So what is Electricity meant to cost?

(16 Posts)
simba3 Fri 15-Nov-13 22:25:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 13-Nov-13 07:13:51

Monitor use for a 24h period, then the next period switch the tank off overnight & heat it for half an hour during the day instead.

See which uses less units. I used to do this when I was on E10 otherwise the hot water heated for 10h a day heating and the thermostat kicking in then heating again.

Make sure you have plenty of insulation around the tank and the pipes, it shouldn't be sub tropical in there.

Cindy34 Tue 12-Nov-13 23:02:49

I would enter meter readings monthly. Try to stop estimated bills.

Eco7 I find has higher unit prices for daytime but night rates are lower. Set storage heaters to only heat up enough for what you expect to need the following day (tricky). Mine at set on level 1.5 (out of 5) on the input dial at the moment, will increase as it gets colder. Experiment with the settings. Do you have boost on them? That will use day rate elec, so you want to avoid long periods of boost but it can help if you need a little extra heat.

Eco7 I find can use units every day even without things being on... i have a mechanical timer in the electric box, which I think is what is using the power. Nothing can be done about that but worth you checking what you have and if it uses any elec (though can only check that in summer when you are not using eco7).

specialsubject Tue 12-Nov-13 22:23:24

are you on the right tariff for storage heaters? Economy 7 is a start but you may be able to get more cheap hours.

Fab41 Tue 12-Nov-13 18:33:23

We have a two bed house with three of us living here. All electric, storage heater in living room and panel heater in hallway. Monthly we pay £63.
House is well insulated though, cavity walls done and new windows and doors.

LaLaDeeDeeDoo Tue 12-Nov-13 18:22:59

Ps we just did a meter reading, entered online and bill now £72 ...

Work that out!

LaLaDeeDeeDoo Tue 12-Nov-13 18:22:15

Hot water on the timer, were on economy 7 so it's on overnight.

If you have a thermostatic tap, that will limit the maximum temp regardless of what the tank is set at. Very much more energy efficient to set it to 60 than to 70.

If you only have quick showers, then a shower will probably use less electricity than a bath. Do you have your hot water on all the time?

LaLaDeeDeeDoo Tue 12-Nov-13 16:00:45

Ahh! Well I think mine is higher at my request!!!
I like a hot bath, and as there is hot water anyway I try to do that than use the elcectric shower.

I love a hot bath though, and how hot it's set to, I can#t quite remember, but I wanted it up higher!

Good idea to check.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 12-Nov-13 15:36:00

Have you checked the hot water tanks not set to 70? You can turn them down to 60.

LaLaDeeDeeDoo Tue 12-Nov-13 15:12:52

HMMM well as we dont pay much in gas that makes it a little more reasonable. But still.

prettymess Tue 12-Nov-13 13:07:18

Yes, gas is also about £60 a month as our heating runs on that.

LaLaDeeDeeDoo Tue 12-Nov-13 13:05:01

One thing to add is the gas bill is £15 a quarter as the only thing that runs on gas is the cooker.

So I wonder if your gas bill is higher than mine?

LaLaDeeDeeDoo Tue 12-Nov-13 13:01:15

!!! blimey.
Thanks for reply.

I'll have a look at the link.

prettymess Tue 12-Nov-13 12:58:28

Seems high for a 2 bed flat if I compare it to our £60 a month in a 3 bed semi with 4 people living in it.

this thread is good for tips on how to reduce electricity use.

LaLaDeeDeeDoo Tue 12-Nov-13 12:36:23

DH and I have a 2 bed flat, on the small side, only the cooker is on gas the rest leccy.

No kids, storage heaters though, etc.
Feel free to ask away to get a better picture, bill is £84 a month, does that seem average or high?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now