Top tips for keeping warm without heating

(71 Posts)

What are yours? I'm sure there are loads of things I haven't thought of. smile Mine are:

Layers of clothes (obvious, I know!)

Fleece lining on the curtains, helps with insulation (I got it really cheap on eBay)

Blankets under the bedsheets

Leave the oven door open after use

Blankets or duvets on the sofas

Wolfcub Sun 15-Sep-13 19:20:23

hot water bottles and slankets

Wolfcub Sun 15-Sep-13 19:20:46

and draft excluders

Cybercat Sun 15-Sep-13 19:22:53

I read the title and was going to post that I bought thermal linings for our curtains last year but you've included that - does work though.

I keep a blanket on the back of the sofa too.

Sofa throws over the duvet if it's cold as well as underblanket.

I have a draught excluder for the back door - just need to do something about the cat flap!

QueenBoudicea Sun 15-Sep-13 19:23:34

Exercise - a session of shred will keep the blood racing round your body for a good few hours!

ChoudeBruxelles Sun 15-Sep-13 19:24:33

Turn the heating off in rooms you don't use much and keep doors shut

Ifcatshadthumbs Sun 15-Sep-13 19:26:25

Keep curtains closed during the day, keep internal doors shut. A really good pair of slippers.

chocolatespiders Sun 15-Sep-13 19:27:36

Cosy slipper always make me feel warmer. and a long cardi

meditrina Sun 15-Sep-13 19:29:19

Not exactly helpful to many, but menopausal hot flushes help enormously.

For everyone else, it's hot water bottles/slankets/fleeces, and even these kigu onesies

gamerchick Sun 15-Sep-13 19:32:00

Bubble wrap covering the windows. The one with the big bubbles.. spray of water to roll it on and a little bit of tape at the edges.

Tin foil or rolls of soft metal behind the radiator to reflect heat into the room.

noisytoys Sun 15-Sep-13 19:34:37

Onesies and slankets. Layers of fleece smile

Bubble wrap's a great idea!

We have a fleece-lined curtain over the front door too, stops draughts coming in so much (poorly fitted with a flappy letterbox!).

DoItTooJulia Sun 15-Sep-13 19:35:47

Star jumps!

superbagpuss Sun 15-Sep-13 19:37:26

I fed DC porridge this morning, central heating from inside out

soup and hot drinks also work

gamerchick Sun 15-Sep-13 19:37:43

I have a curtain covering the front door as well. really helps to keep any droughts out.

I do agree with exercise if you're nippy. jogging on the spot for a few minutes.

wash dishes or do some ironing (both things I hate doing but they warm you up)

Lots of layers we have a duvet on the sofa I sometimes wear a scarf it has been known to wear a wolly hat and fingersless gloves we so used to not having heating on we stillhave windows open here

aPseudonymToFoolHim Sun 15-Sep-13 19:46:14

Porridge!
And dressing gowns over clothes.

RobotHamster Sun 15-Sep-13 19:46:16

If you run a hot bath leave the water in until it cools- it'll act like a huge radiator. No point all that heat energy going down the plug.

Duvets under sheets work really well.

Lined curtain up at doors.

Yes, hats and scarves feature here sometimes too! We have to have the windows open for at least an hour each day to stop the damp building up, it makes it so hard to keep any warmth in. sad

RandomMess Sun 15-Sep-13 19:49:10

Keep your cat in overnight so you can lock the cat flap shut and even shove a draft excluder over it.

The cats get used to it and act has hot water bottles grin

BornToFolk Sun 15-Sep-13 19:51:46

When it's really cold, I take a cup of herbal tea to bed with me. It warms me from the inside and helps me get properly cozy in bed!

I love my Primark fleece pjyamas, which I wear with a long vest underneath, tucked into the bottoms so you don't get that horrible cold gap around the middle.

I've got Celtic sheepskin bootie slippers which are awesome. Really warm in the winter without making my feet too hot and sweaty. They are starting to wear out though (had them for a few years) and I will have to replace them soon, which is not good as they are not cheap.

MothershipG Sun 15-Sep-13 19:55:02

Lapdog! My youngest dog thinks I'm his personal pre-heated dog bed, only trouble is when it's cold I'm very reluctant to get off my arse. wink

Mothership grin My youngest sleeps in our bed and is a very effective bedwarmer!

zipzap Sun 15-Sep-13 23:17:59

Keep your feet warm - lots of studies have shown that if you put people in rooms of identical temperature but with a draught across people's feet (even one that's warm or the same temp as the room) then those with a draught over their feet will think the room is several degrees colder than those without the draught, even though it's not.

So make sure you have decent stuff to keep your feet warm - warm woolly socks rather than thin cotton ones, slippers etc.

Also thin layers can help - m&s and uniqlo (?) and probably others do thermal tshirts and leggings that are thin and look like normal tshirts rather than the old fashioned damart stuff. But one or two layers of them under normal clothes really help you to feel much warmer. They should be in the shops around now if not already.

The dc have had a set of thermal pjs from m&s the lastcouple of years which if it is really cold they can use as thermal long johns and top under stuff - especially if going out sledging say, and they have found useful. And cosy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now