This cash thing realy works, doesn't it ?

(13 Posts)
Wishihadabs Tue 25-Jun-13 13:59:38

I have obscenely overspent the last 2 months and just couldn't work out why. We realy have plenty of money (fortunate I know) and would like to be able to go away this year instead of frittering it away.

So as of yesterday (payday) I have taken out my spending money for the week and I can't believe how effective it is. So far I have bought strawberries and cream at sports day (£6 for 4), sent something recorded delivery (disorganised) £6, had an aerobics class (£4) and put £10 petrol in the car. (The first time I have ever paid for petrol in cash btw). So I have blown £24, but if that had all been on a card I would have said I'd spent £10 (strawberries and aerobics class) the rest of it I just wouldn't have counted amazing.

Bluecarrot Tue 25-Jun-13 14:07:52

Are you writing stuff down too? At the start I did and then put it under either "want" or "need" category.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 25-Jun-13 15:29:38

It's a good habit to get into. I bet you'll save loads.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Jun-13 19:28:55

£26. (Buy a calculator with some of the savings. grin)

Wishihadabs Thu 27-Jun-13 10:21:22

Can't believe what an eye-opener this is ! I am finding myself being much stricter with the dcs, sure it's much healthier too saying no to snacks and drinks.

cozietoesie Thu 27-Jun-13 15:29:24

It works very well indeed. Somehow, putting it on a card isn't so real and it's very easy to lose track of how much you get through - especially if you're used to internet shopping for things.

Well done.

Triumphoveradversity Thu 27-Jun-13 16:11:37

I'm glad it's helping. I am the opposite though and use a card for everything as I get points. I just say no all the time to the dc!

Vickibee Thu 27-Jun-13 16:14:59

we paid cash at a local shop for a high ticket item and got £150 knocked off our new bed - haggled. and got free delivery thrown in CASH is king

cozietoesie Thu 27-Jun-13 20:17:20

I card most things to get points, Triumph, but for many people that's a later stage I think - once you've got yourself under control.

smile

Triumphoveradversity Thu 27-Jun-13 22:43:42

I lost forty quid in the street in 1997 and still haven't recovered, that was when I started to put stuff on my card.

ilovecakes Sat 06-Jul-13 22:46:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aladdinsane Sat 06-Jul-13 22:50:51

i get £26 too
who needs a calculator - any more bids

ilovecakes Sat 06-Jul-13 22:54:29

Oops, apologies, turns out it's me that needs one! Too much wine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now