Cash for clothes?

(18 Posts)
MrsWhirling Thu 31-Oct-13 09:57:33

Has anyone used one of these company's that accept you unwanted clothes/shoes and pay by the weight?

I have a ton of stuff that I will never get round to Ebaying!

Missmadlyinlust Thu 31-Oct-13 11:51:19

I personally wouldn't bother. I tried this and they wanted everything to be clean, pressed and no showing any sign of wear. All they were paying was £5 per bin bag. I took it to the local charity shop where it was kindly accepted.

JustAnotherFucker Thu 31-Oct-13 11:55:15

I just take any old crap up in bags and get 50p per kilo.

They don't even look in the bags, just ask if its clothing or bedding etc.

We do it instead of bag2school as its more convenient. People can bring things instead of a set date and I take it up when our PTA cupboard is full smile

Its this place we use

JustAnotherFucker Thu 31-Oct-13 11:55:46

bring things into school

chanie44 Fri 01-Nov-13 14:05:36

I did it.

I took two bin bags of clothes and got £3.80 - it should have been £3.75, but she didn't have 5p change...

These places tend to pay by the kilo, so if you have heavy items like coats and shoes that will bump up the total, but baby clothes don't weight anything.

SheldonsMeeMaw Fri 01-Nov-13 14:13:02

I took a few fairly heavy bin bags to our nearest place and got £20 for them. Most of the stuff was fairly good nick but maybe not quite good enough for charity.

I used to use Bags 2 School but I have started using cash 4 clothes and keeping the money for myself blush

They do rip open bags but only take a glance at the clothes. As someone said up there ^, the heavier the better.

superbagpuss Sat 02-Nov-13 07:02:29

we took it to a local place, mainly kids clothes from supermarkets and my old workwear so nothing that cost a lot to start with

didn't get much, but better than nothing and got stuff out of the house

wholenewwoman Sat 02-Nov-13 16:25:23

I have just done this and got just under £40. Lots of old girls clothes and some of mine. Needed to clear out and it's better than nothing for them.
Took the childrens toys to the charity shop.

Yonididnaedaethat Sat 02-Nov-13 16:42:12

I got £7.20 for 4 black bags at my local Cash for Clothes shop, they didn't take school uniform and most of the shoes were returned due to missing laces or holes in them.

2kidsintow Sat 09-Nov-13 21:31:58

I got £7.50 this week for 4 bin bags of clothes/shoes/bedding.
They pay quite a low rate compared to others, but were the closest (so least £ spent on petrol) and aren't fussy at all. They take clothes, bedding (not duvets), shoes, bags etc. They don't look in the bags either.

Better than chucking into landfill or down to the charity shops in my town as they don't seem to bother with children's clothes at all. They never sell any in store and must just send all the rest to be made into rags.

1974rach Mon 11-Nov-13 10:47:57

I've been to our cash for clothes place a couple of times. I tend to take the stuff I don't think will be any good for charity shops.

You don't get much cash, but we just chuck ours in the big vodka bottle, all comes in handy at Christmas!

confusedofengland Mon 11-Nov-13 12:36:10

If you have a Nectar card, you can register with Oxfam. For this you get 200 Nectar points. They then send you some labels to attach to black bags of clothes you wish to donate to them. Then, for every £1 raised by your items, you get (I think) 4 Nectar points. So, this way, you are donating to charity and gaining Nectar points!

ThePinkOcelot Mon 11-Nov-13 21:28:18

I got £35 once, but I had had a good old clear out and took loads of bags. My friend went and got £18. She was really disappointed because she said she would have made loads more on ebay. I can't be arsed with ebay anymore tbh.

BlueMonday17 Sun 17-Nov-13 00:21:18

Companies vary widely - some near us check for holes etc, others don't; some only give you cash for whole kilos, others give you exact weight cash (eg at 50p a kilo one company might give you only 50 p if you give them a 1.5kg bag while next door they'd give you 75p for the same weight).

Also worth checking prices and whether they take household textiles (curtains, towels etc) and if they offer a better price for any brand new clothes (my sis did surprisingly well recently with loads of boxed, brand new tights found in a cupboard when clearing out our gran's house).

Good luck!

kafkesque Fri 22-Nov-13 03:00:23

Rats!

I have just taken seven very heavy bin bags to the local recycling council tip.

Is there a cash 4 clothes near Aylesbury/Tring way?

bellablot Fri 22-Nov-13 03:17:08

I hope you mean a tonne of clothes in a literal sense as this is the only way to earn a couple of quid, you may get 70p a kilo if your lucky. Can you ebay them?

cestlavielife Fri 22-Nov-13 14:16:11

clohesforcash.com collect by courir and i got about £15 for a large bag full they send you a bag to fill...

cestlavielife Fri 22-Nov-13 14:17:39

clothesforcash.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now