Finally did it!

(19 Posts)
TeaAndSconesTwice Wed 18-Sep-13 22:15:29

Good luck grin

Bluecarrot Wed 18-Sep-13 22:12:50

I had a book years ago about once a month cooking. If you google it or "oamc" there will be loads of great recipes you could adapt slightly if you have the freezer space.

In the book she would make eg meatloaf, meatballs, cottage pie, bolognese, lasagne all in one day, then freeze.

I loved it when we had a bigger freezer. Now we have just 1.5 drawers and its just enough for basics like ice cream, frozen peas and emergency pizza, chips and fish fingers!

HollyBollyBooBoo Wed 18-Sep-13 22:06:09

Seriously carb heavy aswell!

MissMarplesBloomers Sun 15-Sep-13 08:15:13

Also limit the avocado dishes...yummy but expensive

I find alternating veggie/ meat dishes helps too. We don't need meat every night.

makemineamalibuandpineapple Sat 07-Sep-13 10:06:59

Well done but there is quite a lot of repitition. As other posters have suggested, perhaps look on the MSE boards if you need more ideas.

mumtoblaire Fri 06-Sep-13 19:02:47

Sorry not had chance to get on computer. Here is four week meal plan and two weeks and all going well. Some days had to be swapped about but not went near shops yet.

wk 1
Sun Gammon joint (done in slow cooker ) with roast potatoes & veg
Mon Pork fajitas with Avocado, Peppers & Rice
Tues Pasta with sauce & Avocado,Tomato, Mozzarella
Wed Pizza
Thur Baked potato with cheese & ready meal
Fri Pasta with Pesto, peppers & chicken
Sat Chilli with rice

wk 2
Sun Spaghetti bolognaise
Mon Chicken with sauce, rice or noodles.
Tues Pork(from last week), baked potato, peas & sweetcorn
Wed Mince & potatoes (done in slow cooker)
Thur Pizza
Sat Take out

wk3
Sun Roast Chicken with potatoes, and veg
Mon Chicken with sauce, rice or noodles.
Tues Chicken fajitas with Avocado, peppers & rice
Wed Chilli with rice
Fri Pasta with sauce & Avocado, Tomato, Mozzarella
Sat Gammon joint (done in slow cooker ) with roast potatoes & veg

wk 4
Mon Pork fajitas with Avocado, Peppers & Rice
Tues Pasta with sauce & Avocado,Tomato, Mozzarella
Wed Pizza
Sat Chilli with rice

HeavenlyYoni Mon 26-Aug-13 22:11:50

Which supermarket, out of interest?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 26-Aug-13 22:03:00

Theres lots of recipes on moneysavingexperts forum, mainly under the grocery challenge.

Theres books on amazon for kindles with wartime recipes in them, I haven't read them yet but I will when I haven't got bb. I always think they could be adapted eg I don't have dried egg but I could use fresh.

Don't forget to chop and freeze veg if you can, I do courgettes, carotts, celery, onion and roast potatoes because it just makes getting a meal on the table that little bit quicker.

The hardest part for me is the look of horror on dhs face when I ask him what he wants for dinner next week.

lifesgreatquestions Mon 26-Aug-13 21:21:30

I also look forward to seeing your meal plan. I've tried to do this on a weekly basis but quickly lose my way!

LoganMummy Mon 26-Aug-13 21:18:41

We started doing this about eight weeks ago (shortly after DD was born) and I love it!
I can see we're beginning to get a bit stuck with same meals so suggestions would be great.

mumtoblaire Mon 26-Aug-13 21:12:01

Thanks guys fingers crossed

Includes everything for me, DD1 & DD2. DH buys cup a soups and Nutragrain bars on a monday morning to cover his lunches all week.

I will post meal plan tomorrow as just sat down and time to watch Breaking Bad.

MissMarplesBloomers Mon 26-Aug-13 20:38:57

Well done brilliant feeling isn't it?!

racingheart Mon 26-Aug-13 20:34:01

brilliant idea to do it for four weeks. I do it a week at a time which can mean we end up eating the same stuff over and over again.
160 for four weeks is amazing. Does it include lunches?

ooh yes. I meal plan after a fashion but it always goes skewiff at some point. I could use a bit of inspiration

Mum2Fergus Mon 26-Aug-13 19:37:03

Fantastic...well done you! Share some of your meals with the group...always after some inspiration!

smile

roughtyping Mon 26-Aug-13 17:59:53

Sorry!

Is there any chance you could post your meal plan? I need help..!

roughtyping Mon 26-Aug-13 17:59:32

Well done! Is there any chance y

cozietoesie Mon 26-Aug-13 17:55:27

Well done - and best of luck with it.

smile

mumtoblaire Mon 26-Aug-13 16:33:32

After hearing on here time and again that meal planning saves you money I finally did it.

I wrote out 4 weeks of meals at the weekend. I went shopping today with my list and got everything for 4 weeks.

Spent £160 but should only need one milk/bread top up and fresh bananas/tomatoes.

So happy not to have to think - What is for dinner tonight? Meal plan is on fridge and DH is on boardsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now