November Numbercrunchers *blows the budgeteering bugle*

(481 Posts)
claretandamberforever Thu 31-Oct-13 19:40:23

In here please.

Feel free to post a daily spending diary, to ask for advice or just for a general money moan.

AdoraBell Mon 02-Dec-13 22:44:15

So my Two weeks of school runs while DH was away was £37.33 in road tolls.

Weekend just gone I Spent
£13 CD Xmas gift
£12 nail varnish set Xmas gift
£46 supermarket
£77 drama costume, can be used again (DD1 is a goddessgrin )
£30 - ish on end of year party outfits for them, again can be used afterwards
£6 roads
£40 -ish on Xmas gifts from DDs To DH
£50 petróleo
£7 under wear

Today

£40 supermarket, water filtros, dog's food, frozen fruit and ceral bars for DH
£1.20 roads
£4 greengrocer's

If I don't update for a while it's because I am hiding.

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 02-Dec-13 07:30:50

Oh - on the headlice issue - my mum always used Neem oil conditioner, combed them out. It smells like a nuclear version of tea-tree oil, and is totally natural, but seems to kill adults and help remove the eggs. Lice are a total PITA though, I was the eldest of 5 kids living at home (9 in total with my half brothers and sisters who lived with my Dad!) and with so many younger sisters we all had lice several times. I had waist length hair too, grim.

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 02-Dec-13 07:28:32

Spendy day yesterday but it was in a good cause - I got lots more Christmas presents for family (best bit was using a Waterstones voucher I already had to get 3 books, there was a deal on, so only had to add £2.70 and that's three people dealt with once I add chocolate/home-made fudge!)

I also bought ingredients to make cookies for a bake sale - I won't re-imburse myself as it is for charity, so the cost of the ingredients is my donation. Made 57 double choc chip cookies, hoping to make £25 from them for a local childrens' hospice.

Should be NSD today as I am at work from 0830-11pm.

AdoraBell Sun 01-Dec-13 17:19:13

Claret I always use vinegar, any old cheap rubbish, and olive oil, again cheap, for nits/Lice. Can’t Get headrin here and DD2 is alérgico To everything. Oil kills the live ones and vinegar undoes the glue for the eggs. If you do the vinegar, típ head back To en sure it doesn't run into the eyes, towel on shoulders, soak each hair -I use cotton wool- leave 30 mins, comb through and rinse.

Hedrin is best headlice treatment n can be got on prescription.

CremeEggThief Sat 30-Nov-13 22:28:46

Whoops! £36.17. Every little helps!

ilovepicnmix Sat 30-Nov-13 20:14:45

Yesterday I spent £40 on petrol and a couple of quid in Tesco. Today I got my hair done which is a small fortune but budgeted for. I used some of my birthday vouchers and got perfume from m&s. If I was rich id have hundreds of perfumes. Then I spent some more birthday vouchers and got DS a jumper and me a onesie and nice shampoo/conditioner from asda. It reminded me how nice it is to buy things that aren't essentials. Sob. Tomorrow will be Aldi shop.

NK5BM3 Sat 30-Nov-13 19:37:27

Haven't checked in for a long time even though I've read most posts. This is mostly because of the fact that I've had two major services for both cars which costed £600+ shock and I've travelled for work. Things have gotten out of control. Good news is dh managed to contribute a significant amount to the family account so it wasn't too bad.

Not started Christmas shopping yet either. Help!
Onwards and upwards.

CremeEggThief Sat 30-Nov-13 18:31:38

Quite a spendy day, as out and about all day. £8.30 on travel; £6.75 on lunch out and a snack later on; and £18.12 on Christmas decorations and my last two Christmas presents. Also gave DS his pocket money (£3). So, £40.37 in total.

Possiblyorange Sat 30-Nov-13 17:25:50

NSD for me due to not leaving the house, but DH spent some on cheese and bread in town at the German market. Was only a few quid though, so will forgive him. grin

Need to reconcile my accounts tonight, then can jump over onto the Dec thread.

Nsd

claretandamberforever Sat 30-Nov-13 13:27:38

Today's spends:
£13.00 - that I owe my son!
£ 7.00 - for me on some foundation
£ 7.00 - more bloody nit lotion. The stuff I bought yesterday did nothing for me although DS1 is clear I think.
£41.30 - grocery shopping at Tesco
£45.10 - grocery shopping at Farmfoods
£ unknown amount on haircuts for the menfolk of the house
£20.00 - DS put some more petrol in yesterday
£49.98 on Christmas presents (chocolate and alcohol for 8 people out of the 25 I have to buy for).

Did buy some stuff from Tesco which I didn't need as they had some extra points / money off. (like £1 off mince which had been £3) so thought I might as well get some, and 85 points on pepsi so got 16 cans for £4. In Farmfoods last night I bought enough 'main' meal stuff for 9 or 10 days.

Total spent on Xmas stuff so far £136.97.

Number of people I am putting money in a card for...9...so need to pick up some money wallets from the pound shop

Number of people still to buy for...7 + my 2 sons.

De-nitted AGAIN and touch wood so far there's been no itching since I dried my hair. Fookin orrible things.

ArtemisatBrauron Sat 30-Nov-13 10:27:14

£13 spend - £6.95 on a box of chocs to thank the people who had me to dinner last night and the rest on lunch bits as I am away with work from 12.20 and they never remember to provide pack lunch for people with allergies.

