out2lunch Tue 22-Oct-13 17:20:53

that's it

thank you

HelpfulChap Tue 22-Oct-13 17:22:56

Try Uswitch?

http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/?homepage=new

out2lunch Tue 22-Oct-13 21:20:44

thank you helpful will do

anyone who has saved ££££££££££s like to recommend?

KitWillDoodle Wed 23-Oct-13 16:13:07

Hi there, I'm looking to do the same, I switched to Atlantic a couple of years ago not realising they are part of Southern Electric and have now received notification of their 10% price increase which I think is disgraceful. To add insult to injury I let someone in to read the meters not long ago and have just received a bill from them for Gas and Electricity for an extra £400. Honestly, we have been so careful with our fuel usage in the last year, turning everything off at the socket, unplugging kettle, microwave etc., and I just don't know what more we can do. I said to my husband I give up, it now just feels like a cruel joke! Anyway, sorry for ranting, I looked on Money Saving Expert and they have some good tools on there for getting an instant comparison. There was another company that would be £300 or so cheaper for me, but there was even a warning on the site to say that the company had received bad feedback and to do some research. All very useful! Good luck.

out2lunch Wed 23-Oct-13 18:02:12

argh feel for you kit its so frustrating isn't it?
I fear they may all be as bad as each other

thanks for replying

Fluffy40 Wed 23-Oct-13 18:17:04

Worth trying googling the energy shop, it's really easy to use, I have just saved 180 pounds by going to Scottish power.

MadeOfStarDust Thu 24-Oct-13 13:34:12

be careful - I have met so many people whohave switched only to find their direct debits get increased to what they were paying - or MORE 3or 4 months down the line... they hook you - then reel you in.....

We went with an online tariff with british gas because with the dual fuel discount, online discount and direct debit discount it meant we saved money overall - but they are all much the same right now.....

out2lunch Thu 24-Oct-13 16:11:04

thank you both

I had my suspicions that this might be the case stardust - will try the energy shop but will tread carefully

gretagrape Fri 25-Oct-13 16:04:02

I always ignore what they tell me I can save because they usually base it on what they assume you will use. I only look at what their actual charges are per kwh + any standing charges, then compare directly with my current supplier.

bruffin Fri 25-Oct-13 16:21:52

On watchdog the other night they investigated for 3 people and Scottish Power came out best. We have been with SP for years and whenever someone tries to get us to swap i just mention SP and they usually go quiet and go away.

whowherewhen Fri 25-Oct-13 16:28:28

I think it's a waste of time changing because they all end up charging basically the same. One might look cheaper now but sure enough it will be going up in line with the others - it's a mugs game to bother

MirandaWest Fri 25-Oct-13 16:30:36

If you can get some cash back for switching its worth it I think. I'm with first utility who get terrible reviews but have been fine for me. Used a comparison site recently who said they couldn't find me anything cheaper so I'll stay where I am for the moment I think.

bruffin Fri 25-Oct-13 17:12:00

Scottish power has always been cheaper whowherewhen.We have never been able to find a better deal.

out2lunch Fri 25-Oct-13 17:25:51

more to think about thanks everyone smile

Skimty Fri 25-Oct-13 18:14:34

Ecotricity are reducing their prices this year! The also claim to be cheaper than the big six and because they have just one tariff it's all very clear plus you can use the tumble dryer without feeling guilty!

DoBatsEatCats Sun 27-Oct-13 20:20:40

I've just switched to Ecotricity - don't know how it's going to pan out money-wise but I'm pleased with their customer service. You ring up and get a real human being who answers your questions rather than reading from a script like a robot!

Varya Sun 27-Oct-13 20:23:29

I am switching from Brit Gas to First Utility. Said to save a couple of hundred a year but we will see how true this is. BG are going to charge me £60 for leaving them! Spark was another supplier I considered.

AnneElliott Mon 28-Oct-13 17:40:50

I'm with utility warehouse and have saved a lot of cash with them.

Fluffy40 Mon 28-Oct-13 17:57:33

They are ok, but don't send accurate bills , They Won't amend a bill to your own readings

Littleredsquirrel Tue 29-Oct-13 21:38:36

I would also say be careful. It's so difficult to compare them since they all price slightly differently. We switched and then Npower put the direct debit up after a couple of months. Sure we haven't really saved anything.

specialsubject Wed 30-Oct-13 15:05:28

all that matters is unit price and standing charge. Your direct debit will reflect what you use.

So look at what you USE. If you are low users, go for a smaller standing charge ( because you can't reduce that) and a higher unit rate. If you are higher users, do it the other way round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now