Austere August come join us!!

(315 Posts)
takeaway2 Wed 31-Jul-13 18:42:47

New thread. smile

roguepixie Fri 30-Aug-13 16:03:59

Congrat's to fluffy and confused for getting your house's sorted. flowers brew cake and wine tonight for you grin.

Can't even begin to think about what I have spent today...here goes:

£20.00 haircut for DS. He is "at that age" where only salons will do shock.
£90.00 on school shoes for DS ... I know, I know. It's an obscene amount but he takes adult shoes.
£70.00 on underwear: vest, pants etc.
£201.00 on blazer, trousers (x2), scarf, beanie, PE shorts and vest top, tie, bag, gloves (x2).
£30.00 on pencils, pencil case, geometry set etc etc.
Total: £419.00 <<<faint emoticon>>>

I am off for a lie down and a stiff drink.

roguepixie Fri 30-Aug-13 16:12:19

On the plus side hmmconfused ... I was chosen to test the Mr Muscle Touch-Up Cleaner so got sent a bottle for free. As Tesco says...every little bit helps smile.

confusedofengland Fri 30-Aug-13 17:30:08

Well, today has been NSD, which is great. However, I fear I have made a great big fool of myself. We went for a big (30+ families) group picnic at a local massive park. Having a lovely time, DS2 asleep in pushchair after a hard morning at nursery, DS1 off playing with friends, me chatting with lovely mums. Then, when the time came to fetch DS1 to take them home, I could not find him shock I looked round the whole huge play area 3 times to no avail, then started panicking. About 5 or 6 other mums plus older siblings joined in the search, and I was in tears blush He was found in a hidey hole after about 15 minutes. Feel very blush though, as I only really knew about 4 of these other mums well, the others I have maybe seen around, and they probably think I am a silly person who cries at nothing now! Maybe pg hormones is a good excuse wink

rogue grown up DCs sound expensive...

roguepixie Fri 30-Aug-13 18:09:41

confused, gone are the days of making things last another few weeks or a month. The school stuff really is a drag - we are only allowed to buy much of it from the school shop (you can buy underwear, socks, shirts and shoes from other shops, everything else is from the school). The lady helping to relieve me of my money today said "Ah well, at least he's had two years wear of the last lot". I was hmm, "no, this is the third blazer, third lot of trousers, third PE kit - you name it, I need the next size" She was shock and I was "yep, welcome to my world". He's 13, 6 foot tall, 42" chest and size 10.5 feet ... and he shows no sign of slowing down!!! Perhaps if I stop feeding him ............. wink

On another note, sorry you got frightened today. It is the single moist nauseating horror-filled experience when you think they've gone. So glad he was found safe and sound.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 30-Aug-13 18:40:21

thank you smile it's my first house that's mine. well ours wink.

I want to get away from bt so I will complying in writing when I find the printer.
my dh was 6'3" at 14. he stopped growing at 14 though so there Is hope for you rougue.

im on my phone, it doesn't do capitalssad

MadameLeBean Fri 30-Aug-13 18:47:31

We are just about to return home from "budget" holiday in France.. Well we started off badly cos we didn't realise we had booked the ferry for the Friday morning not the Sat morning (how can I have been so dumb not to read the confirmation!) so had to pay £143 for new boat ticket (we had paid £35 for it online because the boat was at 6am - to save money!!)... Anyway fast forward 14 days and somehow we have spent hundreds of pounds on petrol food and bits here and there... (We are staying with family)
Basically have no money till January now ... Stressing about Xmas!

Thatsinteresting Fri 30-Aug-13 19:23:03

Congratulations to all with new homes, it's such a great feeling when it finally happens. Although as you've all mentioned it can be expensive too.

Confused I really wouldn't worry. We have all been there. Thinking you've lost your child is the worst feeling imaginable and although he wasn't missing long I'm sure it felt like forever. I would never judge a mum for getting upset in that situation. Your behaviour was perfectly normal.

Have done a very small shop but meal planned for the rest of the month so will only need fruit and milk. Next door neighbour has given us a load of tomatoes and said we can pop over and pick any ripe fruit while he's away. I will probably take anything that is windfall type as that'll just rot and give him a job to do when he gets back. I'll make some jam/chutneys and leave him a couple of jars as a thank you.

AdoraBell Fri 30-Aug-13 19:36:12

Confused I'm so glad DS was found safely and so quickly. Please don't feel bad about crying, I would have been distraught too.

Rogue it's funny how other people assume someone's DC gets two year's out of school uniform, not. MY DDs are also in adult size shoes, average feet here are small, but school type shoes aren't as expensive, luckily.

I spent a fiver this morning, bread and meat for the dogs. Tonight there will be parking and a snack for DD2 to pay for as DD1 is being treated to cinema by her friends. There's one friend going whose mother I don't want driving my DDs so I'm helicoptering.

roguepixie Sat 31-Aug-13 10:55:06

Adora, that's so true - I am happy for you if your DC get masses of wear out of clothing but I have never managed to get two years worth of wear out of anything with DS. smile He has always grown really quickly (by the time he was a year old he was wearing clothes for a two year old). He has slowed up more of late but sleeve length and leg length are ever increasing and he can't go to school with cuffs up to his elbows and hems up to his knees grin. I was shock at the length of his shins the other day...I mean, wow!! He's taller than DH now (haha, now he knows how I felt two years ago) smile and will get taller!!!

Spent £2.60 on ebay postage this morning and 90p on a first class letter (for DH). No other spends on the horizon today but, to be honest, I haven't recovered from yesterdays horrific spend-fest.

roguepixie Sat 31-Aug-13 10:55:59

Obviously mean 'you' as in all the anonymous 'you's' out there...not you specifically, Adora, grin.

takeaway2 Sat 31-Aug-13 12:40:16

Hi all
We are back from the hols! Will catch up in a bit but suffice to say money was spent. Having said that, we has many people treating us to food and shop so the damage could have been much much worse.

Also perhaps a blessing in disguise... Whilst at heathrow I received a phone call from my credit card people saying that my card has been frauded (bastards cloned it and spent money..!). Good news was they were refunding the spent immediately. Even better news was I couldn't charge purchases on it!! grin

It meant that I was forced to use cash most of the time and it was well... Helpful on the pocket.

Catch up soon!

AdoraBell Sat 31-Aug-13 19:25:56

We were stuck in trafic last night, 4 hours for a 30 minute journey so DD missed her friends, t'other one has not party bags for today and instead of a few quid To park I spent £14 in McD's - at 11pm.

Will also catch up later.

Helenagrace Sun 01-Sep-13 08:05:09

Just got back from holiday. Lovely to read new house news!

Sorry you DS went missing confused. DD did that to me once. I'd just got out of hospital having had a m/c and a massive anaesthetic reaction and she went missing for 10 minutes. I think you could have heard me in the next county! I'm sure all the other mums would have done the same.

We've had a spendy summer but the autumn is going to be way more frugal!

roguepixie Sun 01-Sep-13 19:29:36
AdoraBell Sun 01-Sep-13 20:00:57

Signing off August with an NSD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now