November Numbercrunchers *blows the budgeteering bugle*

(481 Posts)
claretandamberforever Thu 31-Oct-13 19:40:23

In here please.

Feel free to post a daily spending diary, to ask for advice or just for a general money moan.

prettymess Fri 01-Nov-13 11:55:56

As everyone always goes on about it, I didn't automatically renew our home insurance when the quote came this morning. I went and compared! I went with a different provider and the same amount of cover: £220 saved! Whoa!

Going to do the same with car insurance next month!

prettymess Fri 01-Nov-13 11:56:43

I also paid in a lump sum so no ongoing cost during the year.

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 01-Nov-13 11:59:53

We got a letter about renewing our car insurance, found I could get it cheaper, called up to cancel, and my current insurance provider matched the new price, so I didn't have to deal with the hassle of switching and got it cheaper than they were quoting!

TheBitchesOfWeestick Fri 01-Nov-13 12:17:01

<slinks back in>

The less said about October, the better hmm

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 01-Nov-13 13:06:51

Don't forget to go via topcashback for insurances.

KinkyDorito Fri 01-Nov-13 15:18:41

TheBitches I know that feeling... It was a shame that November's money happened in October. It's going to make for an interesting month ahead. Damn Amazon and it's wily temptations.

MrsWolowitz Fri 01-Nov-13 15:24:37

Can I join?

I've got £80 to last 2 weeks shock

Got an appointment at the bank next week to go through accounts and direct debits etc and phoned Sky last night to cancel but got a brilliant deal from them saving £25 a month so I'm really pleased with that as I didn't really want to leave them as I get everything from them, broadband, phone and TV.

I cancelled a charity subscription (which I feel terrible about), my laptop insurance and the cat's pet insurance but I'm regretting that one. Think I might re-instate it.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 01-Nov-13 15:59:03

I'd reinstate the cat insurance or get a cheaper provider. You never know what trouble they are going to get themselves into.

itsonlysubterfuge instead of tesco could you use lidl or aldi? I halved my shopping bill when I started using Aldi 3 years ago. Lets say a £90 shop cost you £60 in aldi, you'd save £120 compared to Tesco in November. Which kinda makes £45 look a bit, well, paltry. Plus Aldi stollen is the dogs naughty bits & much cheaper than supermarket stollen. Not lidl stollen though.

Anyhow, NSD here plus I've invoiced for overdue work. I was a bit skint after moving so I couldn't afford a toner cartridge until one came up on eBay. I'm all up to date now, thank heavens.

CremeEggThief Fri 01-Nov-13 16:08:12

Found you all! smile

Just marking my place in the shiny new thread, as we're having a spendy few days in London until Sunday.

TheBitchesOfWeestick Fri 01-Nov-13 16:57:07

MrsW definitely reinstate pet insurance. My old boy (RIP) cost us thousands in the last few years of his life, but we were able to claim quite a chunk of it back. I would have cried even more if we'd been so much out of pocket for good.

So, using a bit of PMA headology on myself: using the car so much less since DS started school is definitely saving us money - we didn't even get through a full tank of diesel last month. The extra insulation measures DH has put in place (chimney sheep, back door lining) are making a good difference to our drafty terrace house. And I will hopefully be bringing in a bit of money from this month should be doing some work right now actually, tsk tsk.

I'm going to trial a new housekeeping method this month, see if it makes a difference. We've agreed a food budget of £100 a week, so each week I will withdraw that amount in cash and go to Lidl with the aim of spending as much under that as possible. Anything left goes into an envelope as that week's housekeeping money, and if we want extras like wine etc. we buy them out of that. Any cash left in the envelope at the end of the month goes into savings.

I did last week's shop adding everything up on my phone as I went round and it helped to curb any impulse buys, so I'm hoping that the physical presence of cash will be another curb. It's too easy to spend invisible money on a debit card.

ArtemisatBrauron Fri 01-Nov-13 18:13:59

Had a spendy day - it's the last 2 days off work until 14th Dec for me, so I am getting stuff done around the house, stockpiling tea/coffee/soya milk etc so I don't run out in the next 2-3 weeks.

I also bought a wicker hamper from a charity shop and plan to buy 1-2 items for Christmas period each week and put them in, long-lasting things like nice chocolate, christmas pudding, crackers etc, then in the week of Christmas I'll buy the fresh stuff. DH and I are going to make the hamper a yearly tradition and start filling it earlier in the year with chutneys, jams etc.

ilovepicnmix Fri 01-Nov-13 19:13:53

Welcome new and fellow frugaleers!

Today I spent £3 odd in b&m on tuna, coconut milk, packet of sweets and a can on pop.

