How much do you spend on groceries?

(62 Posts)
LadyCatherinedeBourgh Wed 19-Jun-13 14:19:42

Just looked at the breakdown of our budget for the month and we have spent c. £100 per week this month in the supermarkets! That's for me (a SAHM), DH and DD (2yrs). Baby no 2 due in a matter of weeks so want to reduce spending as will have additional expenses e.g. more nappies etc

I already shop in Lidl (not exclusively as find you can't get everything there), cook from scratch most of the time, switched from Pampers to Lidl nappies with success and tried cheaper washing powders without success.

What do you spend weekly in the supermarkets? Any tips for reducing spend?

DublinDoll Wed 31-Jul-13 19:29:54

Around €140 (about £122GBP I think). Groceries here (Ireland) are very expensive. 2AD and 2CH. I really could do with cutting back as we can't afford it.

Teddy555 Fri 26-Jul-13 16:25:42

Try to only buy the food you'd immediately cook, otherwise you risk throwing a lot away. It does wonders for me and my household. Also take a look at how much food you throw away. E.g. chances are mayo goes off before you finish it, so get a smaller tube/bottle. Or don't use kitchen roll for stuff you can wipe off with a normal tea towel. It's those little tricks that help you save up money.

notso Tue 09-Jul-13 15:05:18

My budget is supposed to be £100 per week for 6 of us. DH, DD 13, DS1 8, DS2 2, DS3 17mo and me. I usually end up going over by £20-30 but really need to sort it out.
That includes one in nappies full time and one in cloth for the day and a disposable at night. I use mostly cloth wipes and face cloths although we do get cheap wipes from a friend at a nappy factory, I use them for cleaning and out and about.
Fruit is a big part of the budget and one I can't see how to reduce. We can go through a pack of bananas, apples etc a day.

LittleMissMedium Tue 09-Jul-13 14:48:07

I had to cut out bread because it was making me feel terrible. I also cut out mince and use Quorn instead, which is fab and so quick and easy to cook.

For me and DH, I'd say it's no more than £35 a week maximum. I don't buy biscuits or chocolate and rarely buy crisps though I do feel we eat really nice food. I love the A Girl Called Jack blog for recipes, fantastic.

MinimalistMommi Mon 08-Jul-13 10:09:45

Agree about the carrots Found

MinimalistMommi Mon 08-Jul-13 10:09:17

Bananas are a super frugal fruit to eat aswell, even the Fairtrade ones which I always buy, they work out at approx 10- 12p each.

FoundAChopinLizt Mon 08-Jul-13 09:58:11

Mrs Robert

I actually put carrots in the fruit bowl as cheap decoys...

Strawberries/rasps are a once a week treat here, and then only in season. Melons/pineapples/mangoes have been £1 each recently so better value and can be passed off as pudding with a bit of icecream.

lljkk Mon 08-Jul-13 09:56:31

Probably about £130/week. 2 adults, one teen, 3 at primary school. Includes lots of fruit+veg, some clothes & stationary, Little booze, doesn't include cat needs, or some cleaning materials.
It's quite rare that any food is thrown away.

Nicknamefail Mon 08-Jul-13 08:53:08

Theory= the money.

Nicknamefail Mon 08-Jul-13 08:52:06

We spend about £70 for 3 of us. We have at least 3 vegetarian meals a week, and I spend theory I have saved on that on 'treats.' Am always shocked by how much cheese costs.

Mrsrobertduvall Mon 08-Jul-13 08:40:11

I spend about £1000 a month on food.
2 adults, 2 very hungry teenagers.

No processed food, junk, fizzy drinks.

I spend a fortune on fruit......we go through at least 2 punnets of strawberries a day, 1 of raspberries, 8 apples, 6 bananas.

Giraffeski Mon 08-Jul-13 08:38:24

I will say though that I think the reason we end up spending more is that DP and I are both coeliac, and DD2 and DP are dairy /egg/ soy allergic, and i have to follow the diet as im breastfeeding, so I think that it makes a difference to the grocery bill (eg 250g tub yoghurt, coconut milk, is about £3 odd instead of 69p).

