Best way to budget please

(30 Posts)
Iamaslummymummy Thu 21-Nov-13 19:17:48

We've always been a two income household but now we are a no person working household.

Now we get

Four weekly
dla for me and my son
Child benefit
Tax credits

Bi weekly
Esa

Weekly
Carers allowance (dh claiming this)

The question is how do I budget best to meet the direct debits that go out mostly on the first of the month (including the sect management plan with step change that I've had to set up) . Carers allowance is used for weekly shopping. I've read on here about ynab but I don't Understand how it would work in my situation. Can you advise?

Mumof3teens Thu 28-Nov-13 22:25:01

YNAB currently on sale for £14.99 at Steam - until next week.

tribpot Thu 28-Nov-13 22:36:49

Yes, you can also just include the sum in the category name itself, i.e. 'Ocean-going Yacht Fund (£40 million)' - they're your categories so you can do what you like with them - and when you adjust your requirement for a yacht up or down you can rename the category to suit.

I do use notes as well, to remind me when annual expenses fall due, or if it's the specific amount you want to record against next month's category, you can add a note to the appropriate cell in the budget for when you're assigning funds.

tribpot Thu 28-Nov-13 22:37:21

Meant to say, hurrah for YNAB being on sale in Steam again. I will revive the YNABers' thread with the Steam instructions in.

Iamaslummymummy Fri 29-Nov-13 06:37:15

Yay. I was about to post that ynab was $30 black Friday but £14.99 sounds perfect

smile

stephiedaniel63 Wed 18-Dec-13 17:35:29

I was also pretty confused and disturbed with the budget management of my home. My husband advised me to go with the expense reporting software that he basically use for his official purpose. I started using the same in my home as well and saved a lot of amount on the go. Check out the link here - www.replicon.com/olp/expense-reports.aspx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now