December debt destroying *blows the budgeteering bugle*

(481 Posts)
claretandamberforever Fri 29-Nov-13 17:53:00

Okay, so probably not much debt will be getting destroyed this month, but hopefully we won't add too much to it.

Here's the thread you want if you need to keep a spending diary somewhere, confess money sins, ask for help or have a general whinge at the cost of living.

Welcome to any newbies

And now the microwave has broke well that's 3 things!!

Its 7yrs old n a high spec one that apparently could cook a roast in never did - next one will have a heat n defrost button!! One at work i got at same time n second hand so probably 10yrs old n is basic model still going strong

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 01-Dec-13 19:15:24

my microwave is caput too after i left a metal tie wrap on a bag i was defrosting . have used Google and have to check two fuses before i bin it. i agree though - only need a reheat button for what i use. Almost a nsd but forgot butter in the online shop. Aldi next week...

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 01-Dec-13 19:17:03

And to add to Helenagrace's idea - we do tomato soup and cheese sandwich picnics. yum wink

CremeEggThief Sun 01-Dec-13 19:47:43

NSD smile .

Helenagrace Sun 01-Dec-13 20:42:05

Aldi Irish cream is nicer than Baileys IMO.

The Aldi amaretto and the pear cider aren't bad either.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sun 01-Dec-13 20:50:52

Loving the idea of picnics and hotdogs - yum grin DH may become more keen on budgeting if I tell him they re on offer!!

NK5BM3 Sun 01-Dec-13 21:16:17

Hello everyone
Wow this thread is already filling up! I've not looked at the cc bills yet. Ones already in the email. The other one should come in a week or so. hmm Bad month last month as we had two cars for their mot. One car will have its service this weekend too. hmm

I was travelling alot for work last month and so did some guilt shopping for kids to make up. Sigh.

Today started Christmas shopping. Spent £73 at m&s on 3 for 2 toys - that will suit all the kids I need to buy for in the family. Primark - £63 for Christmas pajamas, clothes and socks for grandad. grin

Frugal thing I did was made lunch and everyone ate enroute to mall. That saved us at least £30. Nearest dining place at mall - one of those nandos, Frankie and Benny places!! So I don't feel so bad.

northender Sun 01-Dec-13 22:36:41

Marking my place. Bad, bad spendy weekend here blush . Need to get back on track fast.

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 02-Dec-13 07:33:59

Oi, waiting PW is MINE! grin MINE, I SAY!

daydreams for a bit

Ahem. Posted on the old thread already, but had a spendy Dec 1st but most of it was Christmas pressies for family and did get some good deals so not too worried.

Am overpaying my CC at the moment, we had to put the move and the white goods for new house on it, have gotten it down from £3,500 to £1,600 since August, hoping to clear it by the end of Jan!

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 02-Dec-13 07:36:40

Also awesome blog/ e book recommendation, (I just read the whole blog on my phone last week then realised she does a free e-book of it) is A Story of Debt, it's about a girl who paid off $25,000 of credit card debt in 14 months, very inspiring!

jonbonjovismissus Mon 02-Dec-13 09:34:38

Morning everyone!
Thanks for the new thread claret, haven't been on for a while as weddings & honeymoons made frugality practically impossible but back on it now.........LSD yesterday, bought a dress for the work Xmas party from Warehouse but had birthday vouchers to pay for it so actually only cost £3 of my own money.
£60 back from selling old books & DVDs on ebay.........

Possiblyorange Mon 02-Dec-13 10:56:33

Morning!

Am feeling cross this morning as I had tomorrow set aside for eBaying stuff, and have just realised I have two meetings so won't be able to do it. Am now trying to work double-fast to make more time today so I can do it.

Actually started my Christmas shopping yesterday - bought the DCs some money boxes on eBay. Luckily we're only buying for immediate family's children this year, not adults, so not too many presents to stress over, and I might even do homemade ones for some of them.

ilovepicnmix Mon 02-Dec-13 15:36:45

£3.90 on bus travel. DS's first time on a bus incredibly. Had to go to the dentist in the city centre and decided to go no pram as logistically easier once at actual dentist. Ended up then spending £4.55 in pret which I'm annoyed about but it was all bad planning really. Anyway that spend then enabled us to stay in town and go to the art gallery, which has a space for children, and then a walk round the German market. All in all a very civilised few hours.

I realise being frugal is going to get harder and harder the older DS gets and the 'i want. ...' starts. A go on the carousel was £2.50!!

WaitingForPeterWimsey Mon 02-Dec-13 15:56:23

Glad to see how many people are also keen on Peter!! blush

Ilove, I totally agree about the age of dc - it's easy at the moment for us as DS is only 2, so doesn't mind/realise we have made serious spending cuts. He isn't asking about why we've stopped going to the soft play - for example. Though that does make me a bit hmm Silly really, because he gets to go to the little soft play, lovely playing the garden, lots of walks and we go to the playground often.

