Top tips for keeping warm without heating

(71 Posts)

What are yours? I'm sure there are loads of things I haven't thought of. smile Mine are:

Layers of clothes (obvious, I know!)

Fleece lining on the curtains, helps with insulation (I got it really cheap on eBay)

Blankets under the bedsheets

Leave the oven door open after use

Blankets or duvets on the sofas

specialsubject Mon 16-Sep-13 13:01:29

housework. Exercise outside wearing more clothes. Exercise inside.

Cybercat Mon 16-Sep-13 16:16:37

I agree with the woolly socks too. Nothing worse than freezing cold feet.

DublinDoll Mon 16-Sep-13 16:38:50

Lots of sex ;)

EeyoreIsh Mon 16-Sep-13 17:25:42

yy to warm socks. I transformed my last (draughty sash windows) cold flat by draught proofing front door and windows. I also put up a thick curtain in front of the front door (magic).

Thermal lined curtains that sit below windowsills and above radiators also make a noticeable difference.

Putting silver foil behind radiators made no noticeable difference.

Shutting internal doors helps too.

EeyoreIsh how did you draught-proof the doors and windows?

DublinDoll grin

EeyoreIsh Mon 16-Sep-13 18:30:44

For the front door I used self adhesive tape that was like a 'p', inside the frame. Then on the outside I used brush strip which I tacked into place. I also added a draught proof cover to the key hole and letter box.

I had the windows refurbished and they put brush strips in at the same time. You can also diy it with brush strips on the edge and along the top, but it'll be more obvious.

my heating bill was way less the second year, and I was much snugger.

PipkinsPal Mon 16-Sep-13 18:33:06

I find lighting a few candles warms a room up. It could be just the flickering flame that could be convincing me. But it also saves putting on the lights too.

EeyoreIsh Mon 16-Sep-13 18:36:26
ParsingFancy Mon 16-Sep-13 18:37:49

Problem with using the warm bath water as a radiator is it will make damp much worse, as the moist air from the warm, wet bathroom distributes itself round the house.

You then have to leave the windows open to get rid of the moist air...

Baths are annoyingly difficult to reuse the heat energy from, so probably the most efficient way is simply to share bath water if you can. (Let some out before topping up with hot.)

ParsingFancy Mon 16-Sep-13 18:40:03

Lots of different types of draught-stripping, for different size gaps, windows, letterboxes.

Google, or browse B&Q draughtproofing, etc.

ParsingFancy Mon 16-Sep-13 18:40:42

Aha, which Eeyore has already done!

RenterNomad Mon 16-Sep-13 18:44:18

Secondary glazing is brilliant, but does mean it's hard to ventilate.

Type of food matters: eating ginger and curry when wearing warm clothes can have the same sort of "boost" as having a bath before bed.

Feather duvets rather than polyester

justmuddlingalong Mon 16-Sep-13 18:52:04

When you're at home, leave the key in the inside lock. Saves wind whistling through the keyhole.

dotnet Tue 17-Sep-13 17:27:10

If you have cold hands, wear fingerless gloves. If you're sitting at the computer and feeling cold, fill up a hot water bottle and put your feet on it. Polystyrene is warm to put your feet on/in, as well.

I tore out an ad the other day for some sort of miracle socks which are supposed to be extra cosy. They cost around £12, which is expensive, but I might get a pair in the fond hope that they'll work!

You can buy battery heated socks, as well (try eBay). They look a bit mad, but if they do the trick...

booksandchoc Tue 17-Sep-13 17:38:39

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how will you all dry your wet washing in the winter? After reading the tips here I'm going to try some of them to bring my heating bill down, but I tend to put my wet washing on the radiators in the winter.

dotnet Tue 17-Sep-13 17:50:38

Hi booksandchoc. My guess is that no-one is going to get through the winter without heating - are they? But I think, at the moment, a lot of people are hoping to put off turning on the radiators for as long as possible.
I use the bathroom radiator for drying damp washing as well. But at the moment, and, with luck, for about six weeks or more, stuff will still dry outside if it's sunny.

ParsingFancy Tue 17-Sep-13 18:02:38

If you dry washing by hanging it in the house, you must then get rid of the moist air out before it cools and dumps condensation everywhere.

That might mean opening windows or at least not stopping existing draughts, or it might mean running a dehumidifier (uses a fair bit of electricity).

You'll have to decide what works best for your house and habits.

cocolepew Tue 17-Sep-13 18:19:51

I have faux fur throws over the back of the sofa, they were cheap in B&M and Poundstrecher. They are great for lying under.

booksandchoc I'm lucky and have a washer/dryer. It doesn't impact on our electricity costs (we've got a pre-pay meter which makes it easy to keep track). We have problems with damp so drying clothes on radiators isn't an option.

Thatsinteresting Tue 17-Sep-13 19:00:49

We have an A+++ tumble dryer it cost about £250 but we can't dry on the radiators as the house gets really damp. The dryer collects the water so you can see how much you were releasing into your home, it's a lot. I was on friendly terms with the launderette so did my drying there at the beginning of last winter but it was costing £6 a week.

PestoSwimissimos Tue 17-Sep-13 19:08:21

Thermal vests
Slippers
Hot drinks, mulled cider anyone? grin
Hot baths
Draw the curtains at dusk
Electric blankets or 'hotties'
Fleecy dressing gowns
Brushed cotton pajamas
Brushed cotten sheets
Cat on lap grin

RenterNomad Tue 17-Sep-13 19:59:45

Your pre-pay meter will be expensive, TheJoyfulPuddlejumper (google orepay meter and poverty premium) - any chance you could go to a post-billed meter? You could keep track with a power monitor.

Unfortunately our landlady and agency won't let us change the meter - it's specified in the contract. sad It works out at about £1 a day (less in summer of course) so I guess it could be worse.

specialsubject Tue 17-Sep-13 22:02:11

to whoever asked: if you have access to outside space, washing dries year round if it isn't raining.

chocolatespiders Tue 17-Sep-13 22:43:22

I always put my washing out even in winter I feel if it gets some air through it it dries much quicker when bought in. I have a tumble drier but only use to finish things off for 5-10 mins, never put things straight in from washing machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now