Possiblyorange Sat 30-Nov-13 07:37:33

Oh, if anyone wants to do homemade gifts for children, I had big success a couple of years ago with homemade marshmallows and dry cookie ingredients layered in a jar with a nice ribbon and the instructions and a (sainsbury's basics 99p) wooden spoon tied on. I always struggle for cheap gift ideas for kids that aren't tat and I was pleased with those.

Thatsinteresting Sat 30-Nov-13 07:02:59

Turnoff I believe there's a list on MSE but I'd include house/car insurance, small holiday fund for camping or <shhh> The Sun deals, and little slush fund so you've got some spare cash if something breaks. Hope you're feeling better soon, there's a lot of that going about right now.

We still have another 2 weeks until payday so I suspect this weekend will be lots of trips to the park with a flask of coffee. So glad my dc are still young enough to consider this a good day out.

I plan to do some cooking later. I've got some brown bananas that need turning into cake and I need to make some chutney for Christmas gifts. I'm not seeing the recipients until the New year so hopefully I've just about got enough time for it to mature.

AdoraBell Sat 30-Nov-13 03:40:03

Did some shopping Today , christmas gifts and stocking fillers, will update actual money Spent Tomorrow.

Turnoffthe light hope you all recover quickly.

CremeEggThief Fri 29-Nov-13 21:45:15

Get well soon, turnoffthelights and family.

CremeEggThief Fri 29-Nov-13 21:44:23

£5.90 on travel for me and DS; £1.74 at Tesco and £3.75 on a latte and a cake in a naice cafe. So, £11.39 altogether.

Have a good weekend, everyone smile.

Turnoffthelights Fri 29-Nov-13 20:58:28

artemis work meeting in the pub!? Great idea!

£383 nursery bill. Particularly high as it includes extra hours for November and December as I've taken on extra hours at work.

3frugalthings: paid nursery bill much earlier than usual as I want the money to be accounted for at the beginning of December (same idea as getting all DDs in line at beginning of month); bought my dad 6 month magazine gift subscription rather than a year (sorry dad!); am starting to compile list of all annual one off expenditures so I can plan in saving for these monthly, so far I've got MOT, tax, NT membership, boiler service, daughter's birthday and Christmas - can you help me think of any others?!

Cheap weekend planned - we've all got tummy bugs blush

Possiblyorange Fri 29-Nov-13 20:53:04

I haven't reconciled this month yet (will wait till Mon in case I have missed any transactions that don't clear till then), but I think I'm going to come in ever so slightly under budget for November, which is v satisfying. I'm getting on with YNAB budgeting software really well, it really helps.

Really wish I'd taken better control of the budgets earlier this year, but can't change the past so just determinedly focusing on continuing to limp towards being more flush.

Online shop claret today is good as black Friday n lots deals around.

We had take away tonight but was a pre holiday treat we have a wknd off n rather than going away we r doing some cheap days out n having couple days to ourselves whilst toddler goes to nursery got day trip to local children theme/fun park booked as my 3yr old is less than 95cm he is free n as a weekday its cheap rate £6 an adult n then £4.75 for Santa visit for toddler so £16.75 for day out n cheaper than Thomas land last yr at £45 n shite xmas gift.

Also got Santa at garden center booked groupon deal £6 includes child Santa visit n 2 adult hot drinks

off to pantomime tomorrow all paid for just petrol parking in lunch

hoping for a dry wk ahead

claretandamberforever Fri 29-Nov-13 18:33:46

LOL, I know exactly what you mean. I had next year's lightbulb moment 2 months early (or was it this year's 10 months late???). I've been a bit lax on this thread but I have been keeping my spreadsheet up to date however I will definitely try and keep a spending diary through December. Am just trying to write out my Xmas list it's awful. I've got to bring it in at £200 for 20 people and I get all claustrophobic in crowds, work full time and there's only 4 weekends left to Xmas (sob). Hopefully I can get most of the stuff in the supermarket

Wait till you see January's thread, it's always packed in jan.

claretandamberforever Fri 29-Nov-13 18:04:11

PS - come on, we need to get this thread to 20 pages to beat the October thread

claretandamberforever Fri 29-Nov-13 18:03:44

Wow

I can't believe what a short month November seemed to be! In total I have £156 available to carry forward into December, and £273 in a holding account ready to pay towards my credit card bill. (I bought some shopping and petrol on my Tesco card for the points).

Total groceries for November was £293.03 (£16 less than last month) out of a £350 budget, and petrol was £201.81 (£122 less than last month) out of a £295 budget (of which £40 was DH's work related). I used very little petrol this month which was a surprise but very welcome.

Budget for the next month is....
Petrol: £255
Food: £350
Everything Else: £342.59

Also started a savings account up for DS2's Yr6 school trip to the Dales which will need to be paid in May.

Today's spends
£20.00 - Yr6 school trip
£2.60 - Lunch (my once a month treat)
£11.73 - nit lotion (GRRRRR I would have expected by now at the grand old age of 10 he'd have stopped bringing headlice home)

I don't actually have anything to "pay out" of December wage (other than Xmas) but end of January will be DH's road tax.

New thread here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/1925884-December-debt-destroying-blows-the-budgeteering-bugle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now