CremeEggThief Mon 02-Dec-13 16:10:37

FWIW, I think those of you with young DC will find it easier to resist pester power, as you can start as you mean. If they've never had it, they won't miss it.

So far, £1 on handmade tree ornaments at the Nursery; £1 at Tesco and 64p on a pretzel and a doughnut for Lidl. Tea will be chips from the chippy later, as I'm feeling a bit grotty. I should do the weekly shop later today, but we can get by until tomorrow. So, £2.64 so far.

Possiblyorange Mon 02-Dec-13 17:08:30

I am worried the computer game nagging will start this Christmas as the DC's slightly older cousins will be there and they have handheld games consoles (no idea which ones they are as I am clueless about such things!).

Spent a reasonable amount today, but nothing out of budget so am trying not to be stressed about it, despite making no progress towards huge end-of-Dec target in the last day or two.

Turnoffthelights Mon 02-Dec-13 17:44:32

£9.37 in Aldi. Just going to shop every few days rather than weekly to keep within £200 budget for the month.

Good news - extra pay had not been paid, will get double extra at end of December!

3frugalthings: just got inventive with a tin of cod roe (one of the randoms from my mum's cupboard) and have made a lovely taramasalata to go with a cucumber lurking in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch; after deciding to check online banking every day to really feel in control of finances realised straight away that EDF had overcharged my DD by £177! Called earlier, all sorted and money refunded, phew!; have increased childcare voucher contribution for December so hopefully extra extra pay won't be totally eaten up with tax.

I have no idea who Lord Peter Wimsey is! Love a good read though so will be searching him out!

WaitingForPeterWimsey Mon 02-Dec-13 19:00:28

Turnoff, I suggest you start with Strong Poison, if you like old fashioned detective novels. Not the first one, but a good one. Then you can go back and read them in sequence. For the full credit crunch experience - in keeping with the thread spirit - you can get it from the library smile

claretandamberforever Mon 02-Dec-13 19:21:06

EDF had overcharged you by £177!!! That's outrageous.

Today's spends
£2.00 - lunch (bad habits surfacing)
£5.00 - new scarf
£4.26 - wrapping paper, money wallets, sellotape.

Turnoffthelights Mon 02-Dec-13 19:40:50

I know it is outrageous! All part of the watershed gas bill that got me on here in the first place, should now be sorted. I used to be really impressed with EDF because of their great customer service, answering the phone quickly etc but during this debacle they have been rubbish. Last two phone calls took 30 mins to answer!

Just had a little look on amazon at Strong Poison - looks fab! Better dust off my library card (I'm usually a book buyer so good reminder that there are libraries out there!)

£6 on a bodyshop facial massage tool
£7 on food, dh will pay me back.

Sending shoes back, too high & too tight. Free returns though.

Found out dh has a credit expert account on the joint account, he didn't realise because "I never check the joint".

I have added it up & he will paying it back into the joint. I am angry.

Possiblyorange Mon 02-Dec-13 20:10:44

Turnoff that's a hell of an extra payment to EDF! Glad you got it sorted out.

Artemis I've just been reading A Story of Debt. Was interesting, but slightly depressing as I can't imagine a time we will ever have the £ equivalent of $1,500-1,700 to put towards debt payment/savings ever in our entire lives!

I have to say I am feeling almost sick with stress about money at the moment, but in a determined effort to look on the bright side:
- My mum is visiting later this week and offered to pick me up some cheap cuts of meat from her (really good) butcher. She never lets me pay for it either, so it's even cheaper as far as I'm concerned!
- We have just realised the petrol bill will be smaller than usual this month as DH has two weeks off work for Christmas and we are only doing one trip to see family in that time so won't use much petrol. This slightly reduces the scary sum I need to make before end of Dec
- I have just received a not massive but larger than expected cheque for my birthday, so will spend half on a treat for me and put half towards essentials. Bit grim to do that with birthday money, but on the upside, it's a teeny bit less money that I need to earn this month, which is a treat in itself

Possiblyorange Mon 02-Dec-13 20:11:10

fluffy what is a credit expert account?

WaitingForPeterWimsey Mon 02-Dec-13 20:13:58

Credit expert allows you to keep an eye on your credit rating - for a price!!

Orange, I'm really sorry you are feeling so stressed about money. I presume you've already cut back all you can?

ilovepicnmix Mon 02-Dec-13 20:43:31

Oh possibly! Im so sorry to hear you're so stressed. Keep your chin up love. You're doing all you can x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now