Cooking Apples!

(9 Posts)
Mum2Fergus Mon 21-Oct-13 13:51:33

Lovely neighbour just handed me a big bag of them! Other than the obligatory crumble, what can I do with them? Can they be frozen in any way?!

cedar12 Mon 21-Oct-13 14:30:34

They freeze really well if you stew them with a bith of sugar. Then you can just defrost them as you need them. They are lovely with toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream.

dyslexicdespot Mon 21-Oct-13 14:41:30

I agree with cedar. Just be sure to freeze them in pie portion sizes.

Pootles2010 Mon 21-Oct-13 14:47:26

I've made this apple cake, its really nice! v moist and will do nicely in packed lunches etc, in fact i've just had a slice with my cuppa grin

Bit odd in that you whisk egg and sugar first then add butter, but other than that its all good.

Clutterbugsmum Mon 21-Oct-13 14:53:37

My sister made these Apple samosas yesterday.

momb Mon 21-Oct-13 14:58:32

peel, core and slice, chucking each piece into a bowl of water with a squirt of lemon in. When you have a pie#'s worth, hoik them out and freeze in a sealed plastic bag with as much air sucked out as you can. they will discolour a little as they defrost but put some blackberries or a load of cinnamon in and no-one will know :-). I find that if I cook before freezing it is basically apple sauce by the time it's defrosted and doesn't make a satisfactory pie.

Mrspebble Mon 21-Oct-13 15:15:15
Fluffycloudland77 Mon 21-Oct-13 18:07:13

You could stew them in the slow cooker for a few hours.

Mum2Fergus Mon 21-Oct-13 18:28:17

Thanks all...made a lovely apple/raisin/cinnamon crumble which we've just scoffed lol the remainder I've peeled cored and sliced and split into freezer bags smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now