books on line.

Shopping with a list, the challenge was not to stray from it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Jan-14 22:22:43

pussycat first read your post as "bought a secondhand cup of coffee". Not even sure what that is...grin

BikeRunSki Thu 23-Jan-14 22:25:40

Parked 10 mins walked away from work in the street rather than paying to park next door.

WellThatsLife Fri 24-Jan-14 13:06:56

Book that I really wanted, before I bought them checked the library online and they have got them in stock

Thebluedog Fri 24-Jan-14 13:16:01

Going for a walk around the park with dd to feed the ducks rather than spend £2.50 at toddlers group

Passthecake30 Fri 24-Jan-14 13:18:04

Highlights, all over colour, cut and dry, £55 by home hairdresser rather than £150+ on the high street

rookiemater Fri 24-Jan-14 15:39:10

I can beat that passthecake - Half head highlights, cut & blow dry £34 using one of those daily vouchers - however my hair is very thick so I did tip £10 as it took nearly 3 hrs and it was her own salon.

Cherrypi Fri 24-Jan-14 15:58:41

Rang to cancel sky movies and got them half price for a year.

Passthecake30 Fri 24-Jan-14 19:09:56

Good price rookie!

Also benefited from a good sub from asda, 3 packs instead of one pack of toilet wipes for kids for £1 thanks asda :-)

hippoherostandinghere Fri 24-Jan-14 19:23:59

I love Asda subs. I look forward to my click amd collect sat morning to check out my subsblush

last week it was sirloin steaks for £6 instead of the £2 grill steaks I had ordered. I was very pleased indeed grin

nicename Fri 24-Jan-14 19:35:09

I told DS about all the people in the world surviving on less than a dollar a day, and how we all need to think carefully about just buying whatever we fancy whenever we fancy it. So I have been good in not buying impulse purchases when out, reading the free newspapers, not buying coffees, taking lunch to work, and, bless 'im, DS has been really good about not asking for 'stuff' when we are out.

I bought a stack of lovely veg at the market today and saved a fortune - it may not be organic or beautiful, but for £20 I got four bulging bads of lovely goodies that would have cost a load more in the shops.

We do sponsor a child, so some of our 'good' money will go off to him at the end of the month.

stiffstink Sat 25-Jan-14 00:51:46

Drove the wrong way out of a car park because the Entry barrier was up. Saved about £6!

confusedofengland Sat 25-Jan-14 09:03:30

Yesterday DH & I saved money by: going home for a coffee rather than buying one out.

Today we will save money by: taking a flask to the park rather than going in the cafe. Remembering to take the 20% discount vouchers we have for our pub lunch with friends. Buying Nicky loo roll at Farm Foods instead of Andrex grin

Dilidali Sat 25-Jan-14 09:45:13

Eating in rather than going out last night. Just circumstances, but there you are!

Mum2Fergus Sat 25-Jan-14 10:48:05

Having a tooth extracted so not able to eat hmm

rookiemater Sat 25-Jan-14 11:41:21

stiffstink grin !

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 25-Jan-14 13:26:32

Borrowing a book from the library instead of browsing kindle books and spending too much.

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 25-Jan-14 16:13:09

OP, what a great thread! Is this a regular thing?

By cancelling my mobile phone contract and ordering a PAYG SIM.

BikeRunSki Sat 25-Jan-14 16:15:00

Potty training dd! She is v tall and grew out of her birth to potty cloth nappies a few months ago. Been spending about £20/month on disposables, but this week she decided she'll be wearing pants from now on. Doing ok so far....

gaggiagirl Sat 25-Jan-14 16:29:49

Buying supermarket pizza instead of having dominoes. Think I have saved at least eleventy million £'s.

Dilidali Sat 25-Jan-14 16:33:36

brownsauce, thanks. It is going to be as regular as we make it, I suppose. No pressure, just something to keep on the back of the mind.
fergus , auch.
bikeski, that's exactly what my DD did, just decided no more. Middle of winter as well. Gave up on nappies, knickers, trousers, the lot. We, as parents, gave up on carpets.

Back to savings:
By refusing to give in to begging. DD threw a tantrum and I informed her calmly no is a complete sentence, you're not spending £9 on rubbish.

oadcb Sat 25-Jan-14 16:54:29

Getting DH to hang washing online. Its blown out most of wetness. Now to finish in tumble dryer. Probably 20mins compared to an hour or so.

Also current load in machine going on two airers.

We've got lazy and electric bill increased.

Also babysitting tonight to earn some money.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 25-Jan-14 17:51:30

fergus hope you are felling a bit better thanks

BRS (don't like calling you bike for obviously reasons) that's what my DS did too smile

oad. Did consider pegging out but then had massive thunder storm complete with hail. So glad I didn't. Our dryer is broken though so that is saving me loads!

Sold a couple of unwanted items on a local facebook group - got just under £10. (The money is going in our fund for when we move in a couple of months time - hopefully will be able to afford a microwave by then!)

Made a curry for tea last night. Adding bits to it tonight, so that'll save us about £20 or so.

Thebluedog Sat 25-Jan-14 18:51:01

I saved money by having a migraine an doing fuck all smile

GlitzAndGiggles Sat 25-Jan-14 18:54:57

By being at work. Food and drink is cheap for staff. If I didn't go in I would've probably gone on a pointless shopping trip and wasting money on stuff I don't need

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now