Giraffeski Mon 08-Jul-13 08:34:58

We spend about £100 per week at Waitrose which has been gradually creeping up in recent weeks to £110,£115. Must get it down a bit.
That includes cleaning products, loo roll etc, also baby wipes. I use cloth nappies so no nappies . There is me, DP, 10 yo DD1 and 6 mo DD2.

Oh yes, I knew there was something else I get from Asda! Frozen chopped onion is £1 a bag and lasts ages. We also use the jars of chopped garlic and chopped chillies - they last forever, I can't remember the last time I bought them.

They all taste fine, in fact the onions are more tasty than the cheap fresh ones you can get.

FoundAChopinLizt Sun 07-Jul-13 21:36:14

Joyful

Do you use frozen onions and garlic? I have never tried them..

My food budget is £35-40 a week for me, DH, 4yo DD and 18mo DS.

I shop almost exclusively in Lidl (except for oats, tinned tuna and pasta, which I buy in Asda). The Asda pasta is £2.87 for a 3kg bag so we eat a lot of pasta based dishes!

I buy a kilo of beef mince from Lidl for £3.09, by bulking it out with grated carrot and oats it will do roughly 14 portions (some adult, some child) of cottage pie or bolognese.

I buy frozen veg - the only fresh veg I buy is carrots and a large bag of potatoes.

The only fruit we usually have is apples and bananas, although atm Lidl have large bags of satsumas for £1.79.

I buy cheap toilet roll (think it's £1.89 for a dozen rolls, lasts about 6 weeks) and washing detergent.

If I think of anything else I'll post it!

FoundAChopinLizt Sun 07-Jul-13 21:09:20

I use frozen fish, frozen veg, pulses, loads of eggs (homemade quiche is cheap), I make bread and rolls, make yoghurt, soups, pâtés, baking and so on. I like making things and I like saving money, it feels like we're beating the system.

signorapacino Sun 07-Jul-13 21:02:56

£150+ weekly dh, me, dd16 and ds11. I never know how people do it for cheaper. That does include all household needs eg cleaning, shampoo etc. and that is me consciously trying to keep it down. I'm in awe of people on here who do it way cheaper. It always makes me feel a bit rubbish hmm

PlainOldVanilla Sun 07-Jul-13 20:53:27

We eat alot of of snacks in the evenings, well I don't no more and I've lost a lot of weight grin but DP does so I'm going to start making my own and hopefully that will be cheaper and he will like it and eat it

MissStrawberry Sun 07-Jul-13 20:53:14

That's a lot, amothersplaceisinthewrong. What do you buy?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 07-Jul-13 20:51:13

£150 a week for two. This includes our toiletries, wine, cleaning products. If the kids are home then around £200 -£225 a week.

FoundAChopinLizt Sun 07-Jul-13 20:48:53

Don't buy junk. Cut out biscuits, chocolate, sweets, crisps, soft drinks, cereals, cake, sweetened yogurts/pot based processed, ready meals, basically processed stuff, or stuff with lots of sugar.Drinks are water, milk, tea, coffee wine.

It's a win win for your budget and your body.

Cleaning stuff, I save by making my own sprays, with watered down washing up liquid and multipurpose cleaner and or vinegar.

We spend £600 a month for six of us, youngest is 8, so all big eaters.

PlainOldVanilla Sun 07-Jul-13 20:47:32

About £70 a week for me, DP and baby DD. sometimes this can last up to a week and a half though. We have all meat from the butchers because DP is a PITA. We go through loads of fruit for DD and this includes cleaning products. Doesn't include alcohol but its rare we buy it and it doesn't include dog food we but that in bulk so when we do it works out as an extra that month but one big bag lasts us 2 months. I think we could cut it down but DP won't eat meat free and we don't eat fish hmm.

MissStrawberry Sun 07-Jul-13 20:35:46

I think £100 is a lot for just you and 2 others when I spend about that for 3 children, 2 adults, 2 cats and 2 guinea pigs. I shop at Waitrose, cook everything from scratch and the children also have baked or cooked puddings quite a few times a week.

Alwayscheerful Sun 07-Jul-13 20:34:59

Mostly £100 per week for two of us /3 at weekends, we don't go out much and we buy our meat from the butcher, stock up on good wines when they are on special offer and bulk buy at cash and carry, the rest comes from Waitrose, mostly taking advantage of special offers. We like to BBQ in the summer so we probably spend £200 if we have visitors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now