Credit crunch crafting box for DS

(31 Posts)
BlackberrySeason Sat 16-Nov-13 07:38:09

Inspired by an Xmas thread on Xmas crafting boxes, I am making up a 'free' one for DS aged 2.5. My aim is not to put in anything I have to pay for!

About to do some googling for ideas on contents and then will post as I add things in! Starting with shapes cut out of fabric remnants and sweetie wrappers.

Please feel free to join me if you are up for making a free Xmas present! smile

serin Sun 08-Dec-13 18:13:49

Was going to say wallpaper samples but got beaten to it.

Some shops do fabric swatches for free.

Candle wax for 'batik'

Tinfoil sculptures.

Dried pasta, beans, lentils etc for collages (if he doesn't eat them)

sootythecat Mon 18-Nov-13 21:33:22

Blackberry I know you wanted free, but you can get all sorts of random crafty things very very cheap at local 'scrapstores', e.g. £1 for a large carrier bags worth. There are loads around the country, hopefully if you google you might find one near you. At my last one I picked up lots of picture frame mountings and out of date wound dressings, among other things!

BrownSauceSandwich Mon 18-Nov-13 20:33:29

Back atcha, blackberry... This has to be the coolest idea for a Christmas present! smile

BlackberrySeason Mon 18-Nov-13 20:13:47

Just loving all these greats ideas grin

And thank you Leopoldina. You have a great name btw!

Splatt34 Mon 18-Nov-13 12:39:24

On a similar vein to coco the ingredients for salt dough. not strictly free but how much does flour & salt cost

cocoplops Mon 18-Nov-13 11:58:48

Ooooh and another thing would be to look up recipes for homemade play dough. Then you can make up a little bag of flour, salt and maybe some glitter and then your dc can make it with you by adding the water, oil and food colouring. (One I've done is mixed on the hob). Then have fun modelling with the dough!

Another thing would be to have stuff to do paper mâché (newspaper and you can just use gloppy flour and water mix). And the top lid from a shoe box. Make up the paper maiche one day and let your dc just splodge the stuff on the lid in random piles and let it dry on the radiator. Paint it and then it can be a homemade landscape for whatever little figures you have at home.

cocoplops Mon 18-Nov-13 11:45:10

Other things which are 'free', although may get me frowned upon for suggesting, are the paint sample colour cards from DIY shops. Great for making collages in similar colours. And also the wooden stirrers from coffee shops (good for sticking paper figures to for a puppet show).

Leopoldina Mon 18-Nov-13 11:39:20

this is a completely brilliant thread.

Splatt34 Mon 18-Nov-13 11:36:33

Cotton wool for sticking and cotton buds for painting with!

BlackberrySeason Mon 18-Nov-13 07:08:26

Splatt, wallpaper samples are a great idea too - thank you!

Friend came over yesterday and I showed her the box so far - she couldn't believe it was a so nice and free!

BlackberrySeason Mon 18-Nov-13 07:07:20

Brown, those ideas are just inspired-thank you! Will raid hole punch and empty it into a little plastic bag and put that in. Sock puppet idea is just fab!! We have some wobbly eye stickers left over and I think he would love that!

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 17-Nov-13 20:25:01

Odd socks (seriously, who doesn't love a sock puppet?)
the "holes" out of a hole punch
Empty cotton reels
Corks from wine bottles
Anything with an interesting texture for crayon rubbings (coins, bark, shells)
If you have access to a printer, do some print outs of alphabets in various fonts and sizes (I know he's only little, but he might like to be able to "write" on his collages). You could also print out a few photos (on ordinary, cheap paper) of people, places and things he knows.

Splatt34 Sun 17-Nov-13 09:34:01

I raided the wallpaper section of our local DIY store for collage paper. (There were some great ones)

BlackberrySeason Sun 17-Nov-13 06:24:41

Souper - great idea about free magazine pages. At a toddler group we stuck pictures of clothes from catalogues and he really liked that.

souperb Sat 16-Nov-13 22:02:45

Shiny sweet wrappers
Tissue paper from packaging
Cut up bits of washing up sponge - for sponge painting
Scraps of wrapping paper
Interestingly coloured free magazine pages cut into squares for mosaics
Squared paper printed off internet

BlackberrySeason Sat 16-Nov-13 21:47:08

Thanks very much for all these ideas - I'm taking careful notes smile

I've started putting this together tonight and found some lovely old ties from pressies - posh colourful twine and lots of bright sweetie wrappers. Autumn leaves are in packed in a clear sandwich bag. DH said it looks so nice you wouldn't even know we are short of cash!!!

SavoyCabbage Sat 16-Nov-13 20:40:41

Pasta. You could ask for a handful from different people to get an assortment of shapes.

You could cut the ribbon loops for hangers out of clothes.

And yoghurt pots are great for keeping scraps and beads in and can be used as paint pots.

Old CD's scraps of tin foil, egg boxes, shredded paper.

Keep any clear plastic packaging to stick things to.

elfycat Sat 16-Nov-13 19:36:51

Jigsaw pieces (where some are missing), painted and glued onto card and then use your imagination if they are odd shaped, or Mister Maker made fish with open mouth and tail (in bit) and 2 fins (out bits).

Beads from broken plastic necklaces (I know you said no spend but I got a bag of broken jewelery bits for crafting from a charity shop for next to nothing)

BlackberrySeason Sat 16-Nov-13 19:27:13

I don't even know what that is, trinity! Will google!

Thanks v much for all ideas!

trinity0097 Sat 16-Nov-13 18:58:15

Have you got a materials bank near you?

jerryfudd Sat 16-Nov-13 18:41:49

Cardboard tubes from loo roll, tin foil, cling film etc

HSMMaCM Sat 16-Nov-13 18:34:20

Sticks are good for lots of things. Cardboard boxes from food packaging.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 16-Nov-13 18:29:37

Polystyrene packaging chips.

Cereal boxes are excellent for building, ditto loo roll tubes.

If you have some pinking shears you can cut out pictures eg from cards to make interesting bits to use. Smilarly, if you alreDy have a shaped hole punch you can create little shapes (including out of foil)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now