Sainsburys basic. Any recommendations?

(60 Posts)
fudgelover Wed 29-May-13 09:38:58

I need to cut my food shopping bill. Each week I seem to spend more and more. I shop at sainsburys,just because that is the one nearest to me. Can anyone recommend any of the sainsburys basic range.

racingheart Thu 06-Jun-13 13:51:10

Oh yes, I'd second the part baked baguettes, mozzarella balls, choc mousses (absolutely identical in ingredients and nutritional ratings as their more expensive mousse - I checked) crème caramel and nachos. But as none of these are strictly necessary in a diet, I guess there's basics and basics if you're on a budget.

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 13:03:18

Oh yes, and the big packs of toilet rolls! Nine for £1.96 I think and I actually prefer them to the luxury super-thick stuff.

MrsGSR Wed 05-Jun-13 12:59:39

We bought the basics rolled lamb shoulder, or something similar. Very cheap for lamb and tasted great. managed to get two meals out of it smile

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Wed 05-Jun-13 12:58:00

Part baked baguettes
Jaffa cakes
Fromage frais
Mozzerella
Honey
Parmasan alike
Naan bread
Pitta bread

The only bad thing so far is the tinned sponge pudding

I find their dishwasher tablets fine. Always use them

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Wed 05-Jun-13 12:52:06

Creme caramels. Mmmmmm

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 12:49:37

I was buying the Basics individual peach or strawberry yogurts but found that the six pack of red or orange fruit yogurts at 99p is almost as good value and much nicer.

I used to buy Basics fromage frais for DS because they have less sugar. They were fine.

I have noticed that the Basics butter isn't always the cheapest on the shelf. The price must fluctuate according to supplier.

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 12:43:36

Oh and the chilled, individual cheese and tomato pizza is the only pizza DS will eat.

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 12:41:28

Rice
Kidney beans
Mozzarella/mozzarella balls

Also look in the World Foods section. You will find tinned toms, chickpeas, coconut milk and Indian crisps and snacks at much cheaper prices than in the usual tinned veg section.

nannynick Wed 05-Jun-13 12:32:16

Ready salted crisps multipack. Good size for children.
Chocolate cerealbar, chocchip cereal bar. The oat&rasin cerealbar is not so nice.
Biscuits such as borbons/custcream
Large prawns

racingheart Tue 04-Jun-13 20:55:40

Best basics we get from Sainsbury are:

wholemeal sliced bread (really nicer than the more expensive one) at 50p for 800g loaf
chopped tomatoes
lasagne sheets
dark chocolate 30p
rice
flour

lizabeth0607 Sat 01-Jun-13 13:01:25

I buy the crumpets, pancakes, pittas, garlic bread and dd isn't fussy with the biscuits or fromage frais.

I tested out the 'little ones' nappies- which were awful, left dd with a horrible rash.

And the Icecream is just dodgy, tasteless and bitty… ew!

MERLYPUSS Sat 01-Jun-13 10:15:32

The cream crackers were rank. Every other basics were good. (I prefer Tescos t bags as Sainsburys were a bit perfumed for me)

HappyJoyful Fri 31-May-13 10:08:47

I picked up some Astonish mould / mildew remover in the poundshop and it's unbelievable. Interested to read made in Uk and not tested on animals fluffy shall be investing in some more of their products me thinks!

starfishmummy Thu 30-May-13 21:57:33

I just tried the basics diced pork for casseroles. It was very tasty

Astonish cleaning products are very good too, they are made in the Uk and also not tested on animals.

The orange multi surface cleaner smells like Cointreau.

Only a £1 each too (dishwasher tabs are £3 for 42)

<waits for Astonish to hand me my kick back>

somebloke123 Thu 30-May-13 14:32:50

BikeRunSki

Maybe it is something to do with that - but I wasn't aware that the legislation had been enacted yet?

jeebie1984 Thu 30-May-13 04:47:08

I have to say, since I've needed to watch what I spend, I haven't set foot in a sainsburys store. Even their basic range is overpriced compared to tesco or morrisons. I now shop in tesco and get twice the amount of shopping!

cornypedicure Wed 29-May-13 21:27:56

but yes - can't beat aldi for cleaning stuff

cornypedicure Wed 29-May-13 21:27:25

the tinned tomatoes are okay if you blitz them with a blender though (for a sauce)

Hassled Wed 29-May-13 20:13:49

All the fruit and veg is fine. Butter, flour etc absolutely fine.

I don't like the tinned tomatoes - very watery. And the cleaning products are a bit shit - agree the Aldi or Lidl cost equivalents are better quality.

Idislikemymil Wed 29-May-13 20:11:16

Yoghurts, chocolate mousse, tortilla chips, tin toms and beans, mozzarella, bubble bath, sparkling water, fresh orange and apple juice, hummus, sweet corn, bananas, custard creams, butter.

ArthurCucumber Wed 29-May-13 20:02:32

I tend to go for the simple stuff - i.e. one or two ingredients. The more processed ones tend to be packed full of cheap fillers.

- The big pots of natural yogurt are great - I buy it even when we aren't on a tight budget that week.
- Cartons of tomatoes and kidney beans also a staple in this house.
- Teabags seem to be a bit love-or-hate on MN! I'm not a tea drinker but dh loves them. He likes it strong and pretty rough, though (as it were).
- Fish fingers aren't bad.
- Dishwasher tabs also fine.
- Pittas are fine, just a bit small.
- Tomatoes and strawberries also OK, but quality varies widely according to season. Sometimes you get a lovely punnet full of cherry or plum tomatoes, or tiny, sweet strawberries. Other times it's a bit meh.
- Peppers fine but come in bags where you can't choose colour combination. Sometimes nearly all green, the ones I got today were 3 red, 1 yellow.
- Honey is also fine.
- Hoummus does the job.
- Mozzarella fine.
- Loo roll ain't the softest but it depends how tender of an arse you have.
- Dh reports the muesli is also OK.
- Ground cafetiere coffee is rough but you can save money by mixing it with a better quality ground coffee.
- Digestive biscuits taste OK.
- We buy the bags of white frozen fish fillets. They are lush when deep-fried in my dh's home made beer batter smile

Stuff I don't like - anything with loads of ingredients as it's full of crap. E.g. the ketchup, jam, beans, etc. full of glucose-fructose syrup rather than sugar. Ditto with the ready-made desserts, and any of the ready meals I've tried have been FOUL. We've never tried the meat. Not keen on the apples. Didn't like the nacho chips as found them very salty.

hugoagogo Wed 29-May-13 19:59:07

The chocolate is fine, so is the mozzarella, the trout fillets are wonderful and we always have the jumbo loo rolls. grin

scottishmummy Wed 29-May-13 19:50:46

the kids fromage frais,the bubble bath, brown sauce v vinegary

sparkle12mar08 Wed 29-May-13 19:49:43

We've tried most of the basics stuff and the only things we haven't liked are the teabags (I simply cannot understand why so many people seem to, they are revolting!), and the 'parmesan' and 'brie' (both had an oily texture and eggy taste). Cheddar was fine though. The chocolate was okay but again is oily (not surprising seeing as it has polyglycerol and polyricinoleate in - not things that should come within 100miles of a decent bar). The basics meat is okay if your budget is very pressed, but it does have significantly more water pumped into it than their other own brand or premium ranges - you can tell by the nasty white scum that comes out when you grill or sear it. However the basics salmon trimmings make a brilliant salmon pasta dish in 15mins flat, straight from the freezer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now