Miserly May come help me please!

(358 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 17:20:35

Heeeeelp meeeeee!

Rosvita Thu 02-May-13 21:15:45

Managed a NSD yesterday but had more than compensated for it on pay day the day before and today [hmmm] . Bought some new clothes and shoes for holiday. Today spent £51ish on food shop, £35 on trainers (wore mine at the weekend and realised I had had them for 13 years since I was 15!!!) and £4.99 on a birthday present for ds' friend's party next w/e (item was supposedly rrp £59.99 reduced to £14.99 in argos plus I had a £10 giftcard). It came in a brown box and when i opened it I realised there was more than enough stuff for 2 presents' worth so will wrap half of it and keep the other half for the next party he's invited to. Also ordered some clothes on my Next account today but planning on returning most of it! Need lots of NSD's now until the 21st.

Rosvita Thu 02-May-13 21:16:06

hmm

I would check quiche freezing by freezing one slice. To stop the rest of the quiche going off I would eat it.

Frittata anyone?

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 02-May-13 23:56:31

Not sure Leilandri but I made a tortilla with our surplus (sadly supermarket / farm shop) eggs on sunday and it was divine.

sweks Fri 03-May-13 06:58:25

Marking my place, need help to keep me on the straight and narrow! Hopefully moving next month and we need every last penny smile

Yes you freeze quiche and Frittata. I freeze in slices so I can just get a slice out for DH lunch.

jenduck Fri 03-May-13 10:00:08

I need to rejoin this thread! Have been on threads for previous months, but seem to fall off the wagon A LOT hmm

We are moving house (to my parents' house, anyway, until new house is ready --if it doesn't all go wrong--) exactly one month from today! Also, DH has just started back at work after a month with no work (contractor) so we need to recover from that.

May spends so far:

1st: Farmfoods - £4.88 (bread, milk, bananas, butter). Asda - roughly £5 (yoghurts, cola, pork pies, cakes for playdate - this looks really bad!). Diesel £20.40.

2nd: NSD smile

3rd: 14 long-sleeved tshirts for DS1 from FB selling page - £6! Really pleased with that. They'll need a wash & most are only Asda or Rebel, but even so I feel I got a bargain, it would be that price for a 2-pack in Asda itself smile Playdate this afternoon at a local farm that has just opened a coffee shop, so expect small spend on coffee/ice creams.

Trying to clear out freezer so it can go in storage, found some lovely venison steaks for tonight for DH & me (£1 from reduced shelf!). DSes will have fishfingers, mash & beans.

jenduck Fri 03-May-13 10:43:12

Oh yes, forgot to add incomings as well as outgoings - sold a Thomas the Tank Engine cushion plus 6 tshirts on FB site for £8 altogether. And found a 1st class stamp in the bottom of my trolley in Asda & 2 pennies on the ground (it all adds up!) grin

Piemother Fri 03-May-13 13:05:33

Just signing in to say I am doing terribly this week. I got food under control and every else fell apart.
Going to town now to buy several things which arnt essential bit I have items to return so perhaps I will break even.
I am buying dd1 her first proper swimsuit now she can be trusted with no swim nappy. Maybe that is essential grin

DottyDot Fri 03-May-13 13:32:16

Today is going to be a spend day for me as it's a colleague's leaving do, but... I'd normally spend at least £30 on alcohol (ahem) but tonight I've cycled in to work and have only brought £10 in cash with me...! So it'll be one drink then cycling home - much more virtuous than usual grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 03-May-13 14:22:30

Hello jen smile Glad DH is back at work, my DH is a contractor too and it is always a bit stressful when there is a gap!

Still at home with a poorly DS1, so no spending today. Tomorrow we are going on a day out with my parents and then staying at their house. Will probably be about £60 in admission and tea and cake, we are taking a picnic for lunch and then dinner at mum and dad's. It is my birthday next week and this is my treat.
Should be a fairly low spend week next week. I don't need nappies, or any clothes or bits for the boys.

AdoraBell Fri 03-May-13 15:08:47

Fluffy the local jam is cheaper but not nearly as nice all the best fruit gets exported so I've been - shock doing without my favourite. Today I'm making jam so fingers crossed. Should be an NSD for me.

I'll read through a bit later.

takeaway2 Fri 03-May-13 18:52:03

Another NSD! smile happy bank holiday weekend everyone!

IsThatTrue Fri 03-May-13 19:06:07

Yest a spent more than planned as DS2 needed age suitable calpol (well the cheap stuff as its half the price) and ds1 had a friend over for dinner so I bought ham and pepperoni so they could make their own pizzas, and a few other bits. All in all spent £8.53.