Should be a relatively cheap weekend and I might even spend some of my birthday vouchers. This last six months I have realised that I really don't need new clothes very frequently. Now I have vouchers I don't know what to get! I could do with a few tops for work but I might save the rest till spring. Check me out smile

Oh! I discovered today that I have been overpaying nursery (yippee) so this month I can pay £50 less than I have been and my direct debit will always be £20 less each month. A very pleasant mistake to discover.

prettymess Fri 01-Nov-13 19:40:53

Also going to cancel my Weight Watchers monthly pass. I've lost three stone with it and I know what to do, how it works and got all the tools. The meetings are great, but I hardly ever get to go now because of work. I can always pay as I go. Anyway, saving for that is: £257.40 a year. I'm at nearly £500 saved in one day.

We are very careful with phones, both landline and mobiles. We track our use and DH and I have sim only contracts of £7 a month. We try to stick within our data/mins/text allowances and rarely go over the £7. Voicemail is where any spend tends to go.

I had a Waitrose delivery today and the bloke told me that if I order (within the next month I think) on Mon, Tue or Wed I will get a £10 John Lewis voucher every time. Seems to be in addition to other vouchers they've been advertising about festive shops.

AdoraBell Fri 01-Nov-13 21:05:09

DH spent about 10 pounds on meat and offal for the dogs.

I haven't spent anything. See, all headology but it makes me feel better, so I'm sticking to it.

Thatsinteresting Fri 01-Nov-13 21:25:23

Hello All. One more week until payday when November begins for us. I've checked our account and both the new and old energy suppliers have collected a DD so I need to ring the old supplier tomorrow to find out why and we really will be limping to payday. Thankfully I only need some milk and fruit so we'll be ok but I can't justify any extras.

MrsW Please get insurance for your cat. We spent thousands on our pet as we just wanted her well. It cost us a lot even with insurance but without it we would have had no choice but to have her put down which would have been devastating.

Oh help Look at Giffgaff. We don't use our phones as much as you but they have some good deals. My dh only spends £5 a month as that gives him 300 texts and 60mins but for every minute someone calls him he gets a free minute so he never runs out. He also gets some data but his phone is so old it doesn't even have colour so he can't use it.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Nov-13 17:29:53

£30 on a dog bed for the cat. He's too big for a cat bed.

£2 given to the charity collector on the door at pets at home.

£60 cashback came through so I can hopefully order my spin dryer soon.

KinkyDorito Sat 02-Nov-13 17:36:36

NSD. I think this is the first Saturday I've managed to not spend money EVER. <polishes halo>

ilovepicnmix Sat 02-Nov-13 18:45:56

I've spent a fortune today. Just short of £50 in sainbury's, £26 in asda, £2.49 in Wilkinsons and £25 on petrol. I do feel like I got quite a lot though including sleeping bag and vests for DS, some wee stocking fillers, big tub of chocs and a fair bit of meat. I finally managed to defrost my freezer so tomorrow I'm making soup and curry. DS is with his dad tonight so it's pizza and picnmix for me tonight!

Badvoc Sat 02-Nov-13 19:27:28

Ok.
All Xmas gifts bought.
Panto trips, school trips paid for.
Just car tax and mot in dec (ouch)
Tumble dryer just broke but it's under warranty thank god.
Does anyone know if you can cancel a monthly NHS pre payment cert?
I took one out 3 months ago but have now been taken off the meds....what can I do?
Am planning on baking tomorrow.
Have drawn out ds1s dinner money for the month.
Anyone have any tips for slow cooker recipes? I have one -- but have never used it-- blush

MrsWolowitz Sat 02-Nov-13 19:42:03

I spent £10 on fuel and £1.60 on my lunch. (I didn't have anything I could take in at home).

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Nov-13 19:47:04

Badvoc, speak to your pharmacist. They'll know.

Badvoc Sat 02-Nov-13 19:53:09

Thanks fluffy I will.
Mrsw...hope things pick up for you this month x
I am hoping to do lots of Xmas baking, making paper chains, mince pies etc once the kids break up from school for Xmas. I already have the chains, the gingerbread house (ikea, what a bargain!) so it shouldn't cost much.

MrsWOLF1 Sat 02-Nov-13 22:40:04

Badvoc yes you can I did it a year ago when I was taken off meds back on them now so started a new monthly dd and got my new card

AdoraBell Sun 03-Nov-13 00:06:02

MrsW don't feel bad about cancelling the charity DD. It makes so sense To give what you can't afford and I'm sure you will Go back To supporting them when you can afford To again. And YY To reínstating the cat's insurance.

NSD here, currently just a tad peed off so will catch up properly later. Nothing major, don't worrysmile.

hannahem Sun 03-Nov-13 07:48:32

Hi, I'm joining in too! Have been lurking for ages but have a serious need to budget as it I've found out I'm at risk of redundancy sad. We need to seriously save some money as we've slipped badly over the last few months. On the plus side I have bought a lot of Christmas presents already having avidly followed the Christmas bargain threads!

So far the weekend has been quite cheap, today will be a NSD but tomorrow is bound to be spendthrift as the car is going in for its MOT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now