Tesco everyday value

(65 Posts)
lucamom Thu 23-May-13 12:13:39

I'm pretty frugal, thought I was being clever only ever buying dishwasher tablets when half price, but this week decided the try Tesco value tablets. Absolutely no difference to the Finish/powerball/ariel etc. we usually use.

The Finish ones are usually £12 for 36 (I got them for £6 last week), Tesco value £1.60 for 30.

Octopus37 Sat 17-Aug-13 19:53:17

My OH likes Everyday Value Sweet & Sour Chicken (95p), my DS's like the Spag Bol. Like the polish, foil and handy wipes. O, have also bought cartons of juice and tomato puree. Plan to try the dishwasher tablets and give the jaffa cakes a whirl, as spent far too much money on after school snacks last year.

knickyknocks Thu 15-Aug-13 19:29:11

Loving this thread! Another convert to the dishwasher tablets.

In our cupboards are EV
Bran flakes
dried fruit
tinned toms
biscuits including chocolate wafer biscuits (plain.or milk - bought initially as were less calories than branded diet biscuits and massively cheaper by at least a pound)
always use EV butter for baking along with EV flour - could never tell the difference in cakes or biscuits to the branded varieties
Have tried the crisps and would say great if on a diet as not many to a pack grin

Going to give some of the other products a go.

GangstersLoveToDance Sun 11-Aug-13 06:48:34

Agree with a pp - pretty much the only Tesco Value thing that I've thought is crap was their Rice Crispies. Hard and tasteless and nothing at all like the real thing. The dc refused to eat them.

Things I regularly buy in Value -
Dishwasher tabs
Washing up liquid (sooo cheap...30p ish)
Kitchen roll and toilet paper
Tinned tomatoes
Tomato puree
Pasta/spaghetti/rice
Scones (50p a pack and lovely)
Beans
Tinned tuna and tinned sardines
Natural Yoghurt
Weetabix/Cheerios/cornflakes
Orange juice
Probably loads more too!

All no better/worse than standard Tesco or in most cases branded things.

SoWorriedPleaseHelp Sat 10-Aug-13 19:06:16

Dh has reliably informed me that the value crunchy peanut butter is nice and so is the value corned beef.

FoofFighter Fri 09-Aug-13 08:54:12

Another new discovery to add to my thumbs up list -

Value Maple and Pecan Crisp cereal - bloody gorgeous!! Could see it made into granola style bars/homemade hobnobs type biscuits too.

IamMummyhearmeROAR Thu 08-Aug-13 22:25:03

I had a bowl of EV Coco Pops tonight. Really nice, crunchier than the branded cereal

FoofFighter Wed 07-Aug-13 18:03:53

Loves here include:

Value Mozzarella balls, around 50p each shock
Value tinned rice pudding
Value tinned mushy peas (need a glug of salt and vinegar in though!)
Value mutligrain crackers - new discovery from last week when i just entered VALUE into the online thing - very small, smaller than a tuc but same kind of texture and v tasty!
Value frozen skinless chicken breasts - HUGE! and they don't shrink really either.
Value Scotch eggs
Value Hummus - a bit coarser in texture but I like that.
Value liver and bacon pate - the ones in a "sausage" shape, great on toast for breakfast

Also a big fan of the world foods/ethnic foods aisle, things like herbs, spices, rice, chickpeas etc are far far far far cheaper than in the normal aisles.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 07-Aug-13 10:50:04

It might have been a bad batch, take it back and ask for a refund/credit note. Why should you lose out?

The ethnic aisle is the place to shop, 400g of curry powder is 1.99!

Growing herbs from a £ shop kit is even cheaper.

SoWorriedPleaseHelp Wed 07-Aug-13 10:34:46

Value Jaffa cakes are yummy!

SoWorriedPleaseHelp Wed 07-Aug-13 10:34:15

I used value mixed herbs with success, however the value thyme is awful!! Have had to throw my dinner away twice as I felt I was eating bits of wood!!

Anyone else had this issue or was mine a dodgy batch?

stealthsquiggle Tue 06-Aug-13 21:46:31

I always use value butter (or anything on offer which makes it cheaper) for baking.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Aug-13 21:22:48

On hotdealsuk it says kerrygold butter is two for £2 tomorrow.

That's cheaper than sp.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Aug-13 21:09:38

Yes, I used to bake with it. It's just butter at the end of the day.

SoWorriedPleaseHelp Tue 06-Aug-13 21:05:50

Has anyone tried the value butter?

Theas18 Tue 06-Aug-13 11:52:12

We use the value washing liquid and softener. Does the job as well as anything else I think...

MinimalistMommi Tue 06-Aug-13 09:06:40

The 35p chocolate for cakes covering in milk is also fine for fairy cakes!

Passthecake30 Sun 04-Aug-13 22:37:15

Yea, about 35p for 100g..used in Brownies here!

stealthsquiggle Sun 04-Aug-13 18:39:12

Do Tesco do an equivalent to the sainsbury basic dark chocolate? That is fantastic value for baking (makes great brownies)

stealthsquiggle Sun 04-Aug-13 18:37:15

Tesco value rice krispie equivalents are a step too far - nothing like rice krispies at all. Normal own brand ones (with the crocodile on) are fine - just like the real thing (with added benefit of being gluten free) but the value ones are nasty.

PiddlingWeather Sun 04-Aug-13 18:33:49

Tesco Value is great. I am a total convert

I have started getting a Tesco shop delivered- mostly value brand goods- every Monday, and meal planning the whole week. Have cut down out weekly shop massively, to between 30-40 quid including delivery, and I cook most of our dinners from scratch.

Branded food is such a massive con. DH's cousin works in a factory in Ireland which supplies Kelloggs and Tesco's cornflakes. Reliably informs us that the cornflakes that go into the respective boxes are exactly the same

Mrchip Sat 03-Aug-13 22:47:06

Ha

Just thought of butter, flour, cream cheese, Greek style salad cheese and cheddar that I also buy in everyday value ranges! All are perfectly good substitutes for a middle of the range product.

Mrchip Sat 03-Aug-13 22:41:16

Ps awful prawns were fresh (bot tried frozen)

Kids orange/apple juice cartons also very good 45p for 3

Thought of another value creme caramels are really really nice

Mrchip Sat 03-Aug-13 22:39:21

Value
Tinned toms
Kidney beans
Penne
Apricots
Raisins
Pitta (small)
Wraps (small)
Flapjack (lovely)
Apples
Pears
Oranges
Onions
Brocolli
Carrots
Tomatoes (very flavourful)
Avocado

Ok/adequate
Fairy cakes
Biscuits
Tinned fruit
Mackerel

Awful
Prawns (very salty)

escape Sat 03-Aug-13 22:34:44

Chilled EV scotch eggs are perfectly fine too smile
the 'Coco Snaps' have no complaints from my kids either.

SoWorriedPleaseHelp Thu 01-Aug-13 19:53:01

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now