talking to utility companies

(7 Posts)
superbagpuss Tue 02-Jul-13 08:05:45

Hi

for the loast few years we have been over paying for gas, electricty and BT (built up a small debt on that one but now cleared). Each year they return the overspend - DD comes to more than annual bill - but now I could really do with having the amount of my DD reduced.

Everytime I have mentioned this before they have fobbed me off saying they cannot do that as our spending may increase.

Howevere we have a credit balanmce on each account and need the money.

Anyone know what I can say to make them realise that we could do with reducing the DD to a sensible level without having an account in arrears?

Thanks

Rockchick1984 Tue 02-Jul-13 09:24:34

Just insist on having it lowered - threatening to cancel the direct debit and pay by bank transfer worked for my dad when he was in the same situation!

specialsubject Tue 02-Jul-13 15:20:07

yes, insist. Direct debits should be adjusted to reflect what you actually use. If the first person refuses, demand to speak to the next person up.

superbagpuss Tue 02-Jul-13 15:44:46

thanks

gas and electric fine, managed to get both reduced and a little bit of cash back

now for BT sad

specialsubject Tue 02-Jul-13 16:17:05

brilliant. Take no prisoners! (also to check that you are paying your BT Line rental on the line rental saver, knocks off about £40 a year)

superbagpuss Tue 02-Jul-13 17:12:20

BT very nice too

wish I had been more assertive and done it months ago

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 02-Jul-13 19:11:32

Try not to think about it, it's better than just hanging over the cash every month forever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now