dh made redundant, now works 15 hours per week, tbh when unemployed we were Better off! now after working extra last year I have less tax credits this year. and I have to pay for bus fares for dds at

(8 Posts)
waikikamookau Thu 29-Aug-13 09:46:23

college.

I have also gained extra hours at work, not to be sniffed at of course.
and of course it is better for DH to work than not.

however we are just getting increasingly skint.

what can we do?

Bonsoir Thu 29-Aug-13 09:51:21

Poor you.

I am increasingly fed up with governments that don't understand the economics of working versus not working...

RedHelenB Thu 29-Aug-13 14:10:08

With 24 hours work between you, you certainly should be better off working so i would check your tax credit amount is right.

Charlesroi England Thu 29-Aug-13 17:28:35

Are you paying back an overpayment from last year? They base this years payment on last years earnings, but if you are now earning less give tax credits a call and let them know.

Other than that, I can only suggest you see if you can cut back anywhere. There are plenty of tips on here and MSE on how to make a little go further.

And congrats to DH on his job. Hopefully it'll be a stepping stone to better things.

LIZS Thu 29-Aug-13 17:31:07

but haven't all tax credits reduced year on year so you my have taken a hit anyway.

waikikamookau Thu 29-Aug-13 19:12:43

thank you, it is annoying that last year I was earning extra and now I am not, and Now I have to pay for the college transport, due to too high a pay.
I spose I could call them,
and we are paying extra council tax and extra housing benefit,
it is all a knock on effect which is ludicrous

Charlesroi England Thu 29-Aug-13 22:28:44

I don't know if it'll do any good, but councils do have a discretionary fund to top up housing benefits. It wouldn't hurt to ask ...

Fingers crossed you get more tax credits.

Crumbledwalnuts Thu 29-Aug-13 22:31:55

Agree with Bonsoir. Well done you for keeping it up. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now