Juggling July - Frugaleering into Summer

(384 Posts)
roguepixie Mon 01-Jul-13 06:29:24

New thread for everyone here.

Tommetipsy Wed 31-Jul-13 20:37:50

thanks Rogue, I didn't know that instalments was possible.

Ended up spending loads today on lunch out and ice creams with a friend and her DC's. Was worth it though.

mmmm omlette Adora sounds yum.

AdoraBell Wed 31-Jul-13 19:13:30

Didn't pay the Pilates teacher, have to do it Friday. Today we'll be eating out but keeping it cheap. Meetings at school messing up everything, not enough time to come home and eat before, too late after.

I'm hoping to keep it to £20 unless OH joins us coz I'm not cooking late tonight

I'm currently prepping my lunch, omlette with left over chips from DDsgrin, peas and small amount of bacon.

takeaway2 Wed 31-Jul-13 18:54:43

Sorry! Am on phone couldn't link. Thanks rogue! wink

Just to finish off the Juggling July thread we managed an at home NSD today - DCs finishing off building and decorating their den/tree house at end of garden - finally a use for their old cot which I could never get either of them to sleep in as babies !

I guess in the end we went the co-sleeping/ cot for later use as tree-house route of parenting grin

roguepixie Wed 31-Jul-13 18:49:12
roguepixie Wed 31-Jul-13 18:48:20

Can you link to it please ... can't find it sad

takeaway2 Wed 31-Jul-13 18:43:16

Just started one. Austere August!! See you there!

takeaway2 Wed 31-Jul-13 18:41:28

Omg Tomme. That's horrid. Lets hope they allow you to pay by installments. hmm

Was going to be NSD but dd came with me to sainsburys to get DS's prescription and wanted some cake. So we got some 3 for 2... £1.98.

Has anyone been kind enough to set up an August thread?? wink

roguepixie Wed 31-Jul-13 18:23:11

Tommee - get your DH to call HMRC straight away. They are very very willing to sort out a planned repayment and will set up a Direct Debit in order to get the money back in stages. It's worth a call.

Thank you everyone for your congrat's re: DS. He's amazing. My buddy and my best creation. grin <<proud Mum emoticon>>

Adora, oooooh, enjoy Waitrose. I love them. They are my supermarket of choice ... (probably shouldn't say that on a frugal thread)<<< ... hangs heads>>>

confusedofengland Wed 31-Jul-13 18:05:27

sad Tommee Will your savings cover it? Or will they let you pay in installments? It is frustrating & scary when you have to find so much at once.

Rogue well done DS!

Welcome to the newbies, dyeing clothes is great, we did it with DH's jacket that got left in a sunny window for ages & it meant he didn't have to buy a new one. Just make sure you wipe the seals of your washing machine thoroughly afterwards.

Spent £15.77 at Tesco on top-up bits, shouldn't need to go for another week or so now (and it's been a while since I did a 'big shop' so pleased with that.

Tommetipsy Wed 31-Jul-13 17:49:13

I don't think so Adora. We had to put so much into fixing the dry rot. We have a small amount of savings but this was supposed to be going towards a visit next year to my best friend who now lives in Dubai.

AdoraBell Wed 31-Jul-13 17:25:55

Ahhh, that's crap Tommee has he got funds to cover it?

Tommetipsy Wed 31-Jul-13 16:35:06

Limps back onto the thread. Have been doing ok but DH dropped a bombshell about being fined by HMRC for late tax return for his business. He was self employed for a couple of years (IT contractor). The fine is £1300. I could cry today.

I feel numb. I've been so careful with money and he's been an arse.

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?qid=1374706551&rh=n%3A266239&me=A2OAJ7377F756P&sort=price If you something for amazon and you want cheaper postage buy one of the books off here, as long as it is fullfilled by amazon it's free super saver postage.

There's a way round everything isn't there?.

Sorry you got stung by postage Exasperated, we've all done it. Royal mails websites good for working out p&p before you list.

ExasperatedSigh Wed 31-Jul-13 14:09:17

£4.50 on ice creams in the park,,£1.50 parking, £2.50 on mini golf. Posted some more nappies off, got stung on postage sad Wish I'd held out for a better price for them now.

Plumber coming to fix toilet this afternoon, so will be about 80 quid.

rogue well done your DS!

AdoraBell Wed 31-Jul-13 13:13:58

Waitrose is coming to Chile! Only in the form of placing products in a local supermarket. Haven't looked yet as I'm sure the prices will be over inflated because of being English.

Rogue Wow, two solosgrin

confusedofengland Wed 31-Jul-13 11:51:03

So far just £3.15 on mouthwash for dh (he likes the expensive stuff!). Had a Starbucks today after swimming, but paid using gift card, which was a groupon deal to buy a £10 card for £5. Boys had babycinos, which were free (50p at Costa!)

Ended up making cheese scones yesterday, yum

£1.65 in morrisons, they have leaflets at the end of the aisles with vouchers on the back. One voucher is for £5 off a £35 shop until 11.08.13.

roguepixie Wed 31-Jul-13 09:33:33

Adora, thank you DS had a great time in Prague. He was even chosen to sing a solo twice shock. Am so proud. He is such a normal 13 yo (eg he can drive me mental one minute and bring tears to my eyes the next) but he sings like an angel. Beautiful to listen to (goodness knows where he gets it from??)

Anyway, had a slightly spendy day yesterday - lunch out, cinema and a book for DS. Am being very careful with everything though so all of it was planned. For me, that is the major thing - to plan the spends rather than run amok in the shopping centre!!

AdoraBell Tue 30-Jul-13 23:58:28

Me too Fluffy and I've had sever sunburn here, midday, too busy looking after toddler DDs at a motorway service place and I didn't realise my back wasn't in the shade, mid summer so I had a vest top on. Plus I forgot to out sunblock on my back. I don't care who tells me I'm being fussy MIL when I insist on sunblock.

Anyway, spent £40 between two supermarkets, £2.40 on roads and £3 on parking.

ExasperatedSigh Tue 30-Jul-13 21:51:15

Welcome to all the new froogs smile

Another NSD here.

daisychicken Tue 30-Jul-13 20:29:44

NSD yesterday but £80 in Asda today (£30 was meat which is now divided up & in freezer & will last several weeks) plus £5.25 at kids am. Planning the rest of the week to be NSD's smile

takeaway2 Tue 30-Jul-13 20:15:50

NSD 13!! grin Hopefully ending July with another one tomorrow which will take me up to 14.

That's good Adora, I hate sunburned skin. I've seen some shockers in this country.

dofreestuff.com/ Don't know if this is any good but it was on superscrimpers.

AdoraBell Tue 30-Jul-13 18:43:33

Everyone is welcome, hope the dyeing comes out well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now