Miserly May come help me please!

(358 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 17:20:35

Heeeeelp meeeeee!

Piemother Sat 04-May-13 19:23:53

Went to a charity rugby match today and spent about 8 quid on face painting and tea and donuts - I paid extra as it all went to the charity do I'm not counting that. Otherwise nothing.
Tomorrow I have a photo session for the dc and dm wants to go to a good fair. I am insisting we eat at home for lunch as the food fair is next to some nice restaurants and I want to buy done small treats at the food fair.

I collected tokens for the 16 quid holidays about to book that grin

MamaTo2FabBoys Sat 04-May-13 19:37:51

Hi everyone, so far iv had nsds on Wednesday, Thursday and today so 3/16. As iv been really watching my money (from April) iv managed to buy a cheap printer as my son really needed it for school so am pleased to have something to show for my scrimping and saving smile

CremeEggThief Sat 04-May-13 19:53:05

£5.80 on my Chinese takeaway smile. In the middle of decluttering, so I deserve it!

Leilandri Sat 04-May-13 22:19:27

NSD on Friday and today smile

Spent Friday laundering and line drying just about everything that wasn't nailed down! Took DS's to the park in the afternoon to meet some other children (and their mummies) who will be joining DS1 at school when he starts in September - he's just a little bit excited!!

Spent today at the allotment, lovely to see so many little green shoots coming up smile

Takeaway I got leggings from Asda, good fit, £6 also not brave enough to bare all!

Will have to get juice, squash and pop tomorrow ...

AdoraBell Sun 05-May-13 03:55:04

Okay, here goes

Tuck shop -£4
Lunch, £20
Trainers, mine are giving me blisters on the soles of my feet so I've decided to bin them as they are quite worn out - gift card
Cinema with DDs -£12
Snacks in cinema -£8 didn't take anything with as it wasn't planned
Salad and bread from supermarket-£6
Road home £1.20

I'll try to stay on the rails tomorrow.

DottyDot Sun 05-May-13 10:13:45

Adora sounds like my usual day! grin

However, NSD yesterday which I'm pleased about and should be having a NSD today.

Tomorrow's a different matter... we're having dp's parents round for a barbecue and could do with some sausages and pud, so I'll be doing a bit of food shopping for that.

DottyDot Sun 05-May-13 16:56:51

Ahem. Have been digging in the garden all weekend and couldn't resist buying some plants at Aldi today and some Haribo while I was there so my NSD has turned into a spend of £13... blush

takeaway2 Sun 05-May-13 19:05:21

I knew it wasn't going to be an NSD when the sun came out for real. Decided to go to the beach and ended up getting picnic lunch for under £20 for 4 of us and had to buy buckets and spades (and sand shoes for3 - kids cost £3.99 each and dh was £5.99). Picked up a toy for DS' friend's birthday party for £3.99 which was a good price. Oh and 3 ice creams for £6.

Tomorrow we are meeting friends at another beach but I intend to pack picnic and bring everything we bought today so should be LSD.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 05-May-13 19:26:14

£78 for two pairs of jeans and £30 refund for a broken ironing board, £150 refund for jeans that don't fit.

£2 parking, £1.50! For a drink cos I forgot my water bottle.

AdoraBell Sun 05-May-13 22:08:21

Dotty it would have been normal for me too a year ago.

NSD today, I was about to have a tantrum and go out for lunch but I cooked insteadgrin.

Tomorrow I have to take DD1 to get her ankle checked so that will involve tolls, parking and probably a snack too as it's a 7.20pm appointment.

jenduck Sun 05-May-13 22:45:19

Low spend day today - car boot sale, picked up a rucksack for ds2 starting nursery on Thursday (50p), shorts for same (50p) & a folding fireman Sam fire station for both, door missing so 50p.m. Oh, plus entry of £1.

Leilandri Mon 06-May-13 09:16:25

Spent £14 in Morrisons yesterday, but that included lunch in the café as a treat for my boys.

Heading to the beach today, have packed a picnic and drinks, got buckets and spades already, so hopefully just a few £'s on ice- cream ...

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 06-May-13 09:35:04

Are things like sand shoes sold on eBay? Might be a bit cheaper to buy them in April.

Things are always so expensive at the beach and they've got you over a barrel really because the kids will be raring to go.

