What is worth the extra cost?

(39 Posts)
Frizzbonce Tue 14-Jan-14 14:26:21

Rollerskaterabbit got an interesting thread going on wasting money which got me thinking - what do you not mind spending a bit extra on? What are you GLAD you've splashed out on?

I bought my DD a pair of Clarkes boots the other day. They cost £50, but her feet were measured, the boots are soft leather and really well made, and from experience I know she'll have them for a year at least. Still hurt but I think it was worth it.

I never feel guilty about buying books

John Lewis Egyptian cotton sheets and duvet cover. Had them for five years. Still crisp, white and perfect. (Unlike me who's become more beige and slightly soggier) grin

ohmymimi Wed 15-Jan-14 11:42:33

The trick is getting the quality without the extra cost, my mission in life.

Frizzbonce Wed 15-Jan-14 14:45:26

ohmy - "The trick is getting the quality without the extra cost, my mission in life."

Exactly!

But I never regretted my Le Creuset pans. They last a lifetime.
Thick ply Scottish cashmere from Pure. Better than Brora
A good well fitting bra
Spanx undies
Scent

Whatnamenext Wed 15-Jan-14 16:21:15

Yes to MBT trainers. I wear them all day every day. They're brilliant. They're my second pair and what an investment they are.

Although I won't be winning any fashion contests in them!

ohmymimi Wed 15-Jan-14 19:37:27

Yes, Frizz, but did you pay full price for them? I'm allergic to paying top whack for anything and too bloody tight. Eg I have a lovely 'Pure' sleeveless sweater, but I bought it with a two thirds' reduction. I love my 'Spanx' capris, but only stocked up when they were on offer. As for perfume, smellie likies, one or two are really good, and free samples are my friends.smile

Frizzbonce Thu 16-Jan-14 00:10:30

Ohmy the Le Creuset pans were a present. Can't say cheaper than that!
Pure cashmere - one or two bits in the sale and a few full whack. But I honestly didn't mind because I love them and they last and last.

goingmadinthecountry Thu 16-Jan-14 00:31:18

I've been married 26 years and am still using Le Creuset pans etc we were given for a present - ditto Dualit toaster and cafetiere, both used daily.
Agree with occasional good wine rather than regular cheap. Sadly, we drink regular good wine.
Would rather go without than have a cheap handbag. Dd3 (10) gets all her boots/shoes from Kurt Geiger outlet at £9 - £17 - lots of choice of flat lovely leather stuff reduced from over £100 because she has little feet.
Good coffee I could never compromise on but if someone knows of a bargain I'll be there!
I have a Parker Duofold pen. Must get it out and use it.......

ohmymimi Thu 16-Jan-14 01:30:31

Frizz - lucky you, what a great present. I did get a ceramic lined frying pan last birthday sad

minipie Thu 16-Jan-14 15:37:05

Our Youview box. means I'm never tempted to shell out for Sky or cable.

lekkerslaap Fri 17-Jan-14 22:41:13

I'm quite good at buying things that look expensive but I swear by...
Hypnos bed
John Lewis egyptian cotton bedding
John Lewis egyptian cotton towels
Berghaus fleece/waterproof jacket
Decent sofa (one day!)

thriftymrs Wed 29-Jan-14 17:27:04

As my dear mum pointed out before she passed away "why do you want to pay all that for something that lasts a lifetime? You're nearly 50 so you've already had more than half your life". Thanks mum......

Hoppinggreen Thu 30-Jan-14 21:35:34

Le creuset
Thick bin liners
Celtic sheepskin boots
The BMW garage
Mac makeup
Chanel nail varnish

LurkingCinners Thu 30-Jan-14 22:06:19

Expensive pots - we got some at our wedding 16 years ago and I still use them daily, they look as good as new.

Miele hoover - first one lasted 15 years, through a dozen house moves and one complete renovation project before he gave up. Was replaced with a Miele straight away.

Well fitting boots. Which I then have resoled and repaired until they fall to bits. Have had expensive ecco boots for 5 years now, they still have at least 3 years left in them and have never even been resoled. Quality.

The Egyptian cotton sheets/duvet covers from JL. Had them for 4 years,they are as white as on their first day, They are the only covers and sheets we use - they go off the bed into the washing maschine, then dryer, then back onto the bed in one day.Been washed ridiculous amounts of time, I cannot praise them higher.

Things that make your life easier. Sometimes the expense hurts (like black thick bin bags for garden waste, or a really good iron, or 5 school blouses and shirts per child to last the whole week) but the amount of hassle it saves cannot be measured.

oadcb Fri 31-Jan-14 04:18:38

Good coats and good shoes are my rules

DS normally gets vivo barefoot,
DD still in Clarks cruiser range at moment but will be moving to happylittlesoles.com soon for her.

Duchesse where are the lovely shoemakers in SW please?

ChubbyKitty Fri 31-Jan-14 06:32:05

Bisto gravy.

Agree with good pans as well. I may never give up my pink Viners pans (£40 on sale, should have been £150wink)

Proper germolene. With the anaesthetic in it as well. Store brands just don't work the same!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now