What shall I buy from Sainsburys value range?

(57 Posts)
iloveholidays Wed 10-Jul-13 20:38:35

I'm fed up of spending so much money at Sainsburys/Tesco. I'm off to sainsburys tomorrow night so want to try some of the basics range so looking for you MNetters to advise what's worth trying...?

TIA

gazzalw Sat 13-Jul-13 09:19:22

I think there is a product trial waiting to be done here.....MumsnetHQ!

Can you feed your family on supermarket 'Basics' for a week? How much money did you save and what do you think of the overall quality of the food?

MERLYPUSS Sat 13-Jul-13 09:56:32

A Girl Named Jack gets all her basics in Sainsbos. Look on her blog perhaps?

gazzalw Sat 13-Jul-13 10:27:20

Thanks for the tip-off Merlypuss! Actually DW does buy a lot of Basics together with the Gourmet Cat Food - but we don't skimp on meat.....

Even on Basics I can't see how you could feed a family on £14 for a week (as detailed on another thread)....

rightsaidthread Sat 13-Jul-13 10:48:48

I've switched to sainsburys in recent weeks after getting a glut of money off vouchers.

Basics cornflakes 31p just as nice as Kellogg's

Basics Rice Krispies not as nice but ok.

Cistern blocks are good, cookies have had no complaints from dc's

Someone else mentioned the noodles 15p I think, they are lovely

BuildMeUpButtercup Fri 26-Jul-13 18:53:09

I use Sainsbury's basics range and can heartily recommend:

- basic garlic baguettes (just as yummy as the big brands that are more than double the price!)
- basic biscuits such as Rich Teas (approx 45p) (made a chocolate fridge cake with this and Sainsbury's big bar of basic milk chocolate (35p) the other day which was to die for!)
- The basic cheese is nice too if you like mild cheese. If you prefer your cheese stronger though you might not like it.
-

dotnet Wed 31-Jul-13 13:35:24

Their basics instant coffee in a bag (you decant it into a jar) is good, and so cheap. Agree with purpleroses that the smoked salmon trimmings (£1 I think) are fine, and feel like a treat.

FoFeeFiMum Wed 31-Jul-13 14:09:34

From the value range (orange and white):
- a resounding yes for the chocolate
- sweet popcorn munching some now
- mozarella pearls (though I also think the feta is a mite dodgy)
- and the DC love the pizzas - £1.50 for a 10" and you can always add a bit more cheese and toppings

From their own brand:
- reduced sugar and salt tomato sauce - 95p a bottle compared to £2ish Heinz (even convinced DC it is better as there are 2 tomatoes on the picture and only 1 on Heinz :-)
- cheerios, shreddies and weetabix - lower in salt/sugar than branded and lower price
- their pull up nappies (not sure about the other types as haven't tried them myself)
- chocolate spread - they do a whole range of flavours not just nutella imitation
- seedless raspberry jam for DC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now