MrsDeVere Mon 06-May-13 11:05:31

Not brilliant. Went out on Saturday (very rare) and spent about £40.
Bought me and the boy pizza yesterday because my OH took two of the others out to a family party. DS can't really cope with all that and I am a bit poorly so we stayed at home.
So that was £20 blush

BUT got an email from Park Uk to say they are refunding the entire holiday cost of our disaster at Easter. So thats good!

Just a little tip. I always try and keep receipts but they end up getting lost and ripped. Morrisons do a little plastic expanding wallet. Its the perfect size for receipts.

Its like the document files but the size of two cheque books IYSWIM. It has tabs so you can label it monthly etc.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 06-May-13 11:15:31

Brilliant idea, I could do with one for the petrol receipts.

jenduck Mon 06-May-13 14:08:10

Spent quite a bit today. £40 on a bike trailer for DSes, from Facebook selling page. Bargain as it is practically new & £110+ in shops grin. Then £10 diesel & £1.77 on bread, milk & crumpets.

Fluffy by sand shoes do you mean Crocs, jelly shoes etc? Because I think you could get something like that even at Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys. But certainly you can get anything on Ebay!

MrsDeVere Mon 06-May-13 14:43:19

You can get them at the £1 shops.
I bought several pairs last year for the DCs to wear in the garden. They have all lasted really well. None have snapped.
Unlike the pair I bought at Sainsburys.

I go in and buy handfuls in different sizes and colours.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 06-May-13 14:46:01

Yes that's the kind of thing, when we go away I see swim shoes for over £10 for kids and I always think I bet you could get them cheaper.

I don't mind things being a bit more expensive on days out but these days it's blatant profiteering, I go with dh to events and its £3 for an ice cream, £6 for a burger, £3 for chips and I think it takes the piss.

<puts soapbox away neatly>

£18 on knickers in M&S.

MrsDeVere Mon 06-May-13 15:47:26

Talking of ugly shoes grin

I was in TK Maxx the other day and I noticed they had loads of proper crocs for about £7.

In loads of sizes and styles.

AdoraBell Mon 06-May-13 16:07:29

Fluffy yes, definitely. Especially when you think of how many potatoes you can buy for £3, gives me The Rage, that one.

School run this am was £2.55 going but I came back on the old road. I have my day more or less planned out, nothing to spend until I get DDs later, then rather than come home and go out again we'll go straight into town and do a couple of errands before DD1's appointment. DD2 really needs a new lunch bag, this one has done 2+ years and the insulating lining is breaking up. I want to eat before the appointment too, so we'll go in the cafe at the Clinica. It's a franchise of the local French bistro, but relatively cheap. Unnecassry but preferable to eating at 9.30/10 pm by the time we get back and I cook. I'm also going to take out cash for the week's tolls, forgot at the weekend. All other shopping can be procured locally this week.

IsThatTrue Mon 06-May-13 16:21:48

I failed today. £190 on new bikes for dcs (it's been 3 yrs since their last ones and they are going to pay me half excuses ) and £32 in waitrose because I wanted a BBQ and I had no BBQ food and its the closest supermarket. Oh and £27 to refill the gas bottle for said BBQ blush I'm putting myself in the naughty step!

takeaway2 Mon 06-May-13 17:10:54

I agree re sand shoes when at the beach (being ripped off etc) which was why I thought it was incredibly cheap where I bought mine yesterday!

Today was going to be an NSD then DS had a strop about something and we ended up at waitrose getting some wraps and soft cheese (which to be fair were on the shopping list).

Have you send the price of sun creams???!! Waitrose was doing them for £16-20!!!!! Claiming it was buy one get one free but still!!!!! Mad.
Back to work tomorrow. So should be NSD other than school dinner money.

DottyDot Mon 06-May-13 17:14:19

NSD today. Should be the same tomorrow as long as I can be bothered to cycle in to work - which I need to, given the food and wine I've just put away...

Yes i have. I had to buy some 50+ for DS in Asda it was £7 for one tube.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 06-May-13 18:06:17

Sainsbos do their own brand buy one get one free SPF 50, I have the spray on. I prefer them because its 5 star UVA coverage too. Think I paid £7 for two.

I wasn't impressed with some of the brands, Nivea?, because their UVA cover was only 3 star which even in this country isn't high enough. One of my mums friends died of melanoma in the early 1970's and her doctors said her sun exposure had caused it, course that was the time that it was all about getting a deep tan. It's a pity they didn't start warning people 40 years ago about sun exposure.

Amazon do some of the branded creams too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now