Credit crunch crafting box for DS

(31 Posts)
BlackberrySeason Sat 16-Nov-13 07:38:09

Inspired by an Xmas thread on Xmas crafting boxes, I am making up a 'free' one for DS aged 2.5. My aim is not to put in anything I have to pay for!

About to do some googling for ideas on contents and then will post as I add things in! Starting with shapes cut out of fabric remnants and sweetie wrappers.

Please feel free to join me if you are up for making a free Xmas present! smile

cocoplops Mon 18-Nov-13 11:58:48

Ooooh and another thing would be to look up recipes for homemade play dough. Then you can make up a little bag of flour, salt and maybe some glitter and then your dc can make it with you by adding the water, oil and food colouring. (One I've done is mixed on the hob). Then have fun modelling with the dough!

Another thing would be to have stuff to do paper mâché (newspaper and you can just use gloppy flour and water mix). And the top lid from a shoe box. Make up the paper maiche one day and let your dc just splodge the stuff on the lid in random piles and let it dry on the radiator. Paint it and then it can be a homemade landscape for whatever little figures you have at home.

Splatt34 Mon 18-Nov-13 12:39:24

On a similar vein to coco the ingredients for salt dough. not strictly free but how much does flour & salt cost

BlackberrySeason Mon 18-Nov-13 20:13:47

Just loving all these greats ideas grin

And thank you Leopoldina. You have a great name btw!

BrownSauceSandwich Mon 18-Nov-13 20:33:29

Back atcha, blackberry... This has to be the coolest idea for a Christmas present! smile

sootythecat Mon 18-Nov-13 21:33:22

Blackberry I know you wanted free, but you can get all sorts of random crafty things very very cheap at local 'scrapstores', e.g. £1 for a large carrier bags worth. There are loads around the country, hopefully if you google you might find one near you. At my last one I picked up lots of picture frame mountings and out of date wound dressings, among other things!

serin Sun 08-Dec-13 18:13:49

Was going to say wallpaper samples but got beaten to it.

Some shops do fabric swatches for free.

Candle wax for 'batik'

Tinfoil sculptures.

Dried pasta, beans, lentils etc for collages (if he doesn't eat them)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now