Top tips for keeping warm without heating

(71 Posts)

What are yours? I'm sure there are loads of things I haven't thought of. smile Mine are:

Layers of clothes (obvious, I know!)

Fleece lining on the curtains, helps with insulation (I got it really cheap on eBay)

Blankets under the bedsheets

Leave the oven door open after use

Blankets or duvets on the sofas

Rachelx92 Tue 17-Dec-13 18:31:06

Onesies, dressing gowns, cosy socks (all really cheap in primark), jogging around the flat like a mad woman, playing just dance on the wii keeps me warm after for a good hour or so, leaving the oven door open after cooking

I make sure I don't stay sitting for too long in the evening by doing any cleaning/ tidying/ laundry in 10 minute bursts every half hour or so to warm me up before I get too cold.

MadeOfStarDust Fri 25-Oct-13 17:15:44

Go out lots was going to be my input too - we have the library and art gallery, the window shopping in the arcades and the pub or the "working men's club" with a telly in the evening.... if you are not in the heating doesn't need to go on... amazing how long one cuppa lasts in there too...

also open downstairs doors half an hour before bedtime - lets the heat go up.....

chanie44 Fri 25-Oct-13 14:19:47

Go out during the day and use somebody else's heating!!!

Seriously, I was on maternity leave last year and was dreading my heating bill, so I made sure we spent time out of the house most days.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 24-Oct-13 19:41:31

Definitely warm animals on laps.

Electric blanket,and wheaties heated in the microwave.

StephenKatz Thu 24-Oct-13 19:38:56

Sounds awful but DH and I did this one year when things were really tight - go to bed when the kids do.

We still do it now grin We have a 3 and 1 year old so they go to bed at 7, then we do straight after. No need for the heating because the duvet keeps you warm and we have a TV in our bedroom so not going to sleep at abnormal times. I'm in bed right now!

MinimalistMommi Mon 21-Oct-13 19:38:45

LOL InMy you've made me giggle tonight thanks

I wouldgrin, but it's a hassle lugging the blankets all the way there, and the library staff get all unreasonable when the shelves are blocked by denshmm.
Better on balance to keep the dens at home.

MinimalistMommi Mon 21-Oct-13 17:18:36

What, in the library wink

Go to the library a lot, it's always nice and warm there, and smells all bookish and lovelysmile.
Make a den from blankets and cushions, it's nice and cosy, warms up quickly, and feels like an adventure.

OurMrsReynolds Mon 21-Oct-13 16:08:15

We also have hot drinks, I have hot chocolate and the kids have hot diluting juice smile

OurMrsReynolds Mon 21-Oct-13 15:59:07

I have just left the oven open for the first time (can't believe I never thought of that before) cats are sprawled in front of it!

OurMrsReynolds Mon 21-Oct-13 15:55:13

We have a pulley and a clothes horse, I tumble dry knickers/socks/towels but I only wash those items once a week so only use dryer once a week - we have alot of spare pants and socks btw grin

Close the curtains as soon as you can when you get in, I love it when it's dark at night because I just close them about 4pm grin

Keep internal doors closed also means you can't hear the kids arguing

Onesies/slippers/slankets/cat on lap; if I'm really feeling the cold I will get a hot water bottle too

Bubbles1066 Sat 19-Oct-13 21:37:04

Feel around your doors and windows for drafts and stick Sellotape around the seals to stop any drafts. Stick tin foil over any single glazing and behind your radiators to reflect/keep in heat. Your house looks silly but you'll be warm! And yes keep your feet warm at all times.

RenterNomad Mon 14-Oct-13 19:30:20

MoneySavingExpert has just brought out some price-hike advice for those on a prepayment meter, here:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity

nannynick Sat 21-Sep-13 15:15:34

Found some old carpet whilst I was in the attic, so laid that out as well.

Already have an underblanket and padded mattress protector, could add a duvet as well I suppose, though have now laid them out in the loft, so will just leave them there for now.

Good point about heat loss, it's why we wear clothes, they trap air next to our body which our body warms up and thus helps us to lose less heat from our body.

cartoad Sat 21-Sep-13 14:28:51

The other thing old duvets are good for are using as an underblanket under you in bed - under your bottom sheet, to stop you loosing heat into your mattress. It can make the bed feel much warmer because you do lose heat into your mattress - think how warm it is when you get up vs n you got in bed - that's heat that you've provided.

At uni one of my lecturers said that people make the mistake of thinking that central heating is all about warming people up. It's not - it's about controlling the rate of heat loss. We are all giving off heat and once you start to think of keeping yourself warm in these terms it's amazing how you start to think of other things you can do. It's only a subtle difference but an interesting way to think about things!

nannynick Sat 21-Sep-13 14:02:20

Silly question perhaps:

I have several duvets which are past their best. Would those be useful to line the loft? If so, how - do you just spread them out and then stack the boxes junk on top of them?

trippleM Sat 21-Sep-13 09:50:32

If you are responsible for paying the bills you have the right to choose your supplier, regardless of what it may say in your contract. Citizens Advice has the info...

That’s a good idea puss.

pussinwellyboots Sat 21-Sep-13 03:16:12

I hang washing at our bedroom window to dry with the window open. Works best for shirts that I can put on hangers on the curtain rail and dries s really quickly.

chocolatespiders Tue 17-Sep-13 22:43:22

I always put my washing out even in winter I feel if it gets some air through it it dries much quicker when bought in. I have a tumble drier but only use to finish things off for 5-10 mins, never put things straight in from washing machine.

specialsubject Tue 17-Sep-13 22:02:11

to whoever asked: if you have access to outside space, washing dries year round if it isn't raining.

Unfortunately our landlady and agency won't let us change the meter - it's specified in the contract. sad It works out at about £1 a day (less in summer of course) so I guess it could be worse.

RenterNomad Tue 17-Sep-13 19:59:45

Your pre-pay meter will be expensive, TheJoyfulPuddlejumper (google orepay meter and poverty premium) - any chance you could go to a post-billed meter? You could keep track with a power monitor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now