NSD today, and using the rest of the pepperoni to make me and DH pizza tonight.

racingheart Fri 03-May-13 19:22:12

Just 25p today at school cake stall. Been working from home, ate from freezer and smugly bulked out half a packet of pasta with loads of veg for a macaroni cheese/veg gratin which DC said was the nicest I'd ever made (using el cheapo sunflower marge instead of real butter for the roux.)

But I can't feel too smug because earlier this year my weekly shop was £80 per week (Dh, me, 2 very hungry DSs, 4 pets) but now I can't seem to get it lower than £110. I've switched to cheaper brands for lots of things so can't see how or where the price has shot up. But Dc do eat more suddenly and are growing an inch a month. They hoover up sausages for breakfast intended for an evening meal. Maybe that's why. hmm

Dh has job interview today...

Do you shop in aldi?

CremeEggThief Fri 03-May-13 21:53:09

£12.58, on bread, milk, a Frijj milkshake, two bars of chocolate and a bottle of wine. Oh and bus fares.

I'll read through properly later. Hope everyone has a good weekend smile.

DottyDot Fri 03-May-13 22:59:54

Woohoo! My £10 got me two white wine spritzers! Am ridiculously pleased with myself as that's the least I've drunk at a work do, ever..! Cycled home then had wine which was part of the food shop - money already accounted for by dp so doesn't count!

Tomorrow, Sunday and Monday should all be NSD - fingers crossed...

AdoraBell Sat 04-May-13 00:10:50

Was having an NSD, but it's been a cráppy one so we're eating out tonight. I Did make my blueberry jam though so not a complete waste of a day. Will fess up later as I can't keep DDs out late, we're up early for volleyball tomorrow.

Hope your DH got on ok racingheart.

I know what you mean about prices just going up and up.

I will have a very spendy day as am doing the 1st shop of the month. So need to replace what was eaten last month.

jenduck Sat 04-May-13 10:44:22

Ali yes, it would be great if he had the time off work & we had money to pay bills & do exciting family stuff, but it is a case of no work, no money, so it's a little hairy! Although his pay is rising with each new contract, so hopefully next time there is a break it won't be quite so bad! Hope your DC is better today.

racing good luck to your DH! Re grocery bills, have you tried Farm Foods? £1.60 for 2 x 4 pints of milk & the same for 2 loaves of bread (Hovis, Kingsmill etc), £3 for a large sack of potatoes. Also, try going to your supermarket late at night for reduced fresh food - I can get meat/fish for the month for £20, fruit/veg for no more than £10 & bakery goods for pennies - loaves of bread for 14p, packs of croissants for 30p etc. We do this & my grocery bill is between £100-£200 each month, for 4 (me, DH, DS4 & DS2 + Dcat), depending on what food I have in freezers/cupboards already.

Dottydot sounds like you're doing really well!

Adora hope your day improved.

I have spent just under £9 today on birthday present for nephew - so difficult to find joke books for a 6-year old boy! Only Waterstone's had any & they are dear! Also £2.60 on bus home as DH using car today to transfer our belongings to a Yellow Box in preparation for moving house. He just texted to say that costs £172, not the £86 we were expecting hmm so not impressed with that.

jenduck Sat 04-May-13 10:47:49

Oh, phew, he just texted back that it is security deposit grin Although it still means we won't have that money in the bank for a couple of months sad

AdoraBell Sat 04-May-13 15:19:12

Hope DH's interview went well Racingheart

Jenduck shock at the unexpected Bill, at léast it will come back at the end.

Spend £25 eating out last night because I thought I CBA cooking, turnes out I CBA eating. At léast DDs ate and had a bit if fun. I'm watching DD2 play volleyball not MNing at all, oh no not me roads were £4 To get here on time and there's a Tuc shop. I've had a coffee and bought Gatorade for DDs, DD1 has just wandered over To get me an Apple ( I didn't have breakfast before we left). I shall report the damage later but I'm making today my tríp into town for next week's shopping To cut down on petróleo and roads.

DottyDot Sat 04-May-13 16:23:38

Annoyed because my piano pupil didn't pitch up today so that's money not earned... But so far it's a NSD which is good..! Temptation is ahead as I've got to take dp somewhere (with ds's in the car) at tea time and it would be very easy to offer them a naughty drive thru macdonald's on the way back, but I must resist and cook something at home instead! grin

takeaway2 Sat 04-May-13 18:59:38

Did the weekly shop at aldi today and it was £50. I'm very happy. smile The same would have cost at least £70-80 or more at sainsbos or waitrose.

Had dinner at Burger King which cost £17. I'm quite happy with this.

Hoping its a low spend day tomorrow but am keeping an eye out for leggings or the like to wear under tunics/dresses now that the weather is warmer! No I can't bare it all. I'm